Where to buy a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankp8899

Reaction score
Help! I am in the market for a hoseless dive computer. I had purchased a reg set from the dive shop and I know that the markup is high and I fell like I am buying the owner of the dive shop a New Dodge Ram (He just got it.) The warrenty, if i buy from a online company says that they don't have a manufacturers warranty but they have there own 2 year warranty. How offer do computers go out? I really need some help. The online company is about half the price. :confused: Help Help:confused:

Computers generally are reliable and require little or no maintenance. Of course, some brands are less so than others.

When you buy online you risk the running into hassle & expense (if the computer does break) of having it sent back to the vendor, possibility of the vendor not honoring the warranty or/and simply being unable to perform required service. Then you can try to find a place to have it serviced for a fee, and still save $$$ comparing to the full MSRP, that many shops charge. Even if the broken computer is a total loss, at the 1/2 price you can get another one.

When you buy from an authorized dealer couple blocks down the street from your home, you have peace of mind knowing that you protected the money you spent for next year or two, but you pay extra several hundred bucks. Just like getting a really expensive extended warranty.

Does the warranty worth $$$ to you? Personal preference.

frankp8899, I feel your pain. My LDS owner just bought a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. He's a hard working guy, though, and runs an excellent dive shop. I've bought many things from him, including a bc, regs, tanks, and a few other. I also use online shops for certain items. Last month, I bought my new Vytec with hoseless transmitter from Simply Scuba, and saved a bundle. It was just too damn expensive at my LDS. Yes, if I have a problem, it has to be shipped back overseas, but the chance of a problem is remote and shipping costs are reasonable anyway if I have to. Keep in mind, my Suunto came with an official Suunto UK warranty, which is still valid so warranty repairs would still be covered. I just have to deal with the shipping.

In my opinion, computers (most brands) tend to be more reliable and require less servicing than a reg, for example. So buying online is a good option.

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom