Where do you store your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
I leave mine in the garage, and here in NE Texas we have temp ranges similar to yours. I store them full, and have seen no ill effects yet.

No it's not, temps. are a bit colder there. I used to live there (far N.W. Missouri and far N.E Kansas). You need to get out more. :D

Well, yeah it could be classified as "similar" if you are talkin'
about Michigan during the winter or somewhere. It is pretty close to here...except for the minus 10 degrees or so it gets to sometimes in Missouri or Kansas...and stays there for awhile.

I store my steel full in the closet in the house...burst discs are a good thing. It's the heat that will blow them.

Don't worry too much about it nagel, you should be just fine.

Unless you have to worry about "old air" or something. :D

Tom, check out the pic. in the Coz. forum for the restaruant thing. I think that's it. :wink:

Just out of curiosity, what are the acceptable ambient temperature ranges for o-rings in tanks and regulators? Who makes that determination and where are they listed?

stillhope:
Just out of curiosity, what are the acceptable ambient temperature ranges for o-rings in tanks and regulators? Who makes that determination and where are they listed?

That would be the manufacturers of the O-rings. I don't know if there is a spec from the Compressed Gas Association or not which is where we get a lot of our guidance. Don't bother trying to get any info from CGA. Information is held very tightly with them unless you come to their door with a fat wallet.

PacketSniffer:
Use Viton (shelf life=forever) or EPDM and that problem will go away. Don't get the colored o-rings either. Get black as it's the natural color of the material.

I can vouch for the purple O-rings...one of my dive buddies had fairly new tanks, and the o-ring failed right before we were about to dive (he noticed air leaking) Then the very next week, someone had another one go out (small one) as he was setting up....

Buoyant1:
I can vouch for the purple O-rings...one of my dive buddies had fairly new tanks, and the o-ring failed right before we were about to dive (he noticed air leaking) Then the very next week, someone had another one go out (small one) as he was setting up....

In the experience of PSI, Inc., a trend has been observed with the colored o-rings breaking down over time just "sitting on the shelf". Clay is added for coloring (so I'm told). The clay is quite possibly not doing any good for longevity. Go natural if you have a choice and avoid a potential ruined dive trip.

I store mine in the garage. I figure if they decide to rupture, they can do less harm out there than in my closet.

-----

Mike.

There In The Garage, I Had A Burst Disk Go One Time And Gave Me A Bit Of A Scare. Went Out To Find An Al 80 Lying On Its Side Spinning Mach Ii..

Your tanks should be good in the garage. Heck I have been known to forget that mine are still in the trunk of the car for a week or so.

That just reminds me, my tank is still in the trunk from last weekend...... maybe I should get it out

All lined up in the foyer of our home,,,were else would one store them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom