Where to dive in North Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firemanjoe

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a new diver and want to go dive somewhere within an hour or 2 from Dallas/Fort Worthless. Did open water at Clear Springs and it was OK but want something else.

opinions?

Thanks

Take a look at Texas Dive Sites - there's a map of sites in TX there that may help.

Well, there's Lake Murray and Lake Elmer Thomas (both in OK), Lake Possum Kingdom (try to get as close to the dam as possble), Athens (but that's not really North Texas, I guess), and...um...help me out here, people, is that it? (he already knows about CSSP, after all).

. . . and want to go dive somewhere within an hour or 2 from Dallas/Fort Worthless.

:rofl3: Ha! LOL! . . . . . Sorry. Hmm. Didn't mean to laugh at you.
Within 2 hours of D/FW--Hmm. Let's see. You got CSSP, Athens Scuba Park, Possum Kingdom (good luck here) and Lake Murray OK. Take your pick.

. . . at Clear Springs and it was OK but want something else.

Something else? Like good visibility? Good luck.

Lake Texoma. The vis is gonna suck until the rain quits though.

PK and Athens are both pushing that two hour limit. If you are two hours from one you aren't two hours from the other (unless you have a lead foot).

Joe,

We're going to be up at Lake Murray this weekend camping and diving, you are welcome to join us. I think we're heading up Saturday morning and we will be staying at marietta landing. I would be happy to show you the dive spots. I think from Dallas it's about an hour and a half drive.

Other than Lake Murray, Texoma is okay if you enjoy viz ranging from 2 to 10 feet max, night dives below 20 feet, and the thousand steps of hell. (okay, it's not a thousand steps, but it's alot, especially for a 40 year old belly weilding diver....) It works for me since I only live 10 minutes or so from there.

Any time you wanna dive, just shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can get together.

Thanks Kunk,

I'll be working Saturday though at the dept. Me and some of the guys just want to get out and dive. I want to get more experienced before I go to Cozumel this summer. Thanks for the invite but will have to pass for this time..will see about the next time!

If you think CSSP is OK, then keep practicing there, that’s my opinion.
As a newly certified diver you’ll benefit from perfecting your buoyancy skills (especially if you’re intending to go on a dive trip in the near future) and CSSP is a good a place as any in the DFW area.
As for another dive site, it's difficult to recommend unless you define what you want and you have really limited your options by stipulating a 2 hour range bracket.
Upping the range to 4 hours would give you quite a few more sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom