Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ragtopjen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am relatively new to diving, but want to gain more experience. I have only been to Hawaii and the Florida Keys diving so far, but would like to start planning my next dive vacation. Only problem, there are so many places to go, it's hard to know where to start. So anyway, I would like to try someplace that has a variety of diving, some a bit more challenging so that I can expand my skill set, but nothing beyond my ability (only 10 dives, so far). I would love somewhere with healthy coral and a variety of fish, but that's probably what everyone wants. :D Dive guides would be a plus, since right now I still haven't mastered underwater navigation. I was thinking somewhere in the Caribbean (I've never been), but I don't want to do the Disney version, so that means no McDonalds, KFC, or Target. As for topside, I am not a person who needs a happening nightlife. Can anybody help me?

I am relatively new to diving, but want to gain more experience. I have only been to Hawaii and the Florida Keys diving so far, but would like to start planning my next dive vacation. Only problem, there are so many places to go, it's hard to know where to start. So anyway, I would like to try someplace that has a variety of diving, some a bit more challenging so that I can expand my skill set, but nothing beyond my ability (only 10 dives, so far). I would love somewhere with healthy coral and a variety of fish, but that's probably what everyone wants. :D Dive guides would be a plus, since right now I still haven't mastered underwater navigation. I was thinking somewhere in the Caribbean (I've never been), but I don't want to do the Disney version, so that means no McDonalds, KFC, or Target. As for topside, I am not a person who needs a happening nightlife. Can anybody help me?

Based on your description either Bonaire or Cruacao would fit the bill. Bonaire is less developed the Curacao but there is a KFC in downtown Kralendijk.

I believe Curacao has a McDonald's in addition to KFC:).

MC Donalds, Burger King, KFC, Subway, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robins, Tony Romas, Cinnabon, Denny's, Dominoes Pizza, Holliday Inn, Marriott, Hyat (being built).

BUT

We also have
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...ao-dive-site-watamula-one-best-caribbean.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...room-forest-blue-cave-highly-recommended.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/233201-tugboat-dive-bus.html

Come to Curacao, come to Curacao, come to Curacao (keep repeating it all day).

LOL.

Don

I totally disagree. Being a new diver and traveling alone without a buddy, I would not go to Bonaire or Curacao. Both destinations are great but the highlight of going to either is the great shore diving - and without a buddy and being a new diver, I wouldn't recommend it. Save those destinations for later.

If I were you, I would look into going to Belize or Roatan or Caymans. Do you have a budget in mind? Cozumel is also an option and the cheapest place.
Check out some of the deals offered on the major Scuba Travel websites:
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
and
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations

They can give a good idea of what type of package you can get.
That is the best place to start and then you can ask more specific questions.

robin:D

I totally disagree. Being a new diver and traveling alone without a buddy, I would not go to Bonaire or Curacao. Both destinations are great but the highlight of going to either is the great shore diving - and without a buddy and being a new diver, I wouldn't recommend it. Save those destinations for later.

If I were you, I would look into going to Belize or Roatan or Caymans. Do you have a budget in mind? Cozumel is also an option and the cheapest place.
Check out some of the deals offered on the major Scuba Travel websites:
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
and
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations

They can give a good idea of what type of package you can get.
That is the best place to start and then you can ask more specific questions.

robin:D

Where did you read that the dive OP was traveling alone? I did not see that anywhere within her posting.

On Curacao she could always do shore diving with the Dive Bus. Caracas Bay gas full facilites and a dive shop located on the site. Caracas Bay require minimal, if any, navigational skills to be successful. You simply keep the muli-tiered reef on your left and turn left when you reach a certain buoy or landmark and you will be at the tugboat. When you are done with the worlds longest safety stop at the Tugboat simply head back to the entry point. If she is not sure of the direction to the entry/exit point she could easily surface from 15 feet and get her bearings.

If she is staying at Breezes Curacao she gets a guided dive included for free each day.

Also, her profile does not list where she is located. She might want to update her ScubaBoard Profile so that it would give people more to go on.

I assumed she was going alone as she always uses "I" and not "we" in her sentences.
--- I am relatively new to diving, but want to gain more experience. I have only been to Hawaii and the Florida Keys diving so far, but would like to start planning my next dive vacation. Only problem, there are so many places to go, it's hard to know where to start. So anyway, I would like to try someplace that has a variety of diving, some a bit more challenging so that I can expand my skill set, but nothing beyond my ability (only 10 dives, so far). I would love somewhere with healthy coral and a variety of fish, but that's probably what everyone wants. Dive guides would be a plus, since right now I still haven't mastered underwater navigation. I was thinking somewhere in the Caribbean (I've never been), but I don't want to do the Disney version, so that means no McDonalds, KFC, or Target. As for topside, I am not a person who needs a happening nightlife. Can anybody help me?
It sounds like to me that the OP is traveling and diving alone.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry, to be more clear, no a buddy I got, but he is newer to diving than I am. When he saw how much fun I was having he decided to get certified. I am thinking about the Caymans. According to their website, Brac Reef Resort does guided dives. Belize is also an option, but since I have never done any shore diving, some of the things I read about Belize indicate that some of the entries can be a bit treacherous. As for the budget, I haven't nailed that down yet either. I would rather put the trip off a little longer, to be able to save more money then go someplace that I won't like that may be cheaper, just so I can go "right away."

Bonaire is perhaps the easiest diving in the Caribbean and requires minimal navigation skills. Visibility is great, currents are generally slight and there is generally no surface chop. It has been called "bathtub diving". Yet it offers healthy coral reefs and a good variety of fish. You and your certified buddy would be perfectly comfortable diving there, guided or unguided. The operation I use offers three boat dives a day, so if you want guided dives and dive briefings, that is certainly available. Although there is a KFC there, Bonaire comes pretty close to a non-commercialized destination and you can tailor your trip to your budget. It is a great place for a beginner to fall in love with diving.

When I was a new diver, my first real dive desitnation with Roatan - Anthony's Key Resort. It was very easy diving, guided, and a great price. This was a long time ago, but I have spoken to people who have recently been there and they really enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom