Where to go from Bali - September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks good. So what's the attraction of Candi Dasa?

How special is he diving at Tepekong, Gili Mimpang and Biaha?

I ask because if we're going to squeeze an extra day out for that, I wonder if that day might be better spent on a second attempt at diving with the mola mola on Nusa Lembongan/Penida? I think we are going to be there at just about the best time to see mola mola (late august) but as with any wild animal encounter, there are no guarantees. Maybe we should try to mola mola dive on day 5 - if we see them, then we could go someplace else on day 6 (Tepekong, Gili Mimpang, Biaha?). BUt if we don't see any, maybe try again on day 6. Would that make sense?

Thanks again for al the help!

It can be subjective - other people may have different view; but personally Candidasa is not my favorite place - in fact never stay there for more than 10 time trips to Bali.
No special attraction in Candidasa, the accomodation is so so although good value, and the beach is not special. Divers stay at Candidasa/Padang bai due to the easy access to dive surounding area and to cross to Nusa Penida/Lembongan - the reason i still keep in the schedule. You'll have high chance to see big fish and pelagic at Tepekong, Gili Mimpang and Biaha. Unfortunately - not really my personal diving preference - I still not very comfortable diving in relatively strong current and being surrounded by more than 1.5 m fishes.

Just starting to research the same area for '08.....have come up Sipadan...their site is swvresort.com.....looks very good....please let me know what/where you decide on your trip....

nwflyboy:
Day 0: Arrive in Denpasar after a very long flight from the US. Arrive early evening (1900). Head for Ubud or someplace less hectic than Denpasar or Kuta.
Day 1: Relax in the morning, drive to Menjangen in the afternoon.
Day 2-4: Menjangen, Mimpi Resort, diving.
Day 5: To Padangbai (?), some topside sightseeing along the way.
Day 6: Day dive trip to Nusa Lembongan/Penida for Mola Mola (is this a reasonable way to see them?)
Day 7: Topside sightseeing, offgassing before flying.
Day 8: Fly to Manado, transfer to Bunaken (overnight Bunaken day 8 & 9).
Day 9-10: Dive Bunaken, transfer to Lembeh afternoon of day 10 (overnight Lembeh day 10-13).
Day 11-12: Dive Lembeh.
Day 13: Relax topside in Lembeh, offgas before flying.
Day 14: Fly back Manado -> Denpasar. Shop, relax, etc.
Day 15 - Depart afternoon (fly out of Denpasar heading to Bangkok for the OTHER half of our trip...).

Hi Flyboy!

My husband and I go to Bali every June for a month of work and play, and have been to N Sulawesi twice. Personally I would find the above itinerary to be a potential source of frustration....

partially because you may not be taking account for the effects of heinous JET LAG on your system (remember you will be moving "ahead" in time 12-15 hrs and it takes the poor ol bod awhile to adjust to this)

and partially due to the the fact that things in general happen slower in Bali. Traffic can be hideous and move really slowly. I don't think we have ever driven over 35 mph while in Bali, and the jams around Denpasar and other large towns can be shocking, cars and trucks backed up and mopeds darting in and out all around you. And, maybe by the time you arrive at a place to go diving the waves are too high or the DO owner can't find his DM and has to send someone out looking for him.

Trying to stick to a tight schedule in Indonesia can be very frustrating! People there live very much on Island Time.

Also, have you worked out transportation for Bali? Are you going to rent your own vehicle? Do you have an international drivers license? Are you comfortable driving on the left side of the road and staying aware of the ever present hordes of darting mopeds? Will you get your own driver instead, and arrange for him to pick you up in Padang Bai or what ever town you've been diving in?

If you would like to know where we have stayed, done transport with and dived with in the past, feel free to drop me a PM!:D

Thanks!
Pamela

Also, the beaches in Bali can be quite nice, but relaxing on them can be difficult due to the phenomenon of VERY persistant vendors who will absolutely NOT take no for an answer! They have an answer to everything you say to them, and some may even cuss you out in Bahasa Bali.

I would second Wisnu's comments - Candidasa can have bigger fish, but not a 'great' locaiton. Definately spend time at Tulamben for the three dives as listed above- staying over is a great idea as then you can dive early before the hoards from Kuta make it up. We did lots of dives in Tulamben and the ones when the big groups come in become more people- watching excercises. But if you dive at 7-9 am you usually miss them and also later affternoon (and night) dives are also good. Most of the groups don;t tend to do the other sites along the bay- the wall (can;t remember the name) was where I saw my first ever lionfish couple.

enjoy

Pamela, I'm in the middle of planning my own 3-week trip to Bali in September, and I'd love to pick your brain! I could send you a PM...but then, nobody else will benefit from your wisdom. :)

I'm going to start a new thread so as not to hijack this one...it would great if you could answer a few of my questions there. (And, of course, all you other Bali experts!)

I'm tweaking my plans a bit - going to slow down a little, spend a couple more days on Bali, and a day or two less on Sulawesi - rather than trying to do two places on Sulawesi (both Lembeh and Bunaken), we'll pick one and save a bit of the running back and forth.

So the next dilemma is.... Bunaken or Lembeh? :D

Nope, not a true muck fan. I don't think I really "get" muck diving...sure, I like the idea of seeing bizarre little critters, but I really like clear water with great viz and elaborate reef systems.

Any recommendations for Bunaken?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom