Where shall i start a diving career as a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP, Here are Torpedo Rays Scuba stats:
(all figures in Canadian Dollars- Can.$ right now = 80 cents U.S., so of course it translates to 4/5 of this in $US)
--OW Course: $419.99 Includes materials. Students must supply m/f/s, the rest is shop provided.
--# of students: varies from maybe 4 to 14 or more. If large numbers a 2nd DM may be used.
--Instructor pay: $75 per student I believe. Recently the larger classes have been split into 2, meaning each of the 2 instructors may not make
more than $150 more than the DM.
--DM duties OW Course: I would assume the usual--helping students with skills, supervising, assisting instructor or buddy skills and possibly demonstrating some to class. The usual logistics-tank hauling (often students help out), ocean duties like setting the training float, shore duty, the usual. Loading
/unloading dive truck with the usual stuff needed. General supervising in pool & ocean.
--Hours, etc. I only do the weekend course which I believe is standard. 1 weekend class (or e learning review, etc.) with instructor + all pool work. We can sit in on the academics but don't have to and don't usually. Next weekend ocean checkout dives. I guess that means 4 eight hour days, depending on what you include as "work" time (driving to OW site, lunch, etc.)
There is also a few OW course that are 3 weeks of 2 nights each (pool, classroom--not e learning). This is what I took 10 years ago. I figure DM pay works out to minimum wage in Canada or a little under.
--other courses DM pay:
AOW -$150 (DM not usually needed)
Rescue- $150.
DSD, Scuba review- something like $20 first student (or first 2?), $5 for additional students.
Charters (I don't do these): $5 for every diver on board.

The only thing worth it financially for me is OW course (due to my being 50 mls. from the shop and another 25 to ocean sites used). OW course run pretty much every weekend starting last week in Feb. Ending 1st weekend in Dec. Prior to this year the first ocean checkout dives were 1st week in April. I couldn't believe they start this year for the first time with March ocean dives. Even in April the ocean here is not much warmer than the low in Jan.

History: The highest DM on seniority list told me that years ago pay was $100 for OW and many DMs quit. The pay was raised to $200. About 3-5 years ago (when I started) it was again raised to $300.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 01:05 AM ----------

RJP, Here are Torpedo Rays Scuba stats:
(all figures in Canadian Dollars- Can.$ right now = 80 cents U.S., so of course it translates to 4/5 of this in $US)
--OW Course: $419.99 Includes materials. Students must supply m/f/s, the rest is shop provided.
--# of students: varies from maybe 4 to 14 or more. If large numbers a 2nd DM may be used.
--Instructor pay: $75 per student I believe. Recently the larger classes have been split into 2, meaning each of the 2 instructors may not make
more than $150 more than the DM.
--DM duties OW Course: I would assume the usual--helping students with skills, supervising, assisting instructor or buddy skills and possibly demonstrating some to class. The usual logistics-tank hauling (often students help out), ocean duties like setting the training float, shore duty, the usual. Loading
/unloading dive truck with the usual stuff needed. General supervising in pool & ocean.
--Hours, etc. I only do the weekend course which I believe is standard. 1 weekend class (or e learning review, etc.) with instructor + all pool work. We can sit in on the academics but don't have to and don't usually. Next weekend ocean checkout dives. I guess that means 4 eight hour days, depending on what you include as "work" time (driving to OW site, lunch, etc.)
There is also a few OW course that are 3 weeks of 2 nights each (pool, classroom--not e learning). This is what I took 10 years ago. I figure DM pay works out to minimum wage in Canada or a little under.
--other courses DM pay:
AOW -$150 (DM not usually needed)
Rescue- $150.
DSD, Scuba review- something like $20 first student (or first 2?), $5 for additional students.
Charters (I don't do these): $5 for every diver on board.

The only thing worth it financially for me is OW course (due to my being 50 mls. from the shop and another 25 to ocean sites used). OW course run pretty much every weekend starting last week in Feb. Ending 1st weekend in Dec. Prior to this year the first ocean checkout dives were 1st week in April. I couldn't believe they start this year for the first time with March ocean dives. Even in April the ocean here is not much warmer than the low in Jan.

History: The highest DM on seniority list told me that years ago pay was $100 for OW and many DMs quit. The pay was raised to $200. About 3-5 years ago (when I started) it was again raised to $300.

I can't talk about other shops in Canada, as ours is the only PADI shop for probably a hundred miles or more in the Maritimes (also the only real "large" shop offering just about everything). At present I think we have 20 instructors and 7-8 DMs (some of each are not as active as others). I am familiar with a few in the U.S. and none that I know of pay DMs, though one in FL does pay the DM to do charters (plus tips of course)--yet that same shop doesn't pay for assisting with courses.

Didn't mean to reply to my own post-- hit wrong button.

Reactions: RJP
Bet you a nickle they weren't even OW certified.

;D
Could be. I was a fairly new diver. However I was there with the lead instructor for my LDS (whose been diving for a long time) and he seemed perfectly comfortable with them. The one we were with all week certainly seemed to know what he was doing. IIRC, it was Cocoview if that helps.

How many hours do you work in a day to earn that £35 mate?

It depends on the students and course. I could be done by 3pm or we could be in the water until closing, then another hour+ packing everything away.

Thank's for the details. How much is an estimated minimum wage monthly for a divemaster let's say if i apply somewhere in canada? Or if you can specify in an hour i can probably understand it better.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 04:57 AM ----------

I can afford to approach padi instructor cert as well but can you demonstrate the wage a padi instructor can make in an hour by figures?

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 04:59 AM ----------

Do they provide you with accommodation and other stuff in Bristol?

Thank's for the details. How much is an estimated minimum wage monthly for a divemaster let's say if i apply somewhere in canada? Or if you can specify in an hour i can probably understand it better.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 04:57 AM ----------

I can afford to approach padi instructor cert as well but can you demonstrate the wage a padi instructor can make in an hour by figures?

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 04:59 AM ----------

Do they provide you with accommodation and other stuff in Bristol?

I get paid a daily rate of £35/day when I DM. It doesn't matter if I'm there for 5 hours or if I'm there from open until past closing. The rate of pay is the same. It is a part time, couple of days per month gig that in the summer pays for my sea diving and in the winter, puts a bit of extra cash in my bank account. It's not a full time job. There are very few, if any, full time PADI instructors/DMs in the UK. They either work in a dive shop and are one of their instructors/DMs as well, or they have a day job (I have a day job) and do it on the side for fun. It's not exactly a well paying gig. Even if I did DM full time, I would not make anything resembling enough to live on. I pay for my own accommodation, food, etc, and while Bristol is cheaper than London, it is still a major city and not that cheap.

Our wage in Nova Scotia is similar in that you get paid to do the course--doesn't matter if the days on this course are longer than on that one. As well, I don't believe any of our instructors have scuba courses as their main job. I would imagine to make any kind of a living you would be looking at somewhere tropical where boats go out very often.

I propose not to use 'career' and 'as a divemaster' in a same sentence. In stead, call it a hobby? That is, you "pay" for joy to be there?

I propose not to use 'career' and 'as a divemaster' in a same sentence. In stead, call it a hobby? That is, you "pay" for joy to be there?
You "pay" for the course, and your (PADI?, whatever) membership and insurance yearly. I do obviously agree that "divemaster" and "career" are not related. Not sure what "pay" for the joy to be there means. Some DMs actually pay? Perhaps by "pay" you mean the cost of the course? I don't count that. You pay to get a college degree too.
Hobby though, no. Well it shouldn't be because a "pro" should get paid. You don't get paid for hobbies. Figure this: You lay out anywhere from $500-to whatever to take the DM course. Now you are in a situation where you can be responsible for someone's life/safety. And you (I) get MAYBE minimum wage.
Compare to getting a minimum wage job flipping burgers. No $ outlay, way less training than for DM, AND you probably get paid WHILE in training (I don't know that for sure). Yet, many DMs work for free. Try to figure it. The only way I can understand someone doing this for free is if they are promised some paid work from the same shop if and when they get their Instructor. If that's the case, then that DM should not be referred to as a "pro".

I'm just starting my DM program. I have more of a 10-year plan where I'd start an early, active retirement. So how do I differentiate myself from other applicants? How do I provide as much value as possible? My 10 year goal is to become a master scuba trainer and also to be able to teach some tec (haven't baked that portion of the plan). Being able to fix compressors is part of the plan. Have you thought about mechanic school to be able to work on boat engines? Getting a captain's license is pretty time consuming from my understanding, but very valuable. Not sure if that is out of my reach or not with all the other things I'd like to be able to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom