Where should the pressure gauge be mounted and what are the advantages of this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I dive a double hose regulator which has the same configuration and in order to donate, DIR team or not, I must remove my loop, close the DSV (yes, it has a DSV), raise the loop away and over my head with one hand, then grab the long hose and deploy it to my OOA buddy with the other hand, unless they are in condition to assist, and so that leaves my $7,000 camera hanging on the end of a tether. It is a really good tether too but is it $7,000 good? Rather not find out! But I guess in your team nobody carries a real camera?

Oh, and I forgot, then I have to get my loop back in my mouth and open the DSV while sorting my buddy out. Could I make it work, yes, could a diver with the console crossed over the octopus make it work, maybe, but neither are ideal.

James
Where's your HUD?

(What kind of unit is that?)

Donation just isn’t as immediate on a rebreather.
CCR donate: reach down/back for your bailout reg (from where it was when you tested it when you got to the bottom); shove it in their face. Almost as fast as a longhose.

Where's your HUD?

(What kind of unit is that?)

CCR donate: reach down/back for your bailout reg (from where it was when you tested it when you got to the bottom); shove it in their face. Almost as fast as a longhose.
The need to donate, I should have said. It doesn’t sneak up on ya.

The need to donate, I should have said. It doesn’t sneak up on ya.
Yup. Never had it happen to me in all my diving.

However, enough people here have claimed someone demanded gas from them so we have to ass-u-me that it was sudden and unexpected; give 'em the gas ASAP if not before.

Yup. Never had it happen to me in all my diving.

However, enough people here have claimed someone demanded gas from them so we have to ass-u-me that it was sudden and unexpected; give 'em the gas ASAP if not before.
I’m RARELY diving a rebreather where anyone else that’s not on my team would need gas.

Firmly in my “exceedingly rare” bucket.

I’m RARELY diving a rebreather where anyone else that’s not on my team would need gas.

Firmly in my “exceedingly rare” bucket.
Are you diving mostly caves?

I'm not sure how a thread in the basic scuba forum has drifted into CCR use, camera and scooter expense, and cave talk! Then again, it started with someone apparently asking about SPG configuration on a H valve single tank with two 1st stages, so I guess it was doomed from the start.

Anyhow, to put my two cents in the issue raised by the OP, for crying out loud ditch the stupid H valve and use some sort of doubles if you need redundancy.

Oh, and someone along the way brought up the interesting but completely off topic issue of whether or not a long hose would help to prevent freezing because it contains a larger volume of IP air than does a short hose. The answer, as far as I can reason it out, is that yes, theoretically that is true, although I have no idea if it has any real-world impact. Probably some. Here's why: Scuba air gets cold when it decompresses, and warmed by the water surrounding the regulator. That's what heat transfer is. The biggest drop in pressure, and consequently coldest air, happens right as air exits the 1st stage. The air then warms somewhat in the hose before cooling again as it decompresses in the 2nd stage, but that's a much smaller pressure drop so it's less cooling.

Ok, so the long hose theoretically helps in two ways; one is that the air spends more time in it than it would in a shorter hose, and moves more slowly. The other way is a little more abstract; since there is a larger quantity of IP air, when you take a breath and draw from that IP air, you are drawing a smaller percentage of that air, resulting in a smaller drop in IP, which means less decompression at the 1st stage valve.

Now I have really derailed this already-nutty thread. Sorry about that!

Mostly. But I dive wrecks with my rebreather too. Just not often.
I guess I understand that you aren’t as likely to be mugged by a random OOA diver around a cave corner :p

Needing to donate is an unlikely scenario.

That said, the consequences for being unable to manage an unlikely scenario are extremely bad, which drives the idea of having a method to solve it. Take, for instance, bad gas. Rare. I’d argue even more rare for technical divers. But such a thing would render the RB and the bailout potentially unusable. A long hose gives a way to manage that. And again, it’s not a “surprise” event. Bailout-> still having issues -> consider using the long hose.

Donation just isn’t as immediate on a rebreather.

Additionally, the need to donate could be temporary, and you need to be able to put the long hose away, hence the “standard” routing that’s the same as with a set of doubles.

Nice try at the gotcha game, but this isn’t your wheelhouse :)
A trapped hose or trapped equipment that might be needed in an emergency is still a trapped hose regardless. You pointed out a trapped hose on an octopus and I pointed out a trapped hose on some CCR rigs. You take issue that one is not okay and the other is. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. A trapped hose is still a trapped hose.

Yes, I understand that the difference is that the CCR diver has additional redundancy and options to immediately fall back on so that an unhurried donation is possible from the buddy/team if needed. Additional redundancy is not exclusive to CCR divers. The wrapped long hose in the case being discussed is still a force fitting of a solution that works well with Hogarthian rigs in OC to a CCR where it results in a trapped hose.

Is the hose trapped under the loop and does it therefore require removal of the loop to donate or not?

BTW, the diver who you pointed out had a trapped hose is known to use a back mounted pony bottle so he too has that additional resource to deploy potentially allowing him plenty of time to afterwards deploy his octopus by unclipping one bolt snap on his console or not as desired. And maybe his mates and buddies do likewise. And regardless of what he and his mates do, an OC diver could as well have multiple options and would you still have pointed out the entrapment? And I did agree with you, it is indeed a trapped hose.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom