Where should the pressure gauge be mounted and what are the advantages of this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for my own knowledge, when we are saying that it’s under the loop, is it a bit similar than the situation with the canister light cable?

I.e. it is under something but still long enough so it can be given to breathe?
I would say no. You can give someone the long hose at full arms-reach and then sort out the light cord. With the hose under the loop, you can’t really give it to someone. Potentially, they could breath off the reg when it’s clipped to your chest. Not pretty, but workable.

Here’s a pic of a friend of mine after a dive. You can see the long hose clipped off to his right chest d ring and the rebreather loop over top.

Another of yours truly before a dive, clipping off the long hose before putting the loop over top.

Attachments

• CCBC2E2D-9681-4F1A-8CA6-383299175E1E.jpeg
    CCBC2E2D-9681-4F1A-8CA6-383299175E1E.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 834DABA6-3E46-4623-9B46-D9820713A360.jpeg
    834DABA6-3E46-4623-9B46-D9820713A360.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 79
It’s becoming more and more popular.
Not outside of the gooist world it isn’t.

99% of all rebreather divers carry a standard stage mounted bailout cylinder with a hose bungeed to the cylinder. Some of those, 10%?, may also have a bailout valve (BOV) for their own convenience which complicates the configuration.

This longhose configuration on a rebreather is most definitely not popular for the obvious reason that it's a massive overcomplication that isn't necessary. It's largely due to the culture of the supporting agency -- which still doesn't promote sidemount nor other mission-specific configurations.

Other issues with it: you need a non-standard rebreather configuration that is seriously modified for that specific style, i.e. a JJ with the large cylinders -- just like the post above. It makes a mockery of the simplicity and standardisation of rebreathers with inverted small cylinders which don't require yoga training.

In short, if you are a GUE person who's swallowed the dogma, then fill your boots with that system and its shortcomings.

This is borderline religious dogma. Like in real life, religion's important to some but the reality is the rest of the world doesn't need to believe in that religion to have a good life.

Not outside of the gooist world it isn’t.

99% of all rebreather divers carry a standard stage mounted bailout cylinder with a hose bungeed to the cylinder. Some of those, 10%?, may also have a bailout valve (BOV) for their own convenience which complicates the configuration.

This longhose configuration on a rebreather is most definitely not popular for the obvious reason that it's a massive overcomplication that isn't necessary. It's largely due to the culture of the supporting agency -- which still doesn't promote sidemount nor other mission-specific configurations.

Other issues with it: you need a non-standard rebreather configuration that is seriously modified for that specific style, i.e. a JJ with the large cylinders -- just like the post above. It makes a mockery of the simplicity and standardisation of rebreathers with inverted small cylinders which don't require yoga training.

In short, if you are a GUE person who's swallowed the dogma, then fill your boots with that system and its shortcomings.

This is borderline religious dogma. Like in real life, religion's important to some but the reality is the rest of the world doesn't need to believe in that religion to have a good life.

I think you're being melodramatic here. The "gue-style" configuration gives you access to lots of onboard bailout gas, and is great for jumping off boats. Additionally, because it's setup similar to a set of doubles, all the same muscle memory still applies. If you worked out the gas volumes you'd already see some of the benefits but I'm guessing you haven't?

I think you're being melodramatic here. The "gue-style" configuration gives you access to lots of onboard bailout gas, and is great for jumping off boats. Additionally, because it's setup similar to a set of doubles, all the same muscle memory still applies. If you worked out the gas volumes you'd already see some of the benefits but I'm guessing you haven't?
I’ve adequate bailout for the dive I’m doing. I don’t need any more.

Why is this all about donating to an out of gas diver? Aside from diving with novices in open water, where their planning and skills — and lack of redundancy— may cause an OOG. ALL technical diving is about redundancy and preparation so the need to donate almost doesn’t exist.

All rebreather divers carry bailout for their own protection should their unit catastrophically fail; that bailout could be used for donation in the extremely unlikely event that it’s required.

It’s like there’s a fetish for the longhose due to years of brainwashing on Open Circuit.

BTW, by its very nature rebreather diving is always technical diving due to the mixed gasses, planning and preparation required. Thus this part of the discussion is outside of basic scuba.

Why is this all about donating to an out of gas diver? Aside from diving with novices in open water, where their planning and skills — and lack of redundancy— may cause an OOG. ALL technical diving is about redundancy and preparation so the need to donate almost doesn’t exist.

All rebreather divers carry bailout for their own protection should their unit catastrophically fail; that bailout could be used for donation in the extremely unlikely event that it’s required.

It’s like there’s a fetish for the longhose due to years of brainwashing on Open Circuit.

BTW, by its very nature rebreather diving is always technical diving due to the mixed gasses, planning and preparation required. Thus this part of the discussion is outside of basic scuba.

Well, since you think it's all down to some kind of brainwashed fetish, then why don't you tell me the best way to manage a long hose when diving with backmounted bailouts?

Well, since you think it's all down to some kind of brainwashed fetish, then why don't you tell me the best way to manage a long hose when diving with backmounted bailouts?
However you like. Backmounted bailouts are very rare** as you well know.

** not talking about small 3 litre tanks; the larger ones.

However you like. Backmounted bailouts are very rare** as you well know.

** not talking about small 3 litre tanks; the larger ones.
Ok, so let's say I want to wear it like I would any 7 foot hose and clip it off to my d-ring like I do when diving a stage on open circuit. Am I still a fetishist? Lol

For clarity I'm specifically talking about diving larger backmounted bailouts like lp50s. You know the ones that you say are exceedingly rare, and yet I continue to see more and more of them around here.

Hot take: not everyone is doing the dives you’re doing. A lot of guys are going deeper, with penetration, and longer bottom times.

An al80 of bottom gas doesn’t cut it. For a lot of us, the idea of not using a BOV is crazy. Again, the manifolded tanks give a large volume of gas that’s immediately accessible. That’s what you want if you have a co2 hit. Theres more than a few reports from survivors who’ve stated that they almost couldn’t switch because of their incredible urge to breath. BOV simplifies that.

And it is growing in popularity outside of GUE. You might not be seeing it, but it’s certainly happening. From “zero” outside of pSCR divers, to seeing guys using it with the fathom, Meg, non-GUE trained JJ, and others, it’s gaining traction.

Hot take: not everyone is doing the dives you’re doing. A lot of guys are going deeper, with penetration, and longer bottom times.

An al80 of bottom gas doesn’t cut it. For a lot of us, the idea of not using a BOV is crazy. Again, the manifolded tanks give a large volume of gas that’s immediately accessible. That’s what you want if you have a co2 hit. Theres more than a few reports from survivors who’ve stated that they almost couldn’t switch because of their incredible urge to breath. BOV simplifies that.

And it is growing in popularity outside of GUE. You might not be seeing it, but it’s certainly happening. From “zero” outside of pSCR divers, to seeing guys using it with the fathom, Meg, non-GUE trained JJ, and others, it’s gaining traction.
That may be, but the vast majority of people diving CCR are doing it at and a bit beyond recreational depths and durations. They aren't doing long overhead penetrations nor dives outside of the normoxic range (circa 70m/230ft). Virtually all of these are diving with one or two bailout cylinders slung as stages.

Just as most of us drive boring cars; only a few drive racing cars for track days.

As we're in Basic Scuba, the only thing that matters to a novice diver that's run out of gas is yes, a rebreather diver can help as they're carrying usable gas in those side-slung tanks. You need to make clear that you need the gas NOW with a slashing motion of the hand over your throat; the rebreather diver will pass their regulator hose to you, then probably give you the bottle as you both go to the surface and end your dive.

That may be, but the vast majority of people diving CCR are doing it at and a bit beyond recreational depths and durations. They aren't doing long overhead penetrations nor dives outside of the normoxic range (circa 70m/230ft). Virtually all of these are diving with one or two bailout cylinders slung as stages.

Just as most of us drive boring cars; only a few drive racing cars for track days.

As we're in Basic Scuba, the only thing that matters to a novice diver that's run out of gas is yes, a rebreather diver can help as they're carrying usable gas in those side-slung tanks. You need to make clear that you need the gas NOW with a slashing motion of the hand over your throat; the rebreather diver will pass their regulator hose to you, then probably give you the bottle as you both go to the surface and end your dive.
That’s fine. Go nuts. Doesn’t bother me at all.

But you asked for the rationale behind having more gas. You got it. Idk what to tell you. If you don’t like it, don’t dive it?

Back
Top Bottom