Where to complete PADI open water dives in January (coming from NYC)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son (16) has done all of his online and pool work, but needs to do his 4 open water divers to complete PADI certification. The only time we can do it is in January, when he has a 3-day weekend. So I am looking for someplace:

- within reasonable flight distance from NYC
- warm water, or at least as warm as we can get in January
- with good PADI dive shops
- inexpensive

I am thinking of the Florida Keys, but water temps in January are still a bit chilly, so if we can find someplace with warmer water that is still within a few hours flight from NYC, that would be great. (Since it is a 3-day weekend and we won't have a lot of travel time, it really needs to be direct flights.)

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The Keys aren't warm enough- that means you are leaving the CONUS.

He has a passport, right?

Cozumel?

I'd buck-up, put on a wetsuit, and head to Florida.

Keys would not be too cold.Probably around 78 degree.Fine with a 3mm suit.

Or you could come out to the left coast (LA or Seattle) and have your son do his 4 OW dives in cold water but, perhaps, with a great instructor who will really instill good habits. (I am NOT implying that isn't done in warm water either BTW.) It IS cold and thus creates different challenges but, when done properly, the benefits are huge!

"If you can dive in cold water, you can dive anywhere!"

St. Thomas is a 4+ hour direct flight from JFK. Both ways. Not the cheapest flights but since time is a factor...

I ran mid-Jan since you didn't specify dates.
Capture.jpg

Another option is Provo (Providenciales) in the Turks/Caicos. 3 hrs. 40mins each way. And cheaper flights - although staying on Provo will make up the difference quickly. It would be my 1st choice as the diving is better there than in St. Thomas.

Capture2.jpg

Florida Springs area, Just outside Gainesville or Crystal River. Water temps are always 72 degrees, which is easily doable in a 3 mm wetsuit. Crystal clear water and some really nice sights to dive. We take students there every year from NC

Thanks for all the input! I can get $200 r/t to Miami vs at least twice that anywhere else, shorter flights, and reasonably priced hotels, so my son and I have decided that we are going to man up and dive in the (slightly) chilly water of the Florida Keys. (He is a Boy Scout and has built and slept in igloos... a quinzee to be precise... in -20F weather, so he can handle water in the 70s!)

We are probably going to stay at the Marriott Key Largo (I get points) and are looking at Pirate Island Divers (onsite) and Conch Republic Divers.

Any views on either of those (or suggestions for any other dive operator?)

Thanks again!

Hi this is Ric from AquaticOpsDiving in Homestead Florida, gateway to the Keys. I think we can facilitate your son's completion of his open water requirement. While waters are cooler with a wetsuit he would not have a problem. We have negotiated rates with several hotels and will be more than happy to assist you in making arrangements. We operate out of Biscayne National Park and use CG certified watercraft. Typically we do not take more than 6 divers out to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. You can easily fly into Miami and Homestead is approximately 40 minutes driving time. Please email me at AquaticOpsDiving@gmail.com or call 954-937-5387 for more information. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ric Moss
AquaticOps Diving
Aquatic Ops Logo.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom