Where should I stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll throw my hat in the GRI crowd as well. I can't find a better deal on the Island, they are always friendly and happy, the rooms are nice, cute, and clean, everything is arranged for you, and Wannadive is an easy place to deal with, there are always plenty of tanks with great fills to be had. Can't beat it. I am going back for my third consecutive trip at the end of February...

I have a company that sends people on scuba diving vacations only, send many to Bonaire. To meet the requirements you have mentioned I would suggest Caribbean Club, not on the beach per se but on the water. Den Laman is another option. You can reach me at info@caribbeandivevacations.com and I'll tell you what I know.

I like Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn
It is small, clean, relatively inexpensive, convenient to town and
Bruce has always been just crusty enough to be fun.

Liz and Ed at Goldean Reef are awesome.
I have yet to make it to Bonaire but when I do, I'll be staying with them.
They were so helpful when researching a trip that didn't materialize and they gave me honest advice, not self serving,"YOU HAVE TO STAY WITH US" mumbo jumbo.
Just PM and talk to them...They'll steer you in the right direction.

We are Bonaire regulars, as we bought a studio at Sand Dollar. We liked Sand Dollar because it is just north of Kralendijk, quiet, on the Sea (and our unit has a killer view of the water), low key, next to the dive shop, pier, Fish Eye Photo and Bari reef (the reef in front of Sand Dollar) has been found to have the greatest fish diversity in the Caribbean. The resort has tennis courts and a swimming pool, if you want to use those amenities. And, you can get wifi Internet service for a fee.

Sand Dollar is also flanked by a small strip shopping center that has a little grocer, "to die for" ice cream shop, Internet cafe (where you can purchase minutes for wireless Internet in your Sand Dollar condo or use their computers) and bank. Two restaurants flank Sand Dollar so you can dine there without going elsewhere if you like. So, we can walk out of our unit and be at the dive shop, waterfront or Fish-Eye photo in no time at all and be enjoying the sea life snorkeling or diving or do a little shopping or banking or dining out without driving.

You can rent from Sand Dollar through the website Sand Dollar Condo Scuba Resort Bonaire, Netherlands antilles: or you can rent from the individual owners like me. Sand Dollar offers packages that include rental truck, shore diving, boat diving, Nitrox and breakfasts, if you want all of that or you can structure your package to include only what you want.

You can also rent directly from the units' owners. You can still get rental trucks and dive packages but you might also get a better rental arrangement if you deal directly with the unit's owner. Sand Dollar staff support renters who arranged their rentals with owners the same way it supports those renting through the US reservation operation or the website.

When we were renters, we just purchased our Sand Dollar package from the US reservations operation 1-800-288-4773 or US: 954-453-5025. We elected NOT to include breakfast for we could buy food at the grocery and do it ourselves for less money.

Sand Dollar's dive shop is Bonaire Dive and Adventure. We took the entire open water certification course from them and were totally impressed with the quality of instruction and the way our instructor interacted with us. [We are certified as American Canoe Association Whitewater Canoe Instructor Trainers and were quite impressed with Bonaire Dive and Adventure's training program.) Others (including a divemaster) who dove with us were amazed at the skills we had learned and our buoyancy control after only 5 dives. The dive shop treated us well before we were Sand Dollar owners and has continued their great service and helpful ways once we purchased our unit. In addition, when you settle up at the end of your stay, they compute the air and boat dives you took to make sure you get the best package price available. I found that helpful so I didn't have to worry about whether I picked the cheapest package upfront.

I encourage you to purchase the guidebook to Bonaire's dive/snorkel sites. It is excellent. We used it religiously to find all of the snorkel sites rated as excellent. It's descriptions are dead-on. Since we have snorkeled Bonaire more than dive it, I have not visited all the dive sites rated as excellent yet. PErhaps I will get to all of them when we go next month. At any rate, ask any dive shop for recommendations. And, get this guidebook. It's a wonderful resource.

We found Bonaire to be a relatively affordable vacation by purchasing food and not eating out a lot. The Cultimara and Warehouse are large grocery stores (but small compared to American supermarkets) that are well stocked the day after a ship arrives. They have everything you will need if not everything that you want. Bonaire also has a number of neighborhood markets that sell what you need. One (More for Less) actually sells organic produce, as well as a full line of meat products.

For anyone wanting more information, feel free to send me a private email. I love to help folks enjoy Bonaire.

Laura

We stayed at Happy holiday Homes in Belnem twice, once last Christmas and once Sept of this year. It is very inexpensive, but very functional and clean. You can visit their website. They can arrange a package with a dive shop, reserve a rental truck for you and recommend just about anything you would need (where to get groceries what elso to do there) Louise Villanuevue is the proprietor and is very very attentive. THey do have a couple things that are strange, like you sending your deposit check to a bank in Fla and not taking credit cards, but it is very very reasonable. We dove with Dive Friends Bonaire, and they were excellent. My two sons are autistic and need a little bit of help topside but are perfect under water and their staff was extremely patient with them. If you need more suggestions of dives not to miss or anything else in Bonaire, send me a message, I would be glad to share what worked for us. You are going to love Bonaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were 14 divers last year. We stayed at Denlaman. They have it all, view of the ocean, 24-7 diving, nitrox, truck and Bari's reef right behind your back yard.
We are planning to return again this year.
Joe

:cool2:Got my AOW cert at the Divi Flamingo. I was very green and they took good care of me...plus the accomodations were fantastic. I can't wait to go back!

We have been diving in Bonaire for 10 years. We used to stay at the Divi as we traveled with people that had a time share there. However about 3 years ago we began looking for more economical digs and we found them. Go to bonairevillagevillas.com. If there are 2 of you, you can rent a 2 bed, 2 bath duplex for $109 per day and that includes a car and all government taxes. The apartment is great for divers....all tile. The furniture is reasonable, the beds good. It is completely furnished with dishes, linens, etc. There is a microwave and a cooktop, no oven. AC is only in the bedrooms so you don't want to cook a lot anyway. We usually try to cook thing like baked potato & salad, or grill in the front yard. The only negative I would say is that there is no hot water heater. My husband finds that a negative as he likes steaming hot showers. However, the water pipes on the island run very close to the surface and you will get a warm shower, just not hot, so let that be your warning. The price makes warm very acceptable to us.

This place is maybe a mile or less from the Divi and we still get our shore dive packages from them as they are convenient to pick up tanks as we come and go from the apartment. The owners are from Belgium, but have a local hostess that will pick you up and return you to the airport.

Now having said all that, if it is your first trip to Bonaire, you might be better off in a local resort as you will be close to those that can help you out when you don't know where to go. However, we have been all over the island and this is a great spot for us.

Do know that Bonaire is full of little thieves....mostly kids. Never take stuff to leave in your car as you go diving and always lock your car and house securely at night. Don't leave stuff hanging on the porch that they can take. However, it is our favorite place to dive and we will continue to go back. Take a good attitude and have lots of fun.

Donna

If you're looking for more bottom time, and a great house reef, I'd check out the Black Durgon Inn. It's 4 miles north of town, and Small Wall reef is right there. Best way to contact Al, the owner, is via e-mail at bonaire@BlackDurgon.com. They serve breakfast, the rooms are small, but very, very clean, and Al is a great source of information, not to mention been diving forever. He is also an SSI guru (many of the SSI book photos were taken at his place).

Back
Top Bottom