Where to dive panhandle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will drive across Florida panhandle in a couple of weeks. I can dive one day. Where should I target?

I think you are most likely going to get your best answers on the Deep Dixie Divers portion of this board.

Lots of Gulf Coast divers there.

Deep Dixie Divers - ScubaBoard

Chug
Likes Mobile Alabama.

I will drive across Florida panhandle in a couple of weeks. I can dive one day. Where should I target?

Your best bet would probably be some of the dive sites off Panama City Beach. The oil has reached Pensacola and I'm not sure there are even dive charters going out of there. There are only 2 boats going out of PCB right now but sites are still in decent condition. If that doesn't work out, then spend a day diving Vortex Spring. It's a small basin, but it will be good for a couple of dives and never blows out.

I think the head of the EPA just said she would not go in the water there right now. At least that is what I read in my newspaper today. Can't imagine planning a future trip there while the oil is washing up and literally tons of toxic dispersant are being dumped each day.

I think the head of the EPA just said she would not go in the water there right now. At least that is what I read in my newspaper today. Can't imagine planning a future trip there while the oil is washing up and literally tons of toxic dispersant are being dumped each day.

While this may be true in Louisiana, Mississippi, and maybe even Alabama, it has not gotten that bad in Florida. I was in Mexico Beach, 30 miles from Panama City Beach, last week and didn't see any evidence of oil.

While this may be true in Louisiana, Mississippi, and maybe even Alabama, it has not gotten that bad in Florida. I was in Mexico Beach, 30 miles from Panama City Beach, last week and didn't see any evidence of oil.

She specifically referenced Florida, maybe it was Pensacola?

There were tarballs at St. Andrews one day about 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard any more reports on them and all beaches in PCB are still open. All the reports I've heard are no oil near PCB. On the other hand, apparently you can't spend any length of time in Pensacola (inland, not just on the beach) without smelling the oil and starting to feel sick.

You owe it to yourself to dive the USS Oriskany out of Pensacola. THE largest artificial reef in the world,

I'd recommend MBT Divers and their charter--H20 Below. They run a solid operation, and according to their website, they are still running charters out there, despite occasional patches of oil. MBT Dive & Surf Pensacola, Florida (850) 455-7702

She specifically referenced Florida, maybe it was Pensacola?
I would love to see the link on that. We're fighting tooth and nail to get correct info out and high profile people make blanket statements that sweep it all away.:idk:

Dr Dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom