Where shall i start a diving career as a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shop I work at DM's dint get paid they just dive for free assisting classes. They only get paid if doing a discover scuba. They work for the discounts on equipment and all have other jobs elsewhere.

As a DM you are pretty much worthless to an op. Most DM's that actually are working are instructors. Even they don't make much. Unless they are also able to service regs, fix compressors, have a captains license, can do Web design, or know how to tend bar. A dm is actually supposed to help instructors teach classes. Most of them are expected to do it for "the love of diving" or other nonsense that allows them to be paid squat. And many devalue and degrade the rating by doing just that. If you want to make money forget about doing it as a DM. Go on to instructor, get a few years teaching experience, then maybe you can look for a diving job that will pay you a wage you can survive on alone. Most will require you to supplement your income in some other way.
I hope the place you are doing your dm with didn't mislead you into thinking a DM could get a job and live on what you'd make from it. If they did why aren't they hiring you and not making you pay for your training.

Jim is just wrong here. In many destination dive resorts throughout the world, they are staffed with instructors and DM's alike. I have met scores of working DM's throughout the Carribean, South Pacific, Mexico, and even in Florida. DM's lead certified divers on dives, not only assist in instruction. DM's help load the boat, and are hired as private guides by couples and familiies and some singles. They do not get rich, but in their local economy they do well enough to make a living, especially when tips are good. Dm's do a lot of snorkelling trip guiding, and there is good money and tips in that filed as well. I suggest the op confer with people who have worked a dive destinations as DM's and get information from people who have useful information to share as he makes his career decisions.
DivemasterDennis

My instructor was very up front when I asked him what the advantages of becoming a Divemaster were. "More diving and cheap gear." Which for me is enough.

My instructor was very up front when I asked him what the advantages of becoming a Divemaster were. "More diving and cheap gear." Which for me is enough.

We get 15-20% off on gear, servicing, etc. That may come in handy if you tend to buy a lot of gear. The free air can add up more--especially if you dive all year locally (unlike myself, who must obviously buy it when away). The "more diving" would seem better if you do charters as opposed to just assisting with OW courses doing checkouts at the same old shore sites. Either way, I wouldn't consider it simply more diving since you are constantly on duty supervising students.
In other words despite enjoying it, it's still work.

However you look at it, you have to get a lot of free air yearly and discounts to recover the cost of the DM course and yearly insurance and agency membership fee.

I currently get things for about 10% over wholesale, which has paid off in the short term because I bought a new travel BCD and upgraded my reg. Long term I just get more experience. There are some opportunities to do some trips, but we're in Kansas, so the local diving isn't all that desirable.

At some point down the road I will probably do IDC, but there's not a huge rush. He currently does most of his training at the college I work for and when he retires I'm hoping I can live an easy existence teaching a scuba class a semester to support my habit. Free air for road trips isn't too bad either.

Perks I get include: free entry into the inland site, free hot drinks. 50% off food and cold drinks. an additional 10% off member prices in the shop, 50% off air and nitrox if I'm not working (free gas if I'm working), and an additional 10% off members price for trimix. The site/shop/company also covers my yearly insurance, plus I get paid what basically amounts to minimum wage. The pay covers my fun diving in the sea diving season, and the cheap gas is worth it. In the winter, the diving costs me peanuts.

rivers, Good to read of someone else who gets paid. You have a good deal. Our shop doesn't pay insurance or membership, but we get free air working or not. You're supposed to DM 4 full courses each year for that deal.

You always say "we" but as near as I can tell you're the only DM in Canada (if not the world) that gets paid anything to DM an OW class... much less $300.

I get paid to DM OW. Pool and classroom I'm paid a certain amount per student, OW dives I'm paid a fixed rate. We generally go out of town for OW dives so it's done over a full weekend. The shop pays for my campsite and covers my insurance (and nice staff discounts). A complete course I can make $250-$300, depending on how many are in the P/C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom