Where on BCD to carry extra knife, rolled safety sausage, mirror etc ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and speaking of pockets, if you have a wetsuit, and your BC has pockets the size of a postage stamp (mine) you can get these glue on pockets for your wetsuit from Phill at DiveSports for a great price ... Xs Scuba Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket - Glue On Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket I just got two cause I have drysuit pocket envy :)

storm whistle - upper D-ring
knife - grommeted to BC pocket flap
SMB - lower D-ring
shears - tucked inside front of BC and secured with zip ties
mirror - cummerbund pocket

I also have a DiveAlert. I don't carry a reel as I have not practiced deployment of the SMB at depth yet - would only use it at the surface for now.

Dive Alert:
dive_alert_signalhorn_1_th.jpg

I blew mine with my head not ducked down in the water ONCE!

Storm Whistle:
whistle.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep, in case you don't have air for the other this is the best for self blow. Test yours and see. :wink:

You guys are great!!
Thanks

Is there any other safety equipment that anybody else carries that is not listed so far?

Haha, you can always add more to the point of looking like a dive store. I wear a snorkel vest partly inflated on smaller boats, but no one else does.

Insight as to why Don? They are required to carry PFD's on small boats too. Just curious, seems like a partially inflated snorkel vest is a little overboard (Pun intended!).

Yeah, unless you fall off or the boat capsizes. It happens. I don't on larger boats, but do on smaller ones. After some of the sinkings this month, I may expand that. It's no trouble, just looks funny when I am the only one.

Is there any other safety equipment that anybody else carries that is not listed so far?

Along with all of the above, I also carry this streamer. I really do want to come home. Check out the website. Pretty impressive when you see the possibilities of being seen with versus without it. The holster is easy to attach either to your BC belt, or I currently have it rigged to one of my shoulder side straps with some D-rings from home depot.

BTW, don't be intimidated by the >$1000 cost on the home page. That is for the military version of their products. The recreational version is only about $35 or so.

RescueStreamer® - Water Safety Emergency Distress Signaling Device

Attachments

• prod-survivor.jpg
    prod-survivor.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 178
Don, D_B and others provider some good suggestions, including the really important point - safety gear left in your dive bag - on the boat, shore, etc. - isn't safety gear. Several thoughts: 1. A safety sausage can be easily bungeed to the side of the BC (vertically), as illustrated, OR at the bottom of the BC in the back (horizontally). I put mine in a sleeve (e.g. DR lift bag sleeve), having had my sausage slip out of bungees before, or come 'unraveled', and I attach the sleeve to my rig with pear clips or quick links, or at least attach the sleeve to one of the bungees that way. Having a small safety spool along with you is a good idea, BTW. 2. As Don mentioned your choice of cutting tools may evolve. I started with a leg-strapped knife, now carry Sea Snips (which I initially thought were the height of geekiness but now find safer and easier to use). My back-up now is a Buck Metro Whittaker, with a very small, but very sharp, folding SS blade. 3. For ocean diving, the Dive Alert is a very nice feature and worth the investment. 4. Irrespective of what particular style of safety equipement you carry, make sure the items are somehow attached to you, not just loose in a pocket (where a partially open zipper can leave you without it). You might consider sewing / attaching several nylon loops inside (and at the bottom of) the pockets on your BC, to which you can clip (with SS double-ender clips) items that you put in those pockets. Yes, it may take a little longer (seconds) to get to them, but that is trivial. I have attached either a SS split ring or small swivel bolt snap to virtually everything (BU lights, cutting tools, etc), so I can clip the items to loops inside my pockets - easy to unclip when needed, and unlikely to disappear during a dive, or when I pull something else out of the pocket). And, although velcro is less secure than clips, you can even adhere some velcro to the back of a mirror, or a mirror pouch, and attach it to you with velcro put on your BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom