Where is the Search On SB??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I avoided computers for a few years, and I don't think I've met anyone as untrained and inexperienced yet as I was when I first joined SB, I have met a few who seem close. :D

Anyway, as one non-trained, non-pro computer fumbler perhaps to another, I thought I'd share these details on :search:

Running a Search is an often suggested and admirable idea, but sometime I wonder if some of our new members are so overwhelmed by the lay out here that they might miss it. I know this has been brought up before on this forum - a lot - because I clicked the "Has this been asked before?" button when I first opened this box, but I wonder if pics could help...??

The view may vary a litte depending on which "Forum Skin that may be selected, but generally it's at the top on the blue bar, like this...]
1.JPG
[/CENTER

Looking closer - there it is...
4.JPG

If one wants to search the entire ScubaBoard forum galaxy, just type in the key word and click Go. If a more focused search is desired, one can click the words Advanced Search....
5.JPG

But don't be intimidated by the next pic. It's just options....
3.JPG

And after inserting a key word, then select a particular Forum to search. There are other options there, but that's enough for a test drive.

I've heard than running searches uses a lot of bandwidth, but it's okay - we got the power. Give it some gas, see what'll do. :wink:

There is a lot more to the Search function, of course - hehe, run a search on this fourm and see, but I do want to add....

If you wish, you can go to the focus forum and search it from the Threads In Forum bar....

6.JPG

Hey Don - nice writeup - how come the search doesn't work for 3 character or less words? ie DIR DPV CCR OTA DUI there's so many of them on here...

regards,

Rob

This is an universal problem in V-boards, I think. Use *DIR

Click the down arrow by "Scubaboard" on the blue bar above to access FAQuestions, with more Search Help as well as TOS - The Rules!!

Search_Pic.JPG

robzr:
Hey Don - nice writeup - how come the search doesn't work for 3 character or less words? ie DIR DPV CCR OTA DUI there's so many of them on here...

regards,

Rob
Easy, even the All-Powerful ScubaBoard Search has its limitations...

DandyDon:
This is an universal problem in V-boards, I think. Use *DIR

Click the down arrow by "Scubaboard" on the blue bar above to access FAQuestions, with more Search Help as well as TOS - The Rules!!

3-char searches work on TheDecoStop, which is also vBulletin...looks like they cut it off at 2 letters; I figured it was a system setting... if so, 3 char searches would come in handy a lot! Other than that, carry on the good work, SB admins! :) It's a great site...

Rob

Just bracket the three letters in asterisks: *ABC* works. As does *ABC or ABC*.

Sometimes the single asterisk returns better results...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom