Where on BCD to carry extra knife, rolled safety sausage, mirror etc ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought (after reading some posts on Scuba Board regarding safety equip. to carry) a secondary knife (I have one on my calf), rolled safety sausage and a mirror. This sounds like a stupid question but I would really like to know some opinions on where divers carry equip. like this...
Should I just stick in a zipped pocket of BCD (I have a Mares Vector 1000 MRS that does have 2 large zipper pockets) or attach to outside of BCD. The safety sausage is rolled and does have a clip; the small secondary knife (about 6 inches) is in a plastic sheath with a slot on the back that looks like I could put it on a strap of 3" or less; the mirror is in a small velcro case that does have a loop on the back of it. Also, should I get a reel for the safety sausage?
I can see that I would not need this equipment until an emergency so maybe it is better to put in a BCD pocket until needed. I have, however, seen divers with a safety sausage/reel attached to outside bottom ring of BCD and knifes on outside of BCD.
Any advise would be helpful.

Somewhere for sure. I carry a tiny knife I've never used attached to my BC where I can get to it easily if I ever get tangled in fishing line on a wreck or something. You'll tire of carrying the big one on your leg, I think. I have one I should Ebay, too. :D Mine is a permanent fixture on my BC so it'll be there just in case; just take it out to sharpen it some between trips.

The sausage could well be carried in your pocket, as long as you don't fumble and lose it when you need it. Mine has been clipped to an upper D-ring where I can inflate it without removing for years, but I have removed it to attach to my reel for practice. I don't actually use the reel out diving, even on free ascents, but probly should.

My mirror is hung from my neck inside my suit,and I always wear at least a long jumpsuit skin even in warm water.
> My Dive Alert whistle is always on my Reg;
> My storm whistle always on my upper D-ring next to my sausage so I can blow it without removing it in the dark if needed,
> My dive lights are always in side pockets even on day dives;
> My folding snorkel and extra mask always in a pocket.
What's the point of having safety gear in your dive bag? I have known divers get caught in such a situation. :( Many divers don't bother, but that's them; I am.

Much of this will depend on your BC, but do find ways to carry all, always, always ready and functional. :wink:

Putting things in pockets is usually better when possible, provided they are readily accessible. The more things that dangle on the outside, the less streamlined you will be, and this will cause drag, which expends more energy and increases air consumption.

If you can't put items in pockets, at least store them out of the way of the "slip stream" to decrease drag. This means as near to your back as possible, underneath your BC, or in hip pockets, etc. Wearing large knives on the leg is more of a thing of the past. I actually got slightly tangled up in a single piece of monofilament fishing line one time when my dive knife was mounted on my leg, and the handle and sheath snagged the fishing line. It was no big deal to cut the line once I got my knife out of the sheath, but it taught me a lesson.

Let's see...

Small dive knife.. if there is not attachment option on the BC, you could zip tie it to your power inflator hose or your octo. I actually have one zip-tied to my octopus and another one attached to the BC (Seaquest Balance).

Sausage.. I prefer to carry mine clipped at the bottom D-ring. If you have an option to clip it inside of your pocket, that would be ideal. I am very weary of putting anything loose in my pockets - I almost lost a secondary light recently cuz the light was not latched down.. Fortunately I was descending and saw it fall out.. I just followed it down to the bottom and grabbed it just before it hit bottom. I am right handed and clip mine to the bottom left D-ring. Out of the way, but I know where it is.

Mirror.. I double zip-tied mine to my pocket zipper. I can use a knife to cut the second zip tie and it will be easily picked up for use, or I can leave it there and just lean on my back and angle the sun. It sounds like yours has attachment points. If so, putting it somewhere near your head may be good - eg attaching to an upper D ring.

Not sure if you have one, but a whistle is good too. I have mine clipped with a ring around my right upper BC shoulder clip. All I have to do is turn my head and I have instant contact with the whistle.

Hope that helps, and kudos to you for taking safety seriously.

I carry my Storm Whistle and Signal mirror in one pocket, small Mini Q40 back up light in the other, a small BC knife attached to inflater hose, and I made a mount to carry a safety sausage bungied to the side like I've seen on some back plate/wings ...

Also don't overlook the trim weight pockets you sometimes find on the back of BC's, mine are unused and I carry a small water tight OutterBox in one pocket for my keys and stuff .. granted that you would have to remove BC to get at it, or have someone else retrieve things stored there .. but dont overlook it, I'm thinking of carrying a Eme strobe light in the other

I do have a whistle attached to upper BC shoulder clip. What about a reel for the safety sausage? Mine came with a clip to attach to BC but no string or reel. I would think that I need at least a string if not a reel???

Since I use a backplate and wing ..what I need is in pockets. Spare mask, secondary cutting tool, finger spool( depends on dive). Slate, a mirror( depends on dive). Other things I carry. two lights which are neatly tucked under each arm attached to my harness and D-Ring, my saftey marker( sausage) in my backplate pocketneatly folded with a finger spool attached ready for deployment. Primary cutting tool on my waist band just behind the buckle to the left. If I need a big reel it is then clipped off behind my back on my crotch strap D ring.

However to each his own and comfort...

What is the difference in a dive alert whistle vs a storm whistle? I really appreciate everyone's help..

What is the difference in a dive alert whistle vs a storm whistle? I really appreciate everyone's help..

storm whistle you blow mannually like a referee whistle, in your mouth.

Dive Alert Whistle is powered off the power-inflator hose on your regulator. It's much much louder. Think of it as a loud air horn like you hear people blow at ballgames....

But a Dive Alert requires you have air in your tank. So having one you can blow through your mouth is good for a backup.

Dive Alert:
dive_alert_signalhorn_1_th.jpg

Storm Whistle:
whistle.jpg

Back
Top Bottom