Where to do my first dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jefflegal

New
Reaction score
Hello,

Not only is this my first chat message, I have just completed the Open Water Dive certification. I would like some suggestions on where to dive in the Caribbean. I have travelled extensively but am now looking for good dive sites that would be suitable for a beginner.

Thanks

Jefflegal:
Hello,

Not only is this my first chat message, I have just completed the Open Water Dive certification. I would like some suggestions on where to dive in the Caribbean. I have travelled extensively but am now looking for good dive sites that would be suitable for a beginner.

Thanks
BONAIRE

May I suggest somewhere near the water and preferably in it.

Stay away from open holes in the ground. You have a 50/50 chance of it being a cave or a septic tank. One is OK but the other one stinks.

If you see a guy with “Bomb Squad” on the back of his shirt running it’s a good idea to follow him.

Welcome to the world of Narced out individuals.

Gary D.

Jefflegal:
Hello,

Thanks
Welcome!
Some of the Bahamas and FL Keys come to mind immediately - Get a few dives under your belt before you do Cozumel or the Flower Gardens. Be sure to let your Divemaster know you are new - they appreciate it [and they'll know anyway, 5 minutes in!]

Enjoy your Dives & Dive Safe!

Gary D.:
May I suggest somewhere near the water and preferably in it.

Stay away from open holes in the ground. You have a 50/50 chance of it being a cave or a septic tank. One is OK but the other one stinks.

If you see a guy with “Bomb Squad” on the back of his shirt running it’s a good idea to follow him.

Welcome to the world of Narced out individuals.

Gary D.

Of course, it's not bad advice, just irrelevant and irreverant! Hi Guy!

Jefflegal:
Hello,

Thanks

First off welcome to a board with a great group of divers on board.

As a new diver, you'd be best off IMO doing shallower reef diving. Many places inthe caribbean offer such dives, so to ask which is the best is rather pointless. I'd say the area with the best sea's and least Hurricans. Sorry this is not more specific, however dude, purchase some magazines. They are loaded with trip reports to die for, so throw a dart, book the trip, and enjoy.

BTW, you already have DONE your first dive.

"The overall experience confirmed my feeling that Caribbean diving is just not that good. I've been to 3 Caribbean locations in the last 18 months and I would only return to any of them if an opportunity came up that was dirt cheap, like free for example."

This is a quote from a friend that just got back from eleven days of diving in Cozumel, try the South Pacific for some real diving or South East Asia (for warm water diving). Or if you are into doing some real diving try the Pacific North West ( British Columbia, Canada) Port Hardy and area to be exact, or the Queen Charlete Islands (for cold water diving).

get a few dives down and when you are more comfortable with your gear and buoyancy then you can spend on that wonderful carribean vacation

Jefflegal:
Hello,

Thanks

I was thnking along the lines of what spoon said.....

If you poke around in the threads you will find some descriptions of divers first post certification dives, including those of yours truly. It's pretty uiniversal that those first dives are huge learning experiences and for my money not something I would want to be spending resort time on. If you can do them with your local group or another seasoned local diver that's a great way to start building routines. Going out and under on your own (with a buddy) wil be a milestone.

Another thought especially considering where you call home is that you want to be careful not to spoil yourself to the point of rejecting local diving. This would depend on just what you want to get out of diving but a frequent diver can't help but tbe a safer diver. If you can dive at home in Canada then you can dive anywhere. I have heard of divers that just don't want to face the home waters after diving in the warmer climates. There is beauty and fun to be had under all of the waters.

I can't offer you any destination advice but if you decide to travel as a freshly certified diver be sure to get booked into appropriate dives and keep the dive masters informed of your experience level.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom