Where O' where to eat???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second the Sonora Grill, nice place & nice folks. Also recommend La Lobsteria (told to me by a resident - always listen to the townies) at the corner of Ave. 5 and Calle 7, roughly behind the Punta Langosta Mall. Definitely second the vote for Pepe's Grill, right on the waterfront (the whole of which seems to get the cruise-shipper-area rap, but I know only of Pepe's and I HIGHLY recommend it. Like shrimp? Have the brochettes, REALLY.

Have a good time!

Especia's! Corner of Av. 10 and Calle 5

Shrimp Sambal and the Cilantro fish or chicken are my favorites!

Adrian is a great host and the food is consistently wonderful at very reasonable prices!

Casa Denis fans, Adrian is the grandson of Casa Denis, so he has been around the restaurant biz all his life :)

Manati is another "sleeper" restaurant. Corner of Ave. 10 and Calle 8. Try the Mango Chicken!

some of our fav's are: the museum for breakfast, (on a day off of diving), ernesto's fajita factory, anytime; Casa Denis, snapper specialties; El Capt. Navagante (sp?), grouper specialties, La Mission, mexican dishes; Prima's, northern italian, don't be a tourist and get spaghetti, the red suaces aren't as good as their other selections, try the fresh fish specials or the seafood lasagna, the also have very good pizza for a more casual night.
just a few... so much good food, so little time!

rje634:
Any recommendations of where to eat in Coz is appreciated.
Come on you die hard Cozoholics I know that you have the info on the good places. Love to hear about your favorites also if you care to mention the places to stay away from at all costs that too might come in handy... Hate to miss any dives from some bad enchiladas!!!
We are staying at the Fiesta Americana and aren't on an AI if that matters in any way...

The best new addition to my short list is La Perlita, which is over near El Moro. The seafood there is superb and the prices are good.

Some other faves of mine:
El Moro
Los Moros del Morrito (El Moro spinoff, and different)
El Capi Navigante
Santiago's
Sonora
La Choza
Pancho's Backyard
Los Gavillanes (spelled wrong I am sure - it's a couple of doors toward the water from Sonora, hawk or eagle on their sign)
Casa Denis (of course)

If you try to go to a restaurant that happens to be closed, the cab driver will very likely try to steer you to Casa Mission. I'd advise against it. It's the "upscale" member of the La Mission family; the building and grounds are very nice, but the food is nothing special and the prices are double what the same meal would cost most other places. Caveat emptor.

Cheers,

I must comment on one of the perennial favorites on this board, La Choza. My wife and I ate there in July. Neither of us cared for it at all. We thought the place looked generally dirty and the food was mediocre at best. We also thought the service was less attentive than anywhere else we ate in Coz. For sure it was our least favorite place. The only thing we liked about it was watching the interesting local traffic and commerce at the busy corner on which La Choza sits. But for dining? Bleah!

We very much liked La Veranda. About 2 blocks from the main plaza. Superb food and service. The place was spotless, including the kitchen, which I got to see. Prices a couple of bucks higher than La Choza, but still very reasonable. Sit inside or in the large, quiet courtyard. On the way out, the owner introduced herself and asked for our comments.

We also had an excellent meal at one of the places in the main plaza that has what I call carnival barkers that shout at the cruise tourists to get them to come in. It was called Los Dorados de Villa. They had a huge varied menu, so we gave it a try. Once we were seated (outside on the sidewalk), the service was excellent and the food was too. Beer for $2.50! Bueno.

Even_Stephen:
I must comment on one of the perennial favorites on this board, La Choza... <he didn't like it>
DSFDF (different strokes for different folks). La Choza remains one of my favorites. It's not for everybody, obviously; it's more like the "old Cozumel", the way things were before they were prettied up for the tourists so much. It's rustic, not dirty, and nobody else makes the fish in mustard sauce like they do... Is it lunchtime yet?

Cheers,
Gordon

but I enjoyed the food at Carlos & Charlie's. (duck/cover)

Of course it was after 3 of those yard glasses of margaritas =)

I really enjoyed Casa Denis, ate there 3 times in a week, had the Mayan Pork all 3 times. La Choza was very good as well. I also loved going to the little popsicle/ice cream shops that are spread around town. We stopped at one every day that we were in town, sometimes twice in a day to enjoy their cold treats on a hot day. One tip, stay away from the Mango and Red Chile popsicle, not a great combo :nonono:

Mel

(then known as Chuck and Chuck's, as opposed to the name it has currently earned, "Chuck and Upchuck's"), really had some excellent food. When I first discovered Cozumel in 1989, the Cozumel C & C's had a menu identical to the original C & C's in Acapulco, where I had become addicted to, among other things, "Crawdaddy Soup", a delicious, but blistering concoction featuring a whole large crawfish swimming in a hot, somewhat oily broth much like one finds in pozole rojo and menudo. The red dots floating in the soup were the culinary equivalent of napalm. The menu then was four pages of great humor and variety, and the food was reasonable and splendid in quality. I remember they had a whole page of "moo, oink & peep" barbecue combos that were excellent and a Mexican version of chicken curry,

Now, however, it's pretty much a mediocre "bar & grill" menu in the midst of an underage swillatorium.

And the old guy quit *****ing and went to sleep at the console . . .

<')///><

Thank you all for all the great recommendations.
So many good places so little time.. I may have to stay longer just to try them all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom