Where to buy gear? In the PI? Online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny Kimchee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies to my other thread.

As I stated before, I'm coming to the PI for two months of diving this summer. I've always used shop gear before (only have my own mask and snorkel, no other gear), but I reckon that I should go ahead and buy my own gear now.

I need to buy a wetsuit, fins, BCD, computer, etc. I live in Korea (I'm a Yank) now. I don't imagine that gear is too cheap here in Korea, and even if it was I wouldn't be able to effectively comparison shop (my Korean's pretty limited). I don't think ordering stuff from the States would be a good idea, as I'd probably get whacked with a heap of customs taxes.

So, I reckon I should buy in the Philippines...but the question is "where". Online? In Manila? At a resort? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Online delivery could be spotty over there... I would shop in Manila... Send a message to two mix diver/Gordon... he has a shop in Makati... he has everything you need

Kenny,

I think you'll find overall prices in Korean scuba shops pretty expensive. It's not their fault, it's just the high import duties they have to pay on sports goods. That being said, there are few local scuba gear makers. I forget but I remember seeing a couple fairly big dive shops somewhere in the Kangnam area. You might be able to get a good deal on a locally made wetsuit. But for the rest, you're probably better off buying them in the PI.

As Ben said, check out Gordon's shop in Makati
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=187165

I'm sure the others will chime in with their favorite local shops such as Scubaworld, Divers Point, etc.

Have fun shopping... I'd avoid buying gear at resort shops as they tend to have a higher markup and the selections aren't that good.

u can also try Ellen's shop, Diver's Point in Greenhills.

i'd echo the others... if it's a toss-up between manila and seoul then you'll definitely get a better deal in manila...

plus PPD-member shops like Gordon's (twomixdiver - scuba stop) and Ellen's (ellen_chua - diver's point) give great deals for PPDs

plus they throw in friendly conversation for free (gordon includes coffee hahahaha) so that's a bonus right there :biggrin:

Jag

shugar:
i'd echo the others... if it's a toss-up between manila and seoul then you'll definitely get a better deal in manila...

plus PPD-member shops like Gordon's (twomixdiver - scuba stop) and Ellen's (ellen_chua - diver's point) give great deals for PPDs

plus they throw in friendly conversation for free (gordon includes coffee hahahaha) so that's a bonus right there :biggrin:

Jag

Best coffee in Makati... :)

if you are taking your DM course with a dive Op, you may just use the gears they have. and after your course decide where to buy in the philippines (that is if you still want to buy in the philippines)

or you could rent a BP/W also

Kenny Kimchee:
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies to my other thread.

As I stated before, I'm coming to the PI for two months of diving this summer. I've always used shop gear before (only have my own mask and snorkel, no other gear), but I reckon that I should go ahead and buy my own gear now.

I need to buy a wetsuit, fins, BCD, computer, etc. I live in Korea (I'm a Yank) now. I don't imagine that gear is too cheap here in Korea, and even if it was I wouldn't be able to effectively comparison shop (my Korean's pretty limited). I don't think ordering stuff from the States would be a good idea, as I'd probably get whacked with a heap of customs taxes.

So, I reckon I should buy in the Philippines...but the question is "where". Online? In Manila? At a resort? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

If you can arrange your travel so that you spend a day or 2 in Guam you can find some outstanding prices on dive gear since the entire island is "duty free". I'd recommend MDA as a good place to shop.

http://www.mdaguam.com/

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom