Where the heck do you invest these days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It is real tough today to decide where the hell you should park you investments or retirement funds today. Anyone have any great suggestions?

Cherry

Cherry once bubbled...
It is real tough today to decide where the hell you should park you investments or retirement funds today. Anyone have any great suggestions?

Cherry
It pays returns in happiness at least... :D

Cherry,
the usual disclaimer applies ( if you lose all your $$ and cant go diving, I am not responsible :)

I dont have a magic answer, but will try to suppliment the question by telling you what I current am doing.

There is no one single answer, but it somewhat depends on your feelings on how the market will perform and your tolerance for risk.

for the non retirment stuff, I have most of my cash in a Money markey fund, there really are not a lot of short term plays right now. IMO: You need to be in the for long haul until the current state of foreign affairs gets worked out and domestically companies start posting profits for a few solid quarters. so to try to answer the question, I put most of the $$ into a money market fund. ( I am also saving for a house), but I if I had some more to put away I would dollar cost average into a S&P index fund.

For the retirment stuff, I have some of my $$ going into a S&P Index fund so I dont do much worse of much better than the S&P.

I also have a portion of it parked in cash so If I decide I like a particular stock or fund, I can jump on the opportunity.
as to particulars, I like the technology sector, this is my field and I believe in it, so even though it has been beaten down, technology has to move forward, and when the companies start making $$, the stocks and individual mutunal funds will go back up.

hope this help a little.

Cherry once bubbled...

Cherry

my portfolio...avoid each and every one and you should do ok...

Hehehe I like the Beer idea as Kokanee is brewed here in my Home town (There are many other beers though I'd rather drink) right now I am looking at a 60/40 mix bonds and stocks with primarily stocks that have a history of returning dividends. Royal bank etc Krogers perhaps in the US. I am going to avoid too many US stocks because I dont know whats going to happen to the economy there. Any thoughts on specific companies in the Tech sector? There have to be some real deals there given the sh** kicking they took.

Cherry

I had thought of starting a "socially incorrect" mutual fund. You know, with stocks in things such as alcohol, tobacco, and weaponry.

I'm sure those stocks are doing great right now.

Anyone else want in? :boozer: :rasta:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom