Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to go with Indo overall -

Raja/Banda Sea/Alor/Bangka/Ambon particularly. Komodo works for me because I love currents but it's overcrowded so I'm glad to see something being done about that. Tulumben is a freeway and needs something done and Nusa Penida is in line for being another overcrowded spot IMO. Glad also to see limits at Lembeh too.

Malaysia - Layang Layang, Sipidan, Mabul all have been enjoyable (agree with the Sipidan permits but as I'm not a photographer low season on Seaventures Rigs has given me good luck with Permits.

Thailand - Similans are overcrowded as is Richelieu becoming now, Burma Banks was great but all fished out now. Hin Dang and Hin Muang are a good option.

Philippines - a country I personally find "meh" topside and I've only done PG which was enjoyable but way too many divers so can't really comment for the whole country.

@WetPup I think Lembeh is getting much better with the crowds especially now that they have limited the amount of divers on a site at one time. Last 2 trips we never had another boat on a dive site. Tulumben, on the other hand is crowded and needs controls.

To the OP Indonesia has so much to offer. It is an amazingly diverse place! Can't go wrong!
Until the dive ops start fighting over who gets to dive what site cos x got there before y, and then the skippers are yelling abuse at each other because there’s a hairy frogfish at that site and *their* guests want to see it and stuff everyone else. Always a good time (especially when you understand what they’re saying to each other).

That was 18 months ago, and that policy was in place then. You know what happened? One dive boat pulled up at the end of one dive site. The other boat tied up at the dive site directly adjacent to it. And both boats with full groups basically ended up on top of each other. Because of a hairy frogfish. This was happening almost every day on different dive sites because people wanted to see certain critters. Was a cluster.

Thailand - Similans are overcrowded as is Richelieu becoming now, Burma Banks was great but all fished out now. Hin Dang and Hin Muang are a good option.
Agree, Similians are out of control... and I last dived there on a LOB in 2012, can't imagine what its like now!
Richelieu Rock had TWELVE other boats (day trippers and other liveaboards) around the site, and large groups of divers marauding around obliviously crunching coral and manhandling marine creatures for photo-ops.

Agreed - even in 2008 Similans was not a new destination, nor Richeleiu -Burma Banks was pretty inaccessible then so I broke the law and snuck in and it was good, very good. In 2010 I was shocked at how busy Sims had become, by 2013 I gave up on all but Richeleiu so the Sims were just a part of a trip and I recently asked someone about the now very accessible Burma Banks compared to pre 2010..."Don't bother, all the fish are gone". Used to be a big fish sharky spot worth diving. I don't think it will be long before the Hins go the same way sadly.

Until the dive ops start fighting over who gets to dive what site cos x got there before y, and then the skippers are yelling abuse at each other because there’s a hairy frogfish at that site and *their* guests want to see it and stuff everyone else. Always a good time (especially when you understand what they’re saying to each other).

That was 18 months ago, and that policy was in place then. You know what happened? One dive boat pulled up at the end of one dive site. The other boat tied up at the dive site directly adjacent to it. And both boats with full groups basically ended up on top of each other. Because of a hairy frogfish. This was happening almost every day on different dive sites because people wanted to see certain critters. Was a cluster.

Wow yuck... I have been there 3 times in the last 2 years (including one 3 week stay) and I never saw anything like that!

Wow yuck... I have been there 3 times in the last 2 years (including one 3 week stay) and I never saw anything like that!
Yeah, and to be honest, until that point, I'd never actually experienced anything like that either in the nearly 10 years I've been diving in Lembeh. It's totally put me off wanting to return. While other macro destinations may not be quite as "awesome", I've reached the point where I'm prepared to accept marginally less epic diving in order to avoid the crowds.

I was there late last March. There were dozens of divers from at least a handful of different boats diving at the pump. Didn't see any crew arguing with each other but was crowded. Most of the other sites weren't too bad. One day, we were offered to up island for more conventional diving. My buddy chose to stay with the muck and I went up island for 3 tanks. Had a blast, it was a great day! No other boats, that was for sure.

Hello all. I'm an instructor, and I'm thinking about relocating to the Asia. I've read all the magazines, websites, top-10 lists, etc. But I was hoping to get some first-hand opinions from some well-traveled divers here..

I'm most interested in big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs, etc.) and healthy coral reefs.

So.. with that being said.. Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Most people'll tell you Raja Ampat/Komodo, Tubbataha Reef, The Similans or The Maldives.. but what do you guys think?

Thank you very, very, very much in advance for any insights! I really, really do appreciate them!

My diving experiences there are limited to Indonesia (Alor, Ambon, Bali, Bunaken, Cendrawasih Bay, Komodo, Lembeh, Maratua Atoll, Raja Ampat, WaKaToBi) & recently went to Maldives in last December. Since you are most interested in big marine life, Maldives is better than Indonesia. Coral-wise, Raja Ampat is the best one with soft corals in Misool & hard corals in West Raja Ampat (Penemu).

Here are some of my trip reports for further information & references:

Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

Maldives 9 - 16 December 2018 TripReport

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom