Where to dive near San Marcos Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EuphoriaII

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. I'll be traveling to San Marcos this June for a float trip/Shclitterbahn excursion for my son's (13)soccer team. I'm thinking about bringing my older son (16)and doing some diving while there. So whats the one or two places you would dive in the area? I did a search but really found too much to sort out. Aquarena Springs? Comal River? I believe we're staying at some cabins called 'the other place' near the Comal so I would like to stay fairly close by.
Thanks in advance for recommendations

Hi, EuphoriaII.

I'd recommend the scientific diver class at Aquarena Springs, if you have the time. Interesting classroom instruction, combined with the AMAZING visibility and diversity of wildlife in the lake. Also, the diving is challenging (in a good way) because it's so shallow. It really helps you build your body control, finning, and breathing skills.

Since time will probably be at a premium, I hear the Comal provides some passable drift diving. The dives can be quite short, as well.

Aquarena/Spring Lake and the San Marcos river are in San Marcos, Schlitterbahn and the Comal are in New Braunfels, the two towns are about a half hour apart.

IMO, the best place to dive in Texas is Aquarena but it is not open to public diving. You must complete a $220 Scientific Diver program, request diving in advance, and perform volunteer tasks while diving. The San Marcos river is, in my opinion, too low to dive for now.

The Comal is an easy dive, depths from 5' to 12' with occasional chutes. You can go through them or walk around. It is a drift dive so you'll need to exit at the last public exit and take a shuttle back to origin, or station your vehicles strategically.

You might also consider an hour drive up to Lake Travis, there are a number of sites there that are as deep as you might desire.

Canyon Lake is in close proximity. Decent lake diving, good shore facilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom