where to go in asia? with a non-diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Critics of Bali's situation. Please keep spreading the bad news. This will keep the tourist away and the Bali to myself. Muahhhaa...

Bali is safe. I liked it so much that I will be heading back there 3rd time in 3 mths.

The streets are relatively safe, that I fear not walking at night. The food & accomodation are reasonably priced. Oh, I dun know about the crowded pubs that spills into the streets. Cigarettes smoke stings my eyes more than seawater does.

Stayed in rather peaceful sanur, in a little boutiq hotel that minicks Four Seasons Bali suite at a fraction of the price. With a swimming pool in front of my room.

Been thru their dive spots, to make my 100th dive there in Menjanan Marine park. LOVE IT. Any yet, more to go.

Feel free to visit my web page, look for "Bail" in the album.
Bali

Wished I can move there and stay put....

See you there in Bali. Mee Bakso (a local meat ball noodles) on me, when we dived together.

Snoopy... have you considered trying to dive tubataha reef?

Thanks for the info on Bali... i plan to schedule a trip around november or december... any more tips on where to stay, dive sites, etc. will be most welcome...

You haven't told us the time of year that you are travelling and your suggestions of Phuket, Thailand and Bali, Indonesia are great choices but their rainy seasons are reversed which may be a deciding factor in your decision. Assuming you will be travelling soon, Phuket is now entering their low season and soon the weather may turn, but Bali is now in their prime weather season with their rainy season starting in October.

Last week I just returned from a Bali/Sulawesi with a side trip to Bangkok/Phuket trip as I love these destinations you suggested. I would definitely recommend both but Bali might be better considering your wife is a non-diver.
IMHO, SARS is way overblown, and I find the question to be perpetrated by an over-active media frenzy.

Hence, Snoopy is correct, this is paradise.
I've also found the people of Bali to be predominantly Hindu, a much more gentler race than Muslims in the rest of Indonesia or Catholic Filipinos.
*Click Here* to see a helpful guide on Bali

I met a man on the plane that was returning to Bali because his wife enjoyed the 5 Star accomodations at Ubud and he enjoyed the low price.
My preferred lodging in Kuta costs 110,000 Rupiah ($12USD)/night - *Click Here* is far under that level, but is still very nice, clean, close to shopping and the Beach. I especially like the "Bird of Paradise" gardens and well kept lawn/grounds that separate my lodging from the pool area.

But I don't prefer to spend most of my vacation in urban Kuta, rather I go for the Best diving in Bali, the town of Lovina on the North side of the Bali where the dive operators will take you to Mejengan Island. This area is a protected Marine Park and was so striking on my first trip there in 1996 that I wanted to get back into underwater photography again.

The suggestion of Tulamben by divinesloth was a good choice, but shopping is limited.
I would also recommend the Ubud area as it is about 30 minutes outside of urban Kuta and Ubud has several nicer hotels with a big attraction being it is in the heart of the cultural villages. These villages "pool" all their resources to produce a single line of crafts. For example, you can take a tour to the Silver village to see every phase of silver production, from unearthing to smelting to tooling and final crafting of silver bracelets, jewelry, etc. This is really quite interesting and there are other villages do the same with batik, weaving, or other items.

Even though Ubud is a bit away from the beach, taxi's are cheap and should you wish to go SCUBA diving, the dive operators will come and pick you up.

There are no crowds in Bali and it is a wonderful place, I would go definitely go again and even the common diving areas of Nusa Dua having nice, dense reefs.

Stokes, my apologies.
I missed your last post stating you were travelling in Nov/Dec which is Bali's rainy season and be warned that it can rain hard.

This is also the start of Thailand's cool and dry season so I think Phuket is a better option. If you are taking your wife, I would recommend not to stay in Phuket's main tourist beach area of Patong, she will probably freak out at the bars with all their girls selling their (ahemmm) assets.

I would go a few Kms South to the Kata Beach area, still lots of shopping, close to the beach and there are several good dive shops. In 1995 I started diving with Siamdivers and have returned several times, have a look at their website:
*Click Here* to see the SiamDivers.com

Should you wish accomodations, email John and tell him that you are bringing your wife and give him an idea of how much you want to pay. He's been very helpful in the past.

All,

Your inputs are invaluable... thanks!

RS... thanks... i've visited Phuket 4 years when i was still single and a non-diver, but i did have fun.

I guess it boils down to my budget... I'm guessing plane fare from Manila to Phuket is higher than Manila to Bali... My budget of $1,500 USD has to cover plane fare and accomodations for me and my wife. Finances actually limits my options but I would prefer not to have to make extreme compromises on accomodations.

As of now, we are contemplating flying within the Philippines, maybe Palawan or Bohol, to keep costs of flying down and then splurge in a good resort... so my non-diver wife will enjoy (spa or whatever) and hopefully i can sneak a dive in.

Phuket is a good goal though... and Bali seems really interesting...

Any more inputs will be most welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom