Where to get married underwater in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did an underwater wedding in California once upon a time, we did it all with hand signals, but I did have to become a Universal Life minister so I could sign the documents.

If you have trouble finding a way, I'll reup with Universal Life and do it for you here on the Big Island.

BTW: for weddings you don't have to be neutral, you can kneel or fin pivot if that suits.:D

It might streamline any divorce proceedings down the road if you do it deep enough to claim narcosis. :wink:

I'm a Rev as well with the State of Hawaii.... If Oahu turns out to be your island of choice, let me know. We can do photos if given enough time and just married banners underwater are always cool too..... can even paint a white square on the neckline of my wetsuit if you need.

Mahalo,

G

My wife and I got married underwater in 1987. If you are really serious about this you have a lot of things to get done. First before you find the location, you need to find a pastor willing to perform the service. Not always an easy task. Communication: I was in the Navy so I had the advantage of access to underwater communication equipment you probably won't have, hand signals and head shakes don't hold up in court. Are you having guests? We had underwater video via unmanned submersibles. Location: In the ocean you have visibility and surge concerns close to shore and maintaining depth out in the blue. Let me suggest, get a hold of the Kona Aggressor II, tell them your plan and go from there. If they get on board, who knows they might have done this before, they can help with all the arrangements. Good luck.

I've performed an underwater wedding, in the Underwater Astronaut Trainer at Space Camp, in Huntsville, AL. The bride and groom used big cue cards to share their vows.

At least in Alabama, it's not the ceremony that makes the marriage legal, it's the signatures on the marriage license.

Let me know if you have questions or if you need a pastor with good buoyancy control.

Max
DSAT 198186

Thanks for the info guys! I have a few people/companies in mind and as soon as we break the elopement plans to the family we'll start the planning process :)

I like the idea of an ROV filming the wedding for people on the surface but since we may only have one person there, and he happens to be a diver, it's not that important to me. We definitely want video and pictures of the ceremony though!

In California we used a glass bottom boat for the non-diving guests.

I'm pretty sure that Eve Hogan does them on Maui. Her and her husband Steve run Makena Coast Dive Charters.

Whilel diving with Extended Horizons last week, one of the DMs said that there have been weddings off Lanaii at a dive site called Cathedrals (don't remember if it was first or second.) Maybe call them and ask.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom