Where to get breakaway buckles (for weight drop)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georgelawrence

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post for me (go easy).

I've got an older Dacor Nautica BC. Lately the velcro on the weight drops is becoming weak, I've had a few accidental weight drops as a result (yikes). Anyway, I'm thinking of adding one of those "breakaway" buckles that automatically pull apart with about 5 or 10 lbs of force. Only trouble is where do you buy one of these?

All the other snaps and buckles on the BC are made by National Molding (http://www.nationalmolding.com/) but I'm having trouble registering to see their online catalog.

Any advice?

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

-- George

Not a direct reply to your question, but...

Have you considered replacing the velcro? It might be an easily located local resource.

KYDan

Not to disrespect your ideas. Brainstorming for different solutions on different equipment setups is what this forum is about. But I'd be cautious using any buckle that releases at a "designed" force. Breakaway items are not all that dependable in some cases (snagging on a wreck/bottom/anchor line, etc.). Losing your weight belt in some circumstances can be a real problem.

I'd replace the aged velcro or go with a time tested standard weight belt with a quick release cam buckle. If the velcro is aged that much, it may be "excuse time" to buy another BC. I retired my old Dacor chameleon when it got a little ragged.

The velcro may be an indicator of other parts that may be ready to fail (bladder, etc.).

WD

georgelawrence,

By the way, your area has one of coolest coast lines. I visited some friends over there a few years ago and we spent some time on the beach out by Pepperdine. The break down by the shops is sweet, too.

WD

I removed velcro from the inside pockets of my Sherwood back inflate bc, so I could get the pouches in and out readily. I purchased a pair of 2" buckles and a few feet of web. The webbing was fed through the buckles and then sewn to the edge of the bc ( away from the bladder).. The slack from the edge of the bc to the buckle is secured with tie-wraps threaded through the outside of the bc weight pocket. (A sharp awl can open a hole between the fibers without cutting any). Carefully filing the barbs nearly flat on the male end of the buckles leaves the pouches tight enough it requires a mild jerk (no pun intended) to remove them; while squeezing the buckles from the side makes the removal much easier. Please Note! I left the velcro on the outside of the bc weight pouch intact. Pulling the release separates the velcro first, then pulls on the buckle.

Now, If you would send me a digital camera I would gladly get some pictures sent your way. (feel free to pack it in a uw housing for protection)

willydiver:
Not to disrespect your ideas. Brainstorming for different solutions on different equipment setups is what this forum is about. But I'd be cautious using any buckle that releases at a "designed" force. Breakaway items are not all that dependable in some cases (snagging on a wreck/bottom/anchor line, etc.). Losing your weight belt in some circumstances can be a real problem.

I'd replace the aged velcro or go with a time tested standard weight belt with a quick release cam buckle. If the velcro is aged that much, it may be "excuse time" to buy another BC. I retired my old Dacor chameleon when it got a little ragged.

The velcro may be an indicator of other parts that may be ready to fail (bladder, etc.).

WD
george...willydiver has a good point. I had a dive instructor check my bc before I did the diy.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Wow, SB is great! I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

>or go with a time tested standard weight belt with a quick release cam buckle

WD, that's a great idea. I could mount a cam buckle to the BC, and webbing to the drop pouch. When I install the pouch, I'd feed the webbing through the buckle and clamp it shut. That would hold the pouch tightly. Then I could rig up some "handles" that attach first to the cam buckle and then to the weights. When I pull the handles, the cam buckle gets flipped open and as I continue to pull, the drop pouch gets pulled out of it's pocket. I think I might mock something up, take a pic and have you guys see what I'm thinking inside my head.

BTW, I drive along PCH past Pepperdine every day on my way into work. I live in Malibu and work in El Segundo. Actually I drive past about 10 nice little dive spots. When the water's clear and the sun is out I keep thinking "what's the point of going to work?". Then I remember how much scuba stuff costs ;-)

> Pulling the release separates the velcro first, then pulls on the buckle.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking about doing. But I was all hung up on trying to find a "breakway" buckle already made. It never dawned on me (duhh!) that I could just take a regular buckle and file down the male piece until I got the desired effect. Very neat little trick.

Thanks for the great ideas. Aside from the weak velcro, the BC is in great shape, so I'd really like to save it. And yes, I'll have my buddy the dive instructor check it out before I go risk my life with it.

Thanks again, -- George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom