Where to get a Nikonos V serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Nikonos V in excellent condition, but it needs to be serviced (lube and all new O rings). I live in Youngstown, Ohio and used to take my medium format and Nikon 35mm cameras to "Pro Camera Repair" in Cleveland for service. However the "old school" camera tech passed away, and they no longer service the Nikonos bodies.

I am not willing to risk the DSLR bodies I use for weddings and commercial jobs underwater, or shell out one to two thousand dollars for a DSLR housing. Besides film still gets the job done, and since I have a film scanner I can still pull eveything into Photoshop. Besides, the Nikonos was an anniversary present from my wife some years ago, and she reminds me of that little fact everytime I mention selling it for a digital underwater camera (ex; Sealife DC600).

So, anyone know of a good camera tech (nearby if possible) who works on the "old school" Nikonos cameras? What kind of price range are we talking? The last time I had an F4 serviced the labor rate cost more than a Nikonos V sells for on eBay.

Thanks

Speaking of Nikonos V we have one that is so screwed up you cannot get the back open but it has a newer strobe thanks to a warranty replacement approx 3 years ago. Hubby would probably sell it to you for a pretty decent price but you have to take the whole thing not just the "good parts". I can ask when he gets back Saturday, he's mentioned selling it before.

He used to send it to Columbus to get it serviced but I'm not sure where.
Ber :lilbunny:

I have a Nikonos V in excellent condition, but it needs to be serviced (lube and all new O rings). I live in Youngstown, Ohio and used to take my medium format and Nikon 35mm cameras to "Pro Camera Repair" in Cleveland for service. However the "old school" camera tech passed away, and they no longer service the Nikonos bodies.

I am not willing to risk the DSLR bodies I use for weddings and commercial jobs underwater, or shell out one to two thousand dollars for a DSLR housing. Besides film still gets the job done, and since I have a film scanner I can still pull eveything into Photoshop. Besides, the Nikonos was an anniversary present from my wife some years ago, and she reminds me of that little fact everytime I mention selling it for a digital underwater camera (ex; Sealife DC600).

So, anyone know of a good camera tech (nearby if possible) who works on the "old school" Nikonos cameras? What kind of price range are we talking? The last time I had an F4 serviced the labor rate cost more than a Nikonos V sells for on eBay.

Thanks

I wouldn't send my Nikonos to anyone but the Mikes (Haber and Megleski) at
http://www.underwatercamerarepair.com/. You may remember Mike Megleski from the Church Nikonos manuals. Not only are they super experts, they are quite reasonable and fun to chat with. I think I'll send mine in for a check up, now that you mention it.

Bob at Southern Nikonos, reasonable and excellent service. Nik V/lenses/strobe go to him on a regular basis.

Thanks

For the money you would be spending on servicing the Nikonos, why not put towards getting a point and shoot camera like the Canon A640 or Nikon P5000 with a Canon or Nikon housing? You can still keep the Nikonos to keep the wife happy, plus you would be saving a bunch on film.

Back
Top Bottom