Where have you experienced the strongest currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gordo Banks, off Cozumel. Ripping! I know exactly what tarzana is talking about, I almost lost my mask several times as I was pulling myself down the line. A couple guys in the first group had to turn back and get back on the boat. One looked at me and was like, I don't know if you'll get to the line. I just smiled, thanked him, looked at my buddy and asked if he was game.

We had serious current on Mohawk off of NJ a few years ago. It was ripping the mask off my face and it was all I could do to hold on the up line. Safety stop was a battle.

House reef at Wakatobi during a tide change, we just flew down the reef, man that was fun!

Cozumel, MX last year. Drift diving there can be challenging and fun. We had this one dive last year that stands out. My husband happened to take a video of it and we are still talking about it with the friends we were diving with that day. We felt like we shot out of cannons - there were tons of fish fighting the current too which may for great viewing along the dive and in the video. What a blast that particular dive was!

Koh Tachi, Andaman Sea, Thailand: Went down the buoy line with great difficulty and that was as far as it went.
North Twins Pinnacle, Mergui Archipelago, Burma (I refuse to call it Myanmar): Over 1/2 the divers were blown off the reef and were scattered all over the surface.

I'd have to say the three that come to mind out of my thousands of dives would be: the King Cruiser wreck diving out of Koh Phi Phi, Thailand; inside the reef off Ambergris Caye, Belize; and Goat Harbor, Catalina. I try to time my dives to avoid a lot of current since I'm a videographer (not to mention an old geezer).

On the King Cruiser wreck my Dutch divemaster misread the tide tables... but I'd follow her anywhere (except deep inside the wreck under those conditions!). On the Catalina dive the current came up suddenly and unexpectedly.

In Belize I was diving with two French instructors. They and the rest of the group were crawling hand over hand along the bottom, grabbing rocks for stability. I was kicking hard and filming as they did. When we got back to the boat, they asked me how I could do that. I told them "good German legs." Fortunately they had a good sense of humor and we went back to their place for a beer afterward and to download all my video to their laptop so they'd have a visual record of the dive!

In my own back yard in SE Florida.
I know a guy who the boat missed the pick up on and he drifted a little over 6 miles before he was pulled out.

So far on the USS Spiegel Grove in Key Largo...we were horizontal and flapping like flags in the current!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom