Where shall i start a diving career as a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pursuing a padi divemaster certificate in the philippines. I wonder which country or region would be best to apply for a part time or full time job. How much would you estimate a divemaster can earn beside enjoying it.

any advices useful for a new divemaster would be appreciated.

thank you!

Malapascua Island in Cebu region would be a good start. Would also be familiar conditions to where you are.
I wouldn't diverge to an area where conditions are vastly different. You're not going to be much help in coldwater if you weren't trained for that. Or drift dives if you aren't familiar, etc etc.

Keep things consistent so you can improve on your skill rather than start over and have to re-learn new things.

On Malapascua, the Thresher Research & Conservation Project is stationed there and you could possibly get some fun shark observation experience while trying out "tech" gear and getting some non-cert GUE training. Good way to improve your buoyancy and get experience in different styles of diving. Might be able to work out a deal once you get good guide experience there, otherwise it's pretty pricey to volunteer for their operation.

Last I heard, they work directly with Dive Link Cebu on the island.

You won't earn much where ever you are. I can tell you the local side of the island is very friendly though and the few local side eateries are cheap. Finding them is a different story.

As a DM you are pretty much worthless to an op. Most DM's that actually are working are instructors. Even they don't make much. Unless they are also able to service regs, fix compressors, have a captains license, can do Web design, or know how to tend bar. A dm is actually supposed to help instructors teach classes. Most of them are expected to do it for "the love of diving" or other nonsense that allows them to be paid squat. And many devalue and degrade the rating by doing just that. If you want to make money forget about doing it as a DM. Go on to instructor, get a few years teaching experience, then maybe you can look for a diving job that will pay you a wage you can survive on alone. Most will require you to supplement your income in some other way.
I hope the place you are doing your dm with didn't mislead you into thinking a DM could get a job and live on what you'd make from it. If they did why aren't they hiring you and not making you pay for your training.

I make £35/day DMing in the UK at an inland site (couple of days/month). It's one of the higher paid ops/shops. It's also one of the only paying ones. It has quite a few perks, and gives me a bit of extra money towards my fun diving. Even if I did it full time, I wouldn't make enough to live off of.

Hi,

I'm pursuing a padi divemaster certificate in the philippines. I wonder which country or region would be best to apply for a part time or full time job. How much would you estimate a divemaster can earn beside enjoying it.

any advices useful for a new divemaster would be appreciated.

thank you!

As has been less-than-gingerly stated above, the value of a DM to a dive operation in most locations is fairly limited in that most ops would rather have someone who is an instructor fulfill any DM role. The flexibility that having an instructor - who can do anything a DM can - is important to any employer with a limited number of spots available.

Perhaps you can stay on where you are to complete your instructor course? Otherwise, perhaps target an area where you can get some experience as a DM while doing your Instructor course there. I would not expect to earn much more than a few dollars in tips per day.

Here's an online job site where you'll see the relative demand for a DM vs Instructor is fairly low:

DiveNewswire WORKS: Search Results

Outside the US might be different. IIRC, in Roatan Honduras the DMs were Hondurans who had worked there for years and consider it a pretty good job.

But in the US I've seen big dive operations where every single person working there, from the bench techs, to the boat captains to the people working the cash registers in the store, are PADI instructors. Many of whom had multiple years of experience as instructors.

As a DM you are pretty much worthless to an op. Most DM's that actually are working are instructors. Even they don't make much. Unless they are also able to service regs, fix compressors, have a captains license, can do Web design, or know how to tend bar. A dm is actually supposed to help instructors teach classes. Most of them are expected to do it for "the love of diving" or other nonsense that allows them to be paid squat. And many devalue and degrade the rating by doing just that. If you want to make money forget about doing it as a DM. Go on to instructor, get a few years teaching experience, then maybe you can look for a diving job that will pay you a wage you can survive on alone. Most will require you to supplement your income in some other way.
I hope the place you are doing your dm with didn't mislead you into thinking a DM could get a job and live on what you'd make from it. If they did why aren't they hiring you and not making you pay for your training.

Says it all from what I've read on SB and experienced in the U.S. I've read that some instructors can make a decent living as Jim says--if they're busy doing other stuff as well--retail, etc.. We get $300Can. & perks for an OW course. I can cover my membership, insurance and gas with that with some left over, depending on how much I work. These figures are nothing to live on! Obviously I have no knowledge of abroad, but have experienced here that shops tend to hire those they trained. You may also check posts in the Going Pro sub forum.

Outside the US might be different. IIRC, in Roatan Honduras the DMs were Hondurans who had worked there for years and consider it a pretty good job.

Are they actually DM's or "dive guides"?

We get $300Can. & perks for an OW course.

I'm always stunned when you post this, seeing as $300 can be more than many shops charge for the course itself.

You always say "we" but as near as I can tell you're the only DM in Canada (if not the world) that gets paid anything to DM an OW class... much less $300.

Not doubting you; just surprised.

How many students in typical course? What are the typical DM duties that you're getting $300 for? How many days/hours? How much does shop charge for instruction (ie net of materials) for an OW class? Any idea how much the instructor gets? I'd love to understand the finances on this.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 08:23 PM ----------

it was a long time ago, I'm not sure. they were the dive guides.

Bet you a nickle they weren't even OW certified.

;D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom