Where to dive out of on a liveaboard, Phuket or Khao Lak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fun question!

As the only one based in Khao Lak, I guess I got to put in my two cents :)

There are many options for both locations. Khao Lak caters to a more sedate clientele and is known for its general lack of nightlife. How's that for marketing :wink: However, there is a group of people that prefer that. And being surrounded by a national park on one side and beaches on the other it is a very different kind of development than Phuket. These days most liveaboards depart from here. Only a few depart from Phuket. And yes, many liveaboards include transfers from hotels in the Phuket area...this is an additional 2 hours of travel time in each direction. Again, this is good if you like Phuket, not such a plus if you don't. There are no malls in Khao Lak and only last year we got our first fast food place (that's a complaint, not to impress).

Please take this with a grain of salt - we offer a liveaboard and OW combination. This combo can be pretty bad if not done correctly. But we do the training, water work and dives 1 & 2 from land, then go out the trip. This makes sure the student likes the course and can continue on. The first dive on any liveaboard should be something akin to a "check dive" no matter which company - so nothing really affects the dive profile. Then dive 4 is easy to implement into the days plan. As the same instructor will be there throughout the course and the remaining dives it gives a great chance for the student to gain confidence and skills. If they want to add-on the AOW while onthe trip...not a problem!

There are options out there, but as Quero said...it depends on several factors.

I've been doing Andaman Sea liveaboards since the mid-90s, back when they'd pick you up from Patong Beach in a long tail boat. There is one option I've yet to try:

- Fly in on departure day and get picked up at the airport.
- On arrival day, stay at an airport-area hotel and leave the next day after the no-fly period has expired.

Next time....

Approaching your post from a little different perspective, I spent two nights in Patong before a liveaboard and one night after, and enjoyed myself. I ate some really good seafood, found decent cold beer and could have participated in more activities. I did have a night with a hotel neighbor who did participate in the other activities and I did not sleep very well.

I also spent six nights in Khao Lak and did some speed boat diving. Khao Lak has a substantial northern European influence and I got to appreciate it. I found some great food, wine, coffee, Thai massages and cold beer. My schedule was dive one day; relax on the beach the next, dive one day…. I didn’t stay at a five star resort but my hotel had an excellent location for access to the beach, access to beach front resort restaurants and for walking into town. Also, my hotel said that guests could not go past the lobby; so, I did not have any neighbor problems.

Speed boat diving has its pros and cons, but I wouldn’t hesitate to spend time in Khao Lak before or after a liveaboard.

Just to take a different look at the 'problem'.

I have just returned from a 7 day trip out of Koh Lanta vising the sites around Lanta, Phi Phi and the Similans. I found the reefs and life more plentiful in the south. The company (Flying Seahorse) do 2 day and 4 day trips just taking in the south.

So....

What you could actually do is go to Lanta - your partner can take their OW course locally and then you could hop on a 2 day or 4 day trip.

You can save some holiday time by doing the theory online (USD130 with PADI or free with SSI) or he could do his theory even do his pool work at home too with a local dive centre - leaving just the dives to complete....

Koh Lanta is a laid back island and sounds like what you are looking for.

Hi Alchenry

I dived with Seadragon on the MV Andaman (Liveaboard Vessels: M/V Andaman) and thoroughly enjoyed it, the boat is a comfortable and practical layout, and very good value although not luxury, and the food was pretty awesome. The crew and dive team were absolutely great, and the boat becomes very friendly and family like very quickly.

The twin rooms don't seem ideal, being quite cramped and at the end of dorm cabins, but then you're only there to sleep and no-one seemed to mind. The dorms were fine and its hard not to sleep well after 4 dives.

I would definitely recommend Seadragon for their service and knowledge. I can't really comment on the kit, as I'm not too knowledgeable about that.

Also, a mate of mine stayed at memories bar down the road from the dive shop in Khao Lak which looked awesome, the beach was lovely, the bar lively (and nicer than the main ones in KL IMO), if I were to go back I would definitely stay there Memories Beach Bar Khao Lak – Simple, Unique & Unforgettable! NB: You would need to rent a scooter if you stayed here as its about 20mins from the main stretch, but well worth it for the pleasant surroundings IMO.

Otherwise I stayed in Phu Khao Lak Resort, where the cheapest rooms were a bit dark, but the setting is lovely, and Seafood Family house, which had nice rooms but a more cramped setting depending on your bungalow. seadragon have a comprehensive list of accom in the area: Accommodation in Khao Lak

Overall, although the Khao Lak area where Seadragon is isn't great (bit commercial, quite pricey food and beach leaves quite a lot to be desired compared to other part of Thailand) I would go there over Phuket!

Have fun whatever you decide!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom