Where is the best place to buy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal:
Well I made my purchase today. I bought it from a professional photographer in San Diego. He had it up on eBay with a bunch of accessories and it didn't meet the reserve so I was able to talk with him and work the negotiation to a price that both he and I could agree on.

The treasures on eBay lie in the side deals. Good job!

K

I bought mine today on e-bay. Yea. I am so excited. I called around quite a bit as I am in Canada and the prices here were quite a bit higher. I decided to bid on e-bay, athough a reconditioned one, I felt safer going that route because Olympus was the seller. Their shipping costs are substantially less than most other sellers. Now I am going to look for the housing.
Also, I'm considering the extended warranty on the camera. . Does anyone have any advice on that?? thanks, deb

If you buy on eBay, be careful to check feedback of the seller. There are several shady operators, usually in Brooklyn, NY, with notably bad performance. Read the feedback ratings, noting the negatives. Many of them have a reputation for slow delivery (typically 30 days, even though they charge you the same day). If they have less than a 99% rating, or if they seem to retaliate for negative feedback by giving it, it's usually not a good bargain.

I got burned by one of these guys about 4 years ago, they added a $400 warranty to my purchase without my knowledge or approval, and I was stuck because I paid with a bank check card, not a credit card. The major credit cards will go to bat for you, issue a credit and go after the dealer, so be sure to use a major credit card if possible.

Recently I bought a used 5050 from a private party on eBay from a seller with a 100% positive feedback rating. No worries.

diverdeb001:
Also, I'm considering the extended warranty on the camera. . Does anyone have any advice on that?? thanks, deb

There are a few ways to buy an ESP on a cam purchased off of eBay.

1) Did you buy with PayPal? PayPal offers a guarantee of satisfaction on qualifying purchases.

2) eBay offers ESP's on qualifying items now. Its administered by our friends at NEW (www.newcorp.com) These guys are legit, and their eBay program is solid.

3) The Olympus eBay store auctions off ESPs - they have a self-insured, program and they auction off their own ESPs. Just go to your Camera auction, and select "view sellers other auctions"... you'll see them, if they're up.

4) MACK - probably the largest independent Camera ESP in the country. www.mackcam.com

As with all legit ESP programs, you need to purchase them either with the cam, close to the purchase of the cam, or within the manufacturer's warranty. As this is a refurb, the MACK warranty may not apply. Read the fine print... it might apply because the camera comes with a manufacturer's warranty (albeit, an abbreviated 90 day one... but its still a mfg warranty.)

Make sure the warranty is valid in Canada.

ESP's are a great deal on Digital Cameras... however, if you're going to be diving with it, the cam won't be covered for flood damage - only above water defects. You may want to forego the ESP plan and just roll with H20 or DEPP insurance. The cam is only about $450 to replace... an ESP that doesn't even cover the most devestating thing that can happen (a flood) for such an affordable camera seems like a waste. Your call, tho. But for my money, it seems silly to get an ESP AND flood insurance (and flood insurance is a must.)

Think about it.

K

I began with an MX 10 Sea & Sea. Now upgrading to digital. Friends have Sony P10. THey like the small size. I am reading about that camera, the 5050, and maybe others. In your unbiased opinion (!?!?), is the Oly the best mid-range U/W camera for an ameteur? I will not be making my living on the photos I take, and don' t want to drag around something that can double as an oil rig, but want great quality photos of the things I see.
Thanks

Mo2vation:
There are a few ways to buy an ESP on a cam purchased off of eBay.

1) Did you buy with PayPal? PayPal offers a guarantee of satisfaction on qualifying purchases.

2) eBay offers ESP's on qualifying items now. Its administered by our friends at NEW (www.newcorp.com) These guys are legit, and their eBay program is solid.

3) The Olympus eBay store auctions off ESPs - they have a self-insured, program and they auction off their own ESPs. Just go to your Camera auction, and select "view sellers other auctions"... you'll see them, if they're up.

4) MACK - probably the largest independent Camera ESP in the country. www.mackcam.com

As with all legit ESP programs, you need to purchase them either with the cam, close to the purchase of the cam, or within the manufacturer's warranty. As this is a refurb, the MACK warranty may not apply. Read the fine print... it might apply because the camera comes with a manufacturer's warranty (albeit, an abbreviated 90 day one... but its still a mfg warranty.)

Make sure the warranty is valid in Canada.

ESP's are a great deal on Digital Cameras... however, if you're going to be diving with it, the cam won't be covered for flood damage - only above water defects. You may want to forego the ESP plan and just roll with H20 or DEPP insurance. The cam is only about $450 to replace... an ESP that doesn't even cover the most devestating thing that can happen (a flood) for such an affordable camera seems like a waste. Your call, tho. But for my money, it seems silly to get an ESP AND flood insurance (and flood insurance is a must.)

Think about it.

K

divemed:
I began with an MX 10 Sea & Sea. Now upgrading to digital. Friends have Sony P10. THey like the small size. I am reading about that camera, the 5050, and maybe others. In your unbiased opinion (!?!?), is the Oly the best mid-range U/W camera for an ameteur? I will not be making my living on the photos I take, and don' t want to drag around something that can double as an oil rig, but want great quality photos of the things I see.
Thanks
I think its a great camera for your use. Seeing that you've have some experience in UW photography, the learning curve will be greater for you making it easy for you to grow into the full capabilities of the 5050. As for picture quality, look at the wonderful pictures that DEE and others hav shot with theirs.

I am going to plug buydig.com here, i have two *yes two* C5050's, I am avid diver and I know I am going to flood this thing eventually, I will have insurance and a back, you can never be too care full. The second unit I got last week for $469 shipped from buydig, they are well spoken for, and I was never contacted, it shipped within two days and I got it 4 days later.

travis

PS, I keep a Sony P10 around for the heck of it *the size* and I have gotten some great photos with it too. The underwater housing works well too
www.winisp.net/crawford/canada/1.jpg
is from the p10 *large photo*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom