Where is the Best Overall Diving in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you like wrecks then solomons wins hands down next id rate coron in the philipines NB my avatar is on the Aaron Ward in the solomons- iv e dived Aaron ward 7 times and cant wait to get back for more well worth trip

Seeing the thread was about Asia I didn't mention Micronesia and Melanesia - I'm a big fan of Uepi in the Solomons, the Coolidge and flying boat wreck in Vanuatu and the Japanese mini sub in PNG but....not Asia

Agreed - even in 2008 Similans was not a new destination, nor Richeleiu -Burma Banks was pretty inaccessible then so I broke the law and snuck in and it was good, very good. In 2010 I was shocked at how busy Sims had become, by 2013 I gave up on all but Richeleiu so the Sims were just a part of a trip and I recently asked someone about the now very accessible Burma Banks compared to pre 2010..."Don't bother, all the fish are gone". Used to be a big fish sharky spot worth diving. I don't think it will be long before the Hins go the same way sadly.
Just come here to say things have improved significantly with Similan. I was frankly shocked. Reading all the comments here, I couldn't imagine having the Similan and Surin mostly for our boat of 11 divers, only ever having to share it with up to two other boats and we could stagger our entry time. We had Richelieu Rock for ourselves twice.

Hin Daeng and Hin Muang still have a lot of fish. That area, together with the Koh Doc Mai area, has the most biomass I've ever seen in my entire life. Dives after dives, we couldn't see one another other despite being just a meter or two apart because of all the fish in between ourselves. At any given time, there would be multiple massive schools/balls of fish rushing into one another.

It won't last when the crowd return eventually.
This is the place where most of the LoB based in the Kingdom go.
Enjoy it while you can.

We went to Phi Phi, Lanta and Lipe in December 2019 after several years. We were pleasantly surprised by the improvements in the reefs and the fish life...great macro, lots of turtles, lots of fish and excellent soft coral growth in areas that had been devastated by the bleaching in 2010. I would rate the Philippines and Indonesia definitely higher for diving though, but for a holiday with some diving Thailand is a great option.

but for a holiday with some diving Thailand is a great option
Nothing has changed since this article was written.
It is still head and shoulder above all her closest rivals.

Indonesia Philippines Malaysia. In Alor in Nov 2019, I saw literally thousands of dolphins (didn't dive with them though). Not so much other big stuff. Lembongan--manta and mola mola. Philippines mostly macro where I've been. Yap and Palau (maybe not Asia) haven't been mentioned, both have big stuff (or did when I was last there). Layang Layang was beautiful but I got really tired of spending most of the dive swimming out in the blue hoping to see hammerheads and not. Dive buddy and I were able to stay with the reef and had a great time. The rest joined us after their long swims. Sipidan has tons of turtles, barracuda, sharks and lovely little things. Someone else noted Seaventures. I've also had great luck with their permits, being able to dive Sipidan most days in my stay. (I usually stay 7 or more days which gives me a leg up on getting a permit). Wakatobi is a wonderful (and expensive) place. Anilao is my next trip (May) and then Wakatobi I think in the fall.

I have two weeks in early April to dive with a Junior OW. Where can we go that's a direct flight from SIN? Should we go to Bali? Or Bali + somewhere else in Indonesia after 4 days sandbox in Bali? Returning to Phuket is another option. Though my distaste for Phuket certainly rivals Bali, I find it easier to overlook what I dislike about Bali on land than Phuket. I certainly prefer Similan/Richelieu underwater over anywhere in Bali, but conditions in Bali (not Penida/Lembongan, just Tulamben/Amed) seem easier for my Junior OW. He likes big fish and doesn't like muck though.

Puerto Galera in Philippines.
Moalboal and a special trip to Oslob to see whaleshark(largest fish).

After spending a month in Thailand (Phuket, Phi Phi, Similan, Surin, Richelieu Rock), logging 42 dives without seeing a single shark, I’d say go to Bali.

Here’s my best dive in Similan:

Here’s my best dive in Bali:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom