Where to go from Bali - September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
We're in the early stages of planning a trip for September 2007. We'll be going from the US to Bali, where we'll spend about a week. We plan to do some diving from Bali (recommendations welcome - we're just starting the planning and I know very little about Bali diving particulars - we're going there for both the topside sights and also for some diving). From Bali, we're looking for another destination somewhere around Indonesia - maybe Sulawesi, maybe somewhere else. Suggestions?

I'd say we're intermediate divers (I'm more advanced intermediate, the Mrs. is more of an advanced beginniner/early intermediate). We're looking for: great, easy diving (OK, we're somewhat lazy). We like great viz (so I may not be all that keen on "muck diving" - need to learn more about this label, since I have always equated great diving with great viz). Big critters are interesting, but not necessarily the be-all, end-all for us (sharks? I've got noting to prove and am not necessarily ga-ga for sharks - I do *not* want any part of any operation that *feeds* sharks - I think that's an incredibly bad idea, but that's another thread). A healthy marine environment is a must. Dense schools of fish are a plus. Unique, colorful critters also a big plus. Pretty corals, nice. Garbage in the water? A real turnoff (why fly halfway around the work for that? - I can get that at home!). I'm aware that pristine stewardship of the environment is a luxury that not all of the developing world has enjoyed, but I'd rather not swim with a lot of trash or sewage. We like relatively short boat rides to dive sites (I have an iron stomach but the Mrs does get motion sickness, though she will tough it out for a good dive). For accommodations, we like some luxury but don't need 5 stars (or the prices that come with 5 stars).

We're looking for someplace for maybe 5-7 days, within a day's travel from Bali.

I know, we're not asking for much. :wink: Oh, yeah, great food and everything cheap would be nice, too (what the heck, I figure I can at least ask...).

So...any suggestions? Thanks!

There's direct flight (approx 2 hr) from Bali to Menado/Bunaken - good viz, pretty coral, easy wall diving. Hotel santika (****) is nice hotel - 15 - 40 min. to dive sites. Or smaller resort on the island. Tasik Ria is also nice rsort loacted within 1 hr from Bunaken; their boat is big and convenient.
Check with search engine here for more info of Manado
Others destination such as Wakatobi, Komodo, Raja Ampat are considerably more difficult.

You could fly to Manado and spend a few days in Bunaken or Lembeh or both. Alternatively you could fly to Labuan Bajo and jump on a cheap liveaboard to Komodo for 4 or 5 days so you can dive some awesome sites and see the dragons.

Either way there are lots of choices. The link in my signature may help.

Good luck

nwflyboy:
We're in the early stages of planning a trip for September 2007. We'll be going from the US to Bali, where we'll spend about a week. We plan to do some diving from Bali (recommendations welcome - we're just starting the planning and I know very little about Bali diving particulars - we're going there for both the topside sights and also for some diving). From Bali, we're looking for another destination somewhere around Indonesia - maybe Sulawesi, maybe somewhere else. Suggestions?

I'd say we're intermediate divers (I'm more advanced intermediate, the Mrs. is more of an advanced beginniner/early intermediate). We're looking for: great, easy diving (OK, we're somewhat lazy). We like great viz (so I may not be all that keen on "muck diving" - need to learn more about this label, since I have always equated great diving with great viz). Big critters are interesting, but not necessarily the be-all, end-all for us (sharks? I've got noting to prove and am not necessarily ga-ga for sharks - I do *not* want any part of any operation that *feeds* sharks - I think that's an incredibly bad idea, but that's another thread). A healthy marine environment is a must. Dense schools of fish are a plus. Unique, colorful critters also a big plus. Pretty corals, nice. Garbage in the water? A real turnoff (why fly halfway around the work for that? - I can get that at home!). I'm aware that pristine stewardship of the environment is a luxury that not all of the developing world has enjoyed, but I'd rather not swim with a lot of trash or sewage. We like relatively short boat rides to dive sites (I have an iron stomach but the Mrs does get motion sickness, though she will tough it out for a good dive). For accommodations, we like some luxury but don't need 5 stars (or the prices that come with 5 stars).

We're looking for someplace for maybe 5-7 days, within a day's travel from Bali.

I know, we're not asking for much. :wink: Oh, yeah, great food and everything cheap would be nice, too (what the heck, I figure I can at least ask...).

So...any suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.wakatobi.com/homepage.html If you can get in. We will also be doing Bali in Sep then going on to Wakatobi

Komodo is not necessarily easy diving. The north side of the park is clear and warm but currents can be strong. I found the sealife to be less prolific than PNG, Fiji or Sipadan. The diving in the north was still good, just not spectacular. The most unique part of Komodo is the south side of the park. The water is cold, viz is mediocre, and currents can be strong. However, the marine life is truly unique. The diving in the Horseshoe Bay lives up to its reputation. Lembeh is another unique destination that may or may not float your boat. Again, visibility is mostly mediocre--though there are some clear water reef dives. However, every dive brings you in contact with 2 or 3 or more once in a lifetime creatures. I went with my family for 6 days (5 dive days). I could have happily stayed longer. My wife was ready to leave at the end. I think my son was happy but didn't feel the need to stay longer.

nwflyboy:
We're in the early stages of planning a trip for September 2007. We'll be going from the US to Bali, where we'll spend about a week. We plan to do some diving from Bali (recommendations welcome - we're just starting the planning and I know very little about Bali diving particulars - we're going there for both the topside sights and also for some diving).

I think everyone else has given you some great suggestions. With respect to Bali, itself, consider Padang Bai, because you have a lot of dive spots within fairly easy reach. Also consider a trip up to the northwest corner and do some diving off of Menjangan. You really don't have too much time (a week) on Bali and if you want to do some topside sightseeing, then your overall dive days might be limited.

I think what I would do would be to head up to Ubud after you arrive in Bali and spend some time there getting over your jet lag and soaking up the scenery, culture and good food. Then, make your way up to Menjangan (consider a dive package with Mimpi resorts and they will pick you up and bring you back- included in the rates). Stay up there a few days and then head back down to Padang Bai for another couple of days of diving. This way, you will only be about an hour and a half (more or less, depending upon traffic) to the airport when you want to fly out for another dive destination.

Keep in mind that it does take time to drive around Bali- distances are further than they appear on the map.

if you are in bali in september you should definitely take a boat trip to lembongan where you can see mola molas in that season - only 2-3 months a year. lucky you.

Bali is the hub for other best diving spots in Indonesia. From Bali you can go to:
- Bunaken
- Lembeh
- Komodo
- Alor
- Raja Ampat
- Musool
- Papua (NOT Papua Nugini)
- etc.
- Not forget to mention Lombok Island (about 30 minutes boat ride)

So, it's all depend what type of diving and your budget.

Have fun!!
S-

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (and those in other threads, many of which I've read and found useful).

Now that I've got a bit more info, I've got some more questions.

We'll have two weeks (14 days), not including the days we arrive or depart. So now I'm thinking maybe 8 days on Bali followed by 6 days in North Sulawesi (probably split between Bunaken and Lembeh).

We'll be there in late August and early September. It appears that this is ideal time to see Mola Molas (yes?), so I'd love to include that, too. From my preliminary research, it looks like the best place to see the molas is Nusa Penida/Lembongan - correct? Does it make sense to stay there (or Nusa Lembongan - or is that even a reasonable option?)? Or do dive trips to the mola mola sites leave from Sanur or Padangbai or the surrounding area on Bali? How long would the boat ride be out from Bali?

As for diving on Bali proper, I'm now leaning towards spending several days up at Menjangan (the Mimpi resort sounds very nice - like a great place to dive AND to relax). I had previously been thinking that we should make Tulamben the #1/must see/focus of our diving but am now reconsidering that. I wonder if the wreck could be dived as a stop-off on the way back from Menjangan?

So here's a rough idea of what I'm currently thinking of...all of this is subject to change/reality adjustments/etc...

Day 0: Arrive in Denpasar after a very long flight from the US. Arrive early evening (1900). Head for Ubud or someplace less hectic than Denpasar or Kuta.
Day 1: Relax in the morning, drive to Menjangen in the afternoon.
Day 2-4: Menjangen, Mimpi Resort, diving.
Day 5: To Padangbai (?), some topside sightseeing along the way.
Day 6: Day dive trip to Nusa Lembongan/Penida for Mola Mola (is this a reasonable way to see them?)
Day 7: Topside sightseeing, offgassing before flying.
Day 8: Fly to Manado, transfer to Bunaken (overnight Bunaken day 8 & 9).
Day 9-10: Dive Bunaken, transfer to Lembeh afternoon of day 10 (overnight Lembeh day 10-13).
Day 11-12: Dive Lembeh.
Day 13: Relax topside in Lembeh, offgas before flying.
Day 14: Fly back Manado -> Denpasar. Shop, relax, etc.
Day 15 - Depart afternoon (fly out of Denpasar heading to Bangkok for the OTHER half of our trip...)

OK, this obviously looks (to me) like it's a pretty busy schedule...I'm OK with busy (especially if it includes time spent on a beach or in a spa when we're not diving). I'd be curious to hear from others more familiar with the area if this schedule looks like it's simply busy, or if it looks more like it's impossible, crazy or hellish.

Thanks again.

Amended to keep you more busy, maximize diving time and still have time for topside.
Day 1: Relax in the morning, drive to Menjangen in the afternoon.
Day 2-3: Menjangan, Mimpi Resort, diving – 3 dives @ day 1, 2 dives @day 2, check-out 16:00, travel to Tulamben – ETA. 18:30 stay at any Tulamben resorts – Mimpi Tulamben is also nice resort.; Night dive is possible.
Day 4 : Tulamben 3 dives – the Wreck, Coral garden and Drop Off; check-out 15:00, travel to Candi Dasa, you can stop at Tirtagangga Water Palace for sightseeing. ETA Candi dasa 18:00 – stay at any Resort here.
Day 5: Dive Tepekong, Gili Mimpang and Biaha
Day 6: Day dive trip to Nusa Lembongan/Penida for Mola Mola – hope lucky with you
Day 7: Topside sightseeing, offgassing before flying.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom