Where is the line...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl3: If you really think that is the issue, then you missed the point. :shakehead:
The lack of notification is one of the issue's that you've been posting about. The reasons for the removal has already been posted and reposted.
That was the most capricious, heavy-handed knee-jerk reaction I've seen on this board since a couple of other so-inclined mods resigned. Furthermore, the reason given does nothing but hide behind a ToS statement that really may be summed up as, "We felt like it."
You're entitled to your opinion. You might also note that quite a few users thanked the Mod Post about the removal of the picture so not everyone shares your opinion.
As some may refer to it, the 'days of the Dutch Inquisition' seem to have returned.

Since you brought it up, I'd love to hear your experiences on "Dutch Inquisition" and your thoughts on the parallels in this situation.

Show is over...Nothing to see here folks...move along, move along.

All this over a picture of a few lobsters!!!:confused::shakehead:

If you live and hunt in Florida the situation would be much more clear. The user who posted the lobster picture did so clearly knowing he violated established protocol in place for quite some time. He acknowledged that other more hunting specific forums such as Spearboard have very strict rules allowing only posts w/pictures of catch accompanied by the necessary number of people as not to suggest that the daily limit by hunters could very well have been exceeded. Once again, to violate this protocols suggests non-compliance creating a whole host of headaches for sportsmen and commercial fisherman/divers.

An apparent investigation by FWC clearly illustrates this point. How many posts by the moderators must it take to make this point clear? I am not sure why this has been pressed so strenuously by a few non-residents. The dog days of summer are upon us I guess...

Last edited:
Dutch Inquisition, Smutch Inquisition.... Unless you are referring to Geert Wilder, I think you mean the Spanish Inquisition, maybe? Oh Hell, that still makes no sense in the context of this hissy fit.

Friends...

a Modpost can replace an individual PM to multiple parties. The Key word is "notified" in the ToS.

Mods can and will inadvertently omit a notification due to life happening. If I am working on a minor issue and a much bigger issue grabs my attention, then odds are I will miss posting or PMing about the minor issue. We are all human and when the sig other says you will be getting off of the PC "NOW!", then that's gonna happen as well. :D

Again, not every decision will go your (or my) way. You may not even have all of the information needed to understand the mods' decisions. You can be sure that when a mod really messes up, they are taken to task by the other mods. I can assure you that Cave Diver had no input into this decision, and yet here he is defending his comrades. Why? He saw the discussion about the decision and knows that being heavy handed was not the intent of the action. If we feel that a moderator is using less than best judgement about a person or area, we do ask them to recuse themselves and if they can't do that, we will remove them. The issue we had with stalking of a user (referred to as the Dutch Inquisition) had little to do with the nationality of the mod and being quarter Dutch: I find it kind of offensive. If you have a real issue with a Mod, please send the particulars to abuse@scubaboard.com and let me know the particulars.

The user who posted the lobster picture did so clearly knowing he violated established protocol in place for quite some time.

Val, can you point out where those establish protocols are listed her on SB? It would be good for future use if this type incident comes up again.

I ask because I've never seen them listed here. (Pete, if they aren't listed here, might not be a bad idea to add it to the rules).

I've read the policy on Spearboard and understand why they have it in place. But just have never seen such a written "established protocol" here.

Val, can you point out where those establish protocols are listed her on SB? It would be good for future use if this type incident comes up again.

I ask because I've never seen them listed here. (Pete, if they aren't listed here, might not be a bad idea to add it to the rules).

I've read the policy on Spearboard and understand why they have it in place. But just have never seen such a written "established protocol" here.

Yep, that was my original point in the original thread, too. There was nothing about the photo that "explicitly" violated the ToS. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Yep, that was my original point in the original thread, too. There was nothing about the photo that violated the ToS. :popcorn:

C'mon Jax - put an "explicitly" in there or something. Cave Diver already quoted the "catch-all" phrase of "deemed in the best interest of ScubaBoard." I know you find it broad, but it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom