Where to go in Hawaii?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

A friend of mine just sprang a December 2011 wedding in Honolulu on us, and we're frantically trying to organize this trip! We've decided to bring the whole family (kids, parents, etc) and make it a family reunion as well (because, heck, why not - it's HAWAII:crafty:). We'll be on Oahu for the wedding, and will probably stay a week there. The question is, which other island do we spend the 2nd week on, considering that my husband and I are the only divers, and we have to consider everyone's interests (youngest - 3 y.o.; oldest - over 70), but we are going to be at least slightly selfish, and want to have good dives. We're OW certified, but haven't had very many dives (working on it!).

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kat

I can attest the big island is also pretty kid friendly. On the other hand it's big so you may do more driving here.

It might help to know how big your group is, what your budget is, and if you want hotel rooms or a condo or house?

One advantage that Maui has for divers IMO is the ability to dive 4 islands (Maui, Lanai, Molokini, and Molokai). Since you're coming in December, you'll be treated to the Humpback whales that spend the winter in the channel between Maui and Lanai. While diving you'll likely hear the whale song, and you'll definitely see them topside. There are also a boatload of land activities as well as great beaches.

I will recommend that if the wedding is during school winter break that you book activities at least a month in advance. That's uber-high season in Hawaii and activities/diving tend to get booked up early.

Thanks all! The group is pretty big - 12 adults and 6 kids, so it's going to be a bit of a gong show (but in a good way). We're trying to get either a large house to accommodate us all (without having to pay $50,000/week for a giant luxury villa!), or at least be fairly close together. The kids are 3-9, but they're all pretty active kids, so hiking, biking, beach, swimming, snorkeling, etc, are all on the list. The adults, for the most part, are more interested in the natural attractions rather than the shopping, nightlife, etc..., and with such a large group, the less driving we have to do, the better. The wedding is Dec 28th, and we're planning on being there just a few days before, so the bulk of our time in Hawaii will be in the first half of Jan. Budget is somewhat of a constraint - it's an expensive time to fly to Hawaii!:shakehead: But I'm sure it'll be worth every penny...

Maui was definitely in the running, but it does seem a bit more expensive. How are Kauai and the Big Island for diving/being family friendly?:confused:

Kat

And Gabe, we'll have to get some diving in on Oahu as well - perhaps with your outfit?!? :idea:

There will be whales right off the Kohala coast of the BI too (and whale poo all over the bottom).

With that group size you will probably need multiple houses. Figure about 1500-2500/wk/house for 6 people per house. Book soon, and be sure to reserve your car now. There was a major car shortage on the BI last Christmas.

Last edited:
Well, after much research, and with your help, I think that we're going to do the Big Island! Unless someone in our party has major objections, that's where I think we'll get the best choice of activities for everyone, great diving for us, and not have to break the bank to do it... Any suggestions for dive operators on the Big Island would be appreciated, and what do you guys think about the night Manta Ray dives? Oahu suggestions (we'll be there 1 week) would be great too! Mahalo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom