Where to dive in June..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inalara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys

I'm the lucky Brit that is being posted to Aus for 6 Months (to start with) from the end of February, based in Perth.

So first on my list of items to pack is (of course) my Dive gear and the (work) clothes will just have to make up the rest of my luggage allowance..

However, while out in Aus, I get to celebrate my *cough* 40th *cough* Birthday during June, so aware that this is mid winter for you guys, where is good for a gal to go diving to celebrate (if anywhere) at that point?

I would prefer it not be be around Perth area, for no other reason than I am hoping to get some regular diving in from there anyway.

About my dive experience, I have just over 350 logged dives, I completed my Divemaster course, but not with a view to working as a DM, just so that I understand more about the sport I love/risks and personal awareness underwater.

Dived in high currents, gentle drift dives, night dives (I love) and although I like seeing new "big stuff", doing a slow leisurely dive looking for Macro, even if you don't "cover" a huge area of reef during the dive is probably more my thing (although a mix is good).

So based on all that, do you have any recommendations for where to dive at the end of June, oh and I won't have a diving buddy to take with me, so somewhere that can help supply a diving Buddy/DM guide style person is a must.

I have the whole of the week booked off, so liveaboards/shore dives etc are all options.

Oh and I know I need to learn to be more succinct, but based on all that any suggestions from those in the know?

p.s. likely water temp would be good to know as I think I need to get a new wet suit while out there (3mm long currently as most diving has been in 25 - 30 C waters)

:happywave and welcome to :sblogo:

so you will be based in perth???

what aboot Christmas Island????

otherwise, if it was me, what about heading over to the east and diving Vanuatu?

and *cough* its my 40th this year too, as we've just got back from our 6th trip to vanuatu we heading to Lady Elliott this year as ive never seen the GBR and liveaboards arent my thing (i dont like boats)

cheers

Aw, gee, MsA - here I thought if you were this close to the outstanding Ningaloo Reef you'd head up here.

June is awesome - whale sharks, manta rays, humpbacks and all of our usual suspects. Ningaloo diving is day diving and it's creature diving, though we do have some lovely reef, too. We have tons of tinys -my personal favourites.

Skywest has flights (the only flights) Skywest Airlines - Home from Perth. There is no other airline. If you hire a car and drive, plan on about 13 hours each way.

6 months is a Long long time.

Opportunities everywhere and the Ladies are absolutely right. Dont mean to play devils advocate. However 6 months on the West Coast and the next thing you know..... your an aussie permanently.

Pack your bags, GET EXCITED..... with all the friendly faces over here, and your diving credentials you will seriously think your in Heaven.

Get Ready to love Vegemite !!!!!!!

PEACE ON REEF

Andy

Thanks for all those suggestions, I've been looking at them all and they appear awesome.... and believe me I can't wait to get out there (and not just for the diving), just need to know my exact date (have 2 possible start dates at the moment) and I'm as good as there.

Dive gear is off being serviced in preparation, log book and cert cards are sat on the side in the "Pack these first" pile

Been looking at Exmouthdive.com and the pictures of the Nudi's and along with possible Whale sharks/Manta's (just missed the season where I dived before) may just swing it for my week off in June (Here's to all the '68 water babies out there).

However, which ever one I choose, the other suggestions will just have to be visited before I leave Aus as I am luckily able to plan a month or 2 after the work has completed to travel/Dive in Aus and the surrounding areas.

Oh and I'll pass on the Aussie hospitality of trying Vegemite... hated the UK equivalent of Marmite as a child, but now I can site medical reasons to not eat anything related to it :D

Wow, I sure am glad I found this, I have a very similar situation, moving to Brisbane for 6 months for work starting end of March. I would love any suggestions for close weekend diving. I will certainly be making a trip or two up north but also want some closer alternatives. What are the typical prices for charters around that area. Can't wait, I hear I will never want to come back. Packing one suitcase of clothes, one for dive gear :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom