Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Burger Kings, KFCs or McDonalds in the British Virgin Islands (franchise restaurants are banned by law in the BVI). Just good local cuisine and clear warm waters and good diving.

Since you have a buddy, you can do Bonaire very easily, even as newbies. And no, you don't have to do all boat dives. If you stay at a dive resort like Buddy's or Sand Dollar, you can shore dive right there every day in addition to a daily boat dive. Many other dive sites on the island have very easy entries so don't let the rumors of rough entries scare you. (I did fall once, crash and burn on one entry but that was at the Hilma Hooker). We loved Bonaire and thought is was some of the best diving we have ever done but I don't know if we would have loved it as much as a beginner. Just my 2 cents.

As for other places, check out Welcome to CoCo View Resort and also Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop both are all-inclusives (hotel, food, guided boat diving included). Or check out Belize on Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures where there are tons of hotels on Ambergris Caye and dive operators with guided boat dives. I think you would be happy with any of those options for your first real trip diving.

robin:D

We loved Bonaire and thought is was some of the best diving we have ever done but I don't know if we would have loved it as much as a beginner.
Why not?

Because as a beginner we would still have been working on skills and air consumption would not be what it is today. Dives would have been less shorter with more technical distractions.

After 8 yrs of diving, we are very comfortable underwater and tend to spread out more, exploring more of the reef as we do our thing (hubby shoots still photos, I shoot video). We have much longer bottom times and more self-confidence.

Bonaire is wonderful, but I don't think WE would have enjoyed it as much as newbies. I am not saying that the OP needs to wait 8 yrs to go there, like us, I am just saying if she is nervous about skills right now and diving with another brand new diver, I wouldn't go there. I would go somewhere that allows her confidence to build, guided dives like she said she wanted, and still get in some good diving. Bonaire isn't the only good diving in the Caribbean. There are other places that may suite HER needs better. My opinion.

robin:D

I am not arguing with you Robin; as you said, that is your experience. I have never experienced easier diving than in Bonaire, and I have been to many of the popular Caribbean dive spots. (I am surprised to see you recommend Cozumel; it seems like drift diving would be a complication for somebody not ready to tackle Bonaire.) If the OP needs a guide, or would feel more comfortable with a guide, it's certainly easy to arrange in Bonaire.

I do agree with you that you will enjoy Bonaire more as an experienced diver than as a new diver, but that is probably true for any (non-quarry) dive. If the question is will she, as a new diver, enjoy Bonaire more than any of the alternatives, I'd say yes. And she can always go back when she gets some experience and enjoy it more on the second or third go-round, as many people do.

Last edited:
actually, drift diving is easier than shore diving for several reasons - all you have to do is fall in the water and drift.... then when you get low on air you do your safety stop and come to the surface with the boat there waiting on you! No navigation skills, very little kicking, follow the DM. We did our first 4 ocean dive trips to Cozumel with a teenager and never had any problems with drift diving. As long as you don't try to kick against it, or don't follow the DM, it is easy easy easy.

Thanks for the quick course in drift diving.:wink:

It seems like the major advantage of Cozumel in your estimation is that you don't have to kick. If the effort of kicking is an obstacle, diving should be re-evaluated as a pastime. While drift diving may seem effortless, good buoyancy control and good situational awareness are essential to keeping buddy teams together. If you also have to maintain proximity to a divemaster, it demands greater awareness and control. Divemasters conducting drift dives will usually want to keep their group together; that may tempt newer divers to exceed their comfort boundaries in terms of depth or gas reserve.

Contrast that with the bathtub diving in Bonaire, where if two buddies get separated, they have an easy swim in either direction to team up again; where they can pick whatever depth they are comfortable with, even if they are diving with a group; where they can keep the reef as a reference throughout the dive.

Yes, a divemaster can roll eight new divers into the water in Cozumel and pick them up 60 minutes later and the whole thing is effortless--as long as everything goes smoothly.

Bonaire seems to be a consensus for a good newbie diver spot. I do want to improve my skills and practice my underwater navigation. I just wanted to make sure to do it safely so as not to get myself over my head.

Though now I have a list of about four places, guess I know where I am going for the next couple of years.

Jen, a search for "Bonaire" will bury you in information. In addition to what you find here, bonairetalk.com is worth checking out. I think the island will be a perfect fit for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom