Where should the pressure gauge be mounted and what are the advantages of this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a standard (biggish) analog console that has SPG, depth gauge, compass, thermometer. I clip it across my chest left to right. easy to flip up and see everything.

You are a superstar TMHeimer

full

That's where my console goes, I just have to look at it, no flipping with two dive computers incorporated

Funny thing I'm wearing a poorerlens next to my head and have the footage somewhere
of the cameraman and his buddies, with us all waving at each other, as I appeared by myself
out of the gloom and then with us shaking hands as I dive past I like shaking congratulatory hands
during the cool dive moments this time where we were having a ball and really happy to see each other

Left arm just hanging there right hand finger waving at the crowd with the legs controlling the ship

and laughing

You are a superstar TMHeimer

full

That's where my console goes, I just have to look at it, no flipping with two dive computers incorporated

Funny thing I'm wearing a poorerlens next to my head and have the footage somewhere
of the cameraman and his buddies, with us all waving at each other, as I appeared by myself
out of the gloom and then with us shaking hands as I dive past I like shaking congratulatory hands
during the cool dive moments this time where we were having a ball and really happy to see each other

Left arm just hanging there right hand finger waving at the crowd with the legs controlling the ship

and laughing
Looks to me like that console is across your octo hose.

Of course, I’m sure you’ll say it wasn’t. Doubt tho.

Looks to me like that console is across your octo hose.

Of course, I’m sure you’ll say it wasn’t. Doubt tho.

I see the same thing quite often, an octopus regulator trapped under a crossed console or pulled through a BC arm opening to get the hose to tuck in but then, how is the regulator donated smoothly and quickly? I think it results from not doing drills/practice with the resulting discovery of that being a poor practie and not thinking it through. There is little point in an octopus, long hose donation, pony bottle or whatever if the regulator intended for support of an OOA buddy cannot be deployed without unhooking various other bits and pieces no matter how convenient having a honking big console might be strapped across the chest, the OOA diver might be a most unhappy diver. Might be a dead diver :( . If it works, I guess so----.

Might not be any worse though than a CCR diver with the long hose trapped under the primary loop.

James

I see the same thing quite often, an octopus regulator trapped under a crossed console or pulled through a BC arm opening to get the hose to tuck in but then, how is the regulator donated smoothly and quickly? I think it results from not doing drills/practice with the resulting discovery of that being a poor practie and not thinking it through. There is little point in an octopus, long hose donation, pony bottle or whatever if the regulator intended for support of an OOA buddy cannot be deployed without unhooking various other bits and pieces no matter how convenient having a honking big console might be strapped across the chest, the OOA diver might be a most unhappy diver. Might be a dead diver :( . If it works, I guess so----.

Might not be any worse though than a CCR diver with the long hose trapped under the primary loop.

James
The above is much worse than a long hose under a loop; fairly obvious you haven’t practiced such a thing in a CCR or pSCR team.

The above is much worse than a long hose under a loop; fairly obvious you haven’t practiced such a thing in a CCR or pSCR team.
But I dive a double hose regulator which has the same configuration and in order to donate, DIR team or not, I must remove my loop, close the DSV (yes, it has a DSV), raise the loop away and over my head with one hand, then grab the long hose and deploy it to my OOA buddy with the other hand, unless they are in condition to assist, and so that leaves my $7,000 camera hanging on the end of a tether. It is a really good tether too but is it $7,000 good? Rather not find out! But I guess in your team nobody carries a real camera?

Oh, and I forgot, then I have to get my loop back in my mouth and open the DSV while sorting my buddy out. Could I make it work, yes, could a diver with the console crossed over the octopus make it work, maybe, but neither are ideal.

James

But I dive a double hose regulator which has the same configuration and in order to donate, DIR team or not, I must remove my loop, close the DSV (yes, it has a DSV), raise the loop away and over my head with one hand, then grab the long hose and deploy it to my OOA buddy with the other hand, unless they are in condition to assist, and so that leaves my $7,000 camera hanging on the end of a tether. It is a really good tether to but is it $7,000 good? Rather not find out! But I guess in your team nobody carries a real camera?

James
Yawn, poor reading comprehension. Note the presence of “CCR or pSCR team” in my quote.

To answer the rest of the drivel in your post. yes, they’re generally similarly expensive photo or light rigs mounted atop $7-12K scooters, all on a single boltsnap to the crotch d-ring. You know not of what you speak in terms of CCR teams.

But I dive a double hose regulator which has the same configuration and in order to donate, DIR team or not, I must remove my loop, close the DSV (yes, it has a DSV), raise the loop away and over my head with one hand, then grab the long hose and deploy it to my OOA buddy with the other hand, unless they are in condition to assist, and so that leaves my $7,000 camera hanging on the end of a tether. It is a really good tether too but is it $7,000 good? Rather not find out! But I guess in your team nobody carries a real camera?

James
Alright, I’ll go down this road.

So the big difference between a single tank oc diver having to unclip and move stuff to donate vs a rebreather diver with the long hose under loop is that the rebreather diver’s buddy has his own host of bailout options. BOV, his backup, his own long hose, perhaps even a deco bottle depending on the situation. It takes some doin’ to get to the point where you need to donate to your buddy.

In contrast, a single tank diver can need air from his buddy with just a single failure.

The two are not the same.

And I’ll happily ditch whatever expensive piece of gear I need to save my buddy. Idgaf about a camera or a scooter compared to that.

There is already a thread about pony bottles for recreational divers so there are alternative solutions. If the CCR buddy has a host of other options, true, why then maintain a redundant air source ostensibly for donation if the buddy has other and better options? Seems like a double complication, a trapped hose and it being unnecessary per you. And it is another failure point?

Yes, I would drop the camera to save a buddy, of course. Who said different? But a more elegant solution would not require me to do so, as in not insisting that a long hose wrapped from behind the neck/head and under the loop is the best way to rig a regulator for donation just because it is done that way with with OC diving. Or under a console or other equipment.

James

Yawn, poor reading comprehension. Note the presence of “CCR or pSCR team” in my quote.

To answer the rest of the drivel in your post. yes, they’re generally similarly expensive photo or light rigs mounted atop $7-12K scooters, all on a single boltsnap to the crotch d-ring. You know not of what you speak in terms of CCR teams.
Your drivel is equally incomprehensible. A single failure point tether can fail. But thanks for the attempt to insult me rather than have a discussion.

Edit to add, when a response is intentionally derisive I would always consider that is because there is not a lucid response available from the respondent. Even when another poster did provide a good response that rather than attempting to insult provided a good explanation and reasonable process.

N

There is already a thread about pony bottles for recreational divers so there are alternative solutions. If the CCR buddy has a host of other options, true, why then maintain a redundant air source ostensibly for donation if the buddy has other and better options? Seems like a double complication, a trapped hose and it being unnecessary per you, a failure point?

James
Needing to donate is an unlikely scenario.

That said, the consequences for being unable to manage an unlikely scenario are extremely bad, which drives the idea of having a method to solve it. Take, for instance, bad gas. Rare. I’d argue even more rare for technical divers. But such a thing would render the RB and the bailout potentially unusable. A long hose gives a way to manage that. And again, it’s not a “surprise” event. Bailout-> still having issues -> consider using the long hose.

Donation just isn’t as immediate on a rebreather.

Additionally, the need to donate could be temporary, and you need to be able to put the long hose away, hence the “standard” routing that’s the same as with a set of doubles.

Nice try at the gotcha game, but this isn’t your wheelhouse :)

Back
Top Bottom