Where have you experienced the strongest currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Palau. This time German Channel, it was a wonderful drift - apart from losing your mask if you turned your head to either side. I believe we covered close to a couple of miles in around 10 minutes.

The Channel in Gallilie, RI 5 knots only diveable on the slack. Great spot for bugs! Watch out for the Block Island ferry!

For me it is a toss up btw the Maldives and Galapagos. In the Galapagos I was viewing hammerheads while holding onto the rocks. I had turned my head in one direction and almost lost my mask.....In the Maldives I was holding onto the reef then from out of nowhere a moray came and bit me. If I had not held on I surely would have been swept away. Ulong Channel (Palau) in the right tide has a ripping current and you just go with the flow down the Channel for a great ride.

I can think of two places that had very strong currents

"The Canyons" Puerto Galera Philippines

Mainit Point in Anilao Philipines.

as a drift dive...
Palau, Blue Corner. The current was so fast that it almost ripped your mask off your face, and it was so strong the sharks even left! We hooked in using our reef hooks and our cheeks were flapping, I have it on video. :shocked2:

I agree. Palau, Blue corner was a pretty fast and very fun drift dive.

-Mitch

Falls of Lora, under the Connell bridge at Oban. Only dived at minimal tide. An underwater waterfall - we ended up somewhere around the 20-30m range, but apparantly theres a second ledge it's possible to get dragged over. I've kayaked it at the maximum tide and we went through at 12 mph, but it's a lot less when diveable.
HMS Pheasant off Hoy - the tide seems to build from the surface down. At 40m I was at the end of the transfer line with all 4 bouys and heading down - they were seen hitting the seabed at 75-80m. We all ended up separated out in a great long line

Back
Top Bottom