Starlink Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm thinking of going the Starlink route here in North Central Florida. I have one friend in the panhandle near Marianna who uses it & loves it.

I need to have internet on two properties about 50 yards apart and I guess this is possible if burying some Cat 6 cable.

Right now we pay Windstream $120.00 for each property and on a good day get about 100 Mbps down, but an overall average about 70.

Anyone using Starlink care to chime in with their experience with it?

starlink.png

If you use direct burial CAT 6 and use good surge suppressors on both ends with correct grounding that should be adequate. Don't forget all the lightning strikes, they just need to be close to wipe out your wifi.

Anyone using Starlink care to chime in with their experience with it?
For me, I'm not looking for max upload or max download, but rather internet that is responsive and reliable.

I have Starlink in a "middle of nowhere" area of Texas, that is apparently in a less-than-ideal coverage area. $120/month. Speed varies, but as of a moment ago, I'm getting 36.8 Mbps upload, 11.5 download, 32ms ping. So far, it's been more reliable than the Spectrum wired internet I had at a previous location. There are even a few trees somewhat in the way of a clear view of the sky. I've had no reliability problems yet, and it's been about 1-month.

I'm splitting Starlink with a neighbor, and don't have the exact details. We're using a Cat6 connection between his place and mine, about 50ft away. I think you can go up to 100-yards with Cat6.

What exactly does that thing do for $499.00?

It wirelessly bridges buildings, so you don't have to run ethernet. Just point the dishes together adjusting until the app says you have the maximum connection quality.

I've used it in places where you can't run ethernet easily like two warehouses with a paved parking lot between them.

If you use direct burial CAT 6 and use good surge suppressors on both ends with correct grounding that should be adequate. Don't forget all the lightning strikes, they just need to be close to wipe out your wifi.
We went with fiberoptic between shop and house. I had a company make a line and ran in conduit. Our run is about 300'. I read cat 6 is fine up to 300' but figured why not I don't have to worry about surges or strikes.

We have Starlink.. to soon to tell. I don't need anything crazy, but when I did a test I got like 160 down but only 20 up? I just hooked it up last week, need to play with it some more. I just need it to work more consistently than the original isp. They drop out almost daily. It's also just for an office with 4 terminals in it, no streaming or crazy internet needed.

I'm waiting for a really bad storm to see what it does (in the literature it says it can reduce the signal). It's also mounted on top of a 36' wall, not sure if that helps but it sure can't hurt.

It wirelessly bridges buildings, so you don't have to run ethernet. Just point the dishes together
So you need two of them...???

Try some direct burial Cat8 cable. Each pair is shielded individually, and the whole arrangement is also shielded.
I've had excellent results from chinesium cat8 cables, although I've never tried this particular brand. I've also only used it at 10Gbps as I don't have any 40Gbps transcievers.

So you need two of them...???
They come in a pair. I used to install these down in florida. Good stuff but you could get away with the nanostation? or loco. cant remember the name of the model but is a lot cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom