Where to go from Singapore to kill a week in October? Bali, Lombok, Cebu or Monado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Tank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a week to kill in October and want to spend it diving (off course). I'm thinking about a cheap flight from Singapore to either Bali, Lombok, Cebu or maybe Monado. Thailand / Similands is not an option, as this is too early in the season and I've been there several times, same applies for Sipadan (Kapalai) where I spent a great week last month. PNG is too expensive (and my wife wants to go there together next year).

I'm not sure where the best diving is in October for the other options, where would you go and why? I'm most interested to see big fish (200 dives and never seen a manta!!!), but I do enjoy limited muck diving. I will be traveling alone, so a resort / LOB where I can easily find a buddy for the week would be preferred.

I hope you have some suggestions :confused:

If it's early October then the Malaysian east coast islands are an option - Tioman, Redang, Perhentian. I've been to Tioman and it was excellent. I've heard that Redang and Perhentian are really nice too. These are all very easy to reach from Singapore.

Kim:
If it's early October then the Malaysian east coast islands are an option - Tioman, Redang, Perhentian. I've been to Tioman and it was excellent. I've heard that Redang and Perhentian are really nice too. These are all very easy to reach from Singapore.

Thanks Kim, but I've been to the Perhentians and Tioman several times, and personally I think that Tioman does not have the best diving anymore, the last years its been pretty worn out Island and reef. Perhentians might be an option, I agree that it is nice and laid back, but I think I prefer Indonesia or the Philippines.

Silk Air has direct flight to Manado : Bunaken for wall diving and lembeh for muck diving. Oct. last year we saw orca in Manado bay (from the boat)
Or, Lot of choice to reach Bali - October still Mola-mola session at Nusa Penida. Somebody reported he had seen 30 big mantas at manta point recently; plus easy wreck diving at Tulamben.
Ussualy not a problem to travel alone - if "lucky" you'll get your own guide. Check to Indonesia forum for more detail.

With you Being lucky and so close :) its got to be Manado or Bali and with just being for a week i would go for Manado.

As for Mantas be brave and go to Sangalaki its worth all pain to get there and for sure you will be in Manta heaven :D

Happy Diving :D

want to see mantas? then the nearest place will be bali. (nusa penida). doing that dive a few times, you should see mantas. if your lucky also mola molas!

a fairly sure bet is yap but far away.

travelling alone, i would recommend a lob in the komodo, ambon or raja ampat area.

my preferences out of sin would be (no big fish) lembeh, malapascua and dauin/dumaguete (eldorado resort). an other very easy to reach spot would be puerto galera but do me a favor an stay at small lalaguna (elgalleon)

if you wanna see mantas, go to Nusa penida manta point. just got back from Bali & saw 5-6 of them. our guide said usually 80% guarantee.
if not, go to Maldives! it's 4 hrs flight from Sing.
Philippines is a good option, but don't expect mantas there....

Hi,

If you do not mind the second Similan in Thailand, try Hin Deang, season starts in October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom