First time heading to Indonesia - Where do you suggest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No to highjack since I have similar questions as the OP. According to the website by the Raja Ampat dive op Raja4divers, they are immune to the typical rainy season due to their location. They explain that diving is good there year round and most crowded Oct-May since all the liveaboards go near their region due to the conditions being so much better there compared to elsewhere in the area.

Do others here who have lots of Raja Ampat experience agree with their assessment? Looking to expand my horizons beyond Caribbean diving and need to know the best windows to go that coincide with my work schedule. Thx
Oct to April or so will have mantas, calmer seas, and slightly less chance or rain. There is chance or rain year round, but mostly intermittent showers. April until September conditions should be fine for diving in central Raja, following some of the locals on Instagram diving looks great year round and I'm planning my next trip for September.

I'm thinking of to heading to Thailand & Indonesia next month, and spending Sept./Oct. there. I was in Koh Tao last year, loved how low-key and friendly it was. Strongly considering going back there. The diving was slightly less exciting, but sounds like the other coast of Thailand is still in monsoon season till Nov.

I also want to go to Indonesia, but have not been there before so curious what to expect. Where are your favorite places? I'm looking for a mix of simple reef diving and living the island life. Spending time in cafes by the beach is an appealing option. Not looking for a party scene, and preferably want to avoid crowded touristy places. Looking to spend 2 weeks in Thailand & 2 weeks in Indonesia. Would love to hear any itineraries folks have done and would recommend!

I see there is a trend of recommending Tulamben/Amed/bali area. I am going to throw a wrench in the system and these would actually be the lowest on my recommendation list (for Indonesia)

If your going to go all the way to Indonesia then I would suggesting getting your full money an times worth and diving what Indonesia is most famous for. Skip Bali and go for the really good stuff!! Nothing wrong the diving in Bali/Nusa Penida, Gili's/Lombok but its no Raja or Komodo. Or for that mater even Manado, Wakitobi, Lembeh, Bunaken Alor, Banda, Togian, Derawan, Maratua, etc.

I use to live in Indonesia years in Jakarta, and also in Amed, and Gili T for 1.5years and still spend a significant amount of time there. Yeah the diving is nice in Bali but if someone was to ask me where to dive in Indonesia and they only have 2 weeks and they made the long journey all the way to Indonesia then I am always going to recommend Raja Ampat or Komodo. I don't know why you would putz around with the Bali area when you have some of the most marine biodiverse rich dive sites in the world available in Raja and Komodo. I know everyone is recommending Tulamben/Amed/Bali area because it is very convenient diving and yes compared to other places in the world they are amazing but Indonesia has soooooo much more to offer then Bali. If you going to Koh Tao you can get your touristy fix there and then come to Indonesia to get your "real" diving experience.

Sorong is so easy to get to now a days its almost a crime not to go diving in Raja if your traveling all the way to Indonesia. If you have the money jump on a liveaboard and if your on a backpacker budget find your self a nice homestay on cape Kri and just day dive with one of the local dive centers and live the ultimate island life. Just snorkeling off Kri Island is 10x better then any dive you will have Koh Tao. The reefs or soooooo healthy its mind blowing. I have done liveaboards both central and south/Misool and also stayed on Kri, Mansuar, and Waigeo but for a good balance Kri is my favorite. Don't get me wrong Misool is epic and the best recreational diving in the world in my opinion but I am not much of a trapped on a boat for 10 days kind of a person. I have never been a boat person I like my hammock between two coconut tree on a white sandy beach after a dive.

Same goes for Labuan Bajo, like Raja there is a plethora of choices for liveaboards or just walk down the main street and it is lined with dive centers that do day trips. Personal recommendations are Blue Marlin, Scuba Junkies, Uber Scuba.

To throw another wrench in the system if your a cave diver then Muna Island it the place to go (but Wakatobi has some nice caves as well). This is like a mini undeveloped version of Tulum. I spent about 6 weeks out there jungle exploring and laying new line. It is epic. Cave systems are short and not as decorated like Mexico but if your a cave diver looking for a one of a kind diving experience this would be my #1 recommendation.

And then last is deep diving. If that is your thing then #1 recommendation is Gili islands. Super nice island life, recreational diving is mehhhh but deep technical diving is some of the best in the world. This is actually one of my most favorite places to dive, hence why I lived there. The deep mesophotic coral reefs there are sooooooo healthy and beautiful!!! and the bathymetry is mind blowing. Perfectly vertical walls dropping down to 200+m with crystal clear visibility.

No to highjack since I have similar questions as the OP. According to the website by the Raja Ampat dive op Raja4divers, they are immune to the typical rainy season due to their location. They explain that diving is good there year round and most crowded Oct-May since all the liveaboards go near their region due to the conditions being so much better there compared to elsewhere in the area.

Do others here who have lots of Raja Ampat experience agree with their assessment?
I have recently posted a report on that area in July August (Cove is 20 minutes boatride from Raja4divers). While you can't say you wouldn't feel it's rainy season, it's still very good diving plus there are no liveaboards dumping 20 divers on the same site.
Those who pretend there are no mantas at that period are wrong, they are at different places they don't know of. Just don't stay around Kri/Mansuar etc.

If macro is your jam, as it is mine, Tulamben arguably tops the list
I see there is a trend of recommending Tulamben/Amed/bali area. I am going to throw a wrench in the system and these would actually be the lowest on my recommendation list (for Indonesia)...
If macro is your jam (as it is mine), Tulamben should arguably top the list of where to dive in Indonesia.

I have been to Raja Ampat about 9 times from November to May in the last 13 years. Raja4Divers is a good resort to experience central Raja Ampat. However, I haven’t been to Raja Ampat in June to October, so I can’t say one way or the other.

Here’s my trip report of Raja4Diver in May 2016:

Back
Top Bottom