Where do you shop for UW photo gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fortunate to have Optical Ocean Sales local to me ... and I've known Jack Connick for years, so we have a good business relationship. Besides Jack, his partner Martin Heyn is also active on ScubaBoard (MWH). I like being able to walk in the shop and talk to them in person, and tend to purchase whatever I can through their business. However, they don't sell everything I want to buy ... so I also use Backscatter, Reef Photo & Video, B&H and Adorama. Those businesses cover just about any need I have for photography equipment.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't forget lowly little Haas Photography Inc for Ikelite equipment :)

I'm pretty sure I've contributed a lot of help including posts on shooting photos!

David Haas

www.haasimages.com

I am just starting out but when I called Optical Ocean sales the other day, I was really impressed with the time and advice I received from Martin.

Quite a few people use and like Backscatter, too.

+1 for Backscatter. The only problem I have with Backscatter is getting around their web site, it is very difficult to maneuver if you are looking for something specific, I just call them. They specialize in UW and I've found things there I could never find anywhere else.

Another good thing about Backscatter is that they have an east coast store and a west coast store. Being in Arizona I always use the west coast store. They are very good to deal with.

B & H is my go-to store for everything "camera" but Backscatter is great for UW everything. B & H is big and has to operate as a mega-store so they are rigid in their policies (no special orders, no drop shipping, no backorders, no orders "period" if it isn't in stock the order button is either grayed out or not there and, they will not take orders on new items unless it is in stock and then it is first come first served), Backscatter can work with you.

Bluewater Photo is also very good to deal with.

Okay, here's a consolidation of what people suggested (with websites). These are in no particular order. Seems as if more people like Backscatter and Optical Oceans because they got the biggest number of apparently enthusiastic mentions, but take that for what it's worth. Only one mention was a negative and I've put that at the bottom. As for what prompted me to start this thread, I am happy to say I had a positive experience with Aiko Trading so I added them to the list. Shipping was pricey, but I suspect that's because they had to rush my part from Japan. There was also no notification of shipping and other notifications from website were poor, but customer service (Robert) was very responsive and they delivered as promised. (And they did not get impatient with my "reminding," aka nagging!) Overall a positive experience.

RECCOMMENDED:
B&H (B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders )
Adorama/Leisurepro (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic - Adorama Camera Store or Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com)
Backscatter (Backscatter : Underwater Camera, Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Photography, Waterproof Camera)
Reef Photo & Video (Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros)
AB Sea Photo (AB Sea Photo, Welcome to A B Sea Photo. Home of the worlds largest selection of underwater camera rentals and the smallest underwater camera housings by Oceanhaus. We have been serving underwater photographers in both the professional and recreationa)
Bluewater Photo (Bluewater Photo, Video & Underwater Cameras)
Optical Ocean (Camera & Video Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!)
Hollywood Divers (Hollywood Divers Southern CA's best scuba center and dive training facility 323-969-9875 1-877-OK SCUBA)
Amazon (www.amazon.com)
EBay (www.ebay.com)
Divervision (http://www.divervision.com/)
Haas Photography (http://www.haasimages.com/)
Aiko Trading. (AIKO - Underwater Camera Housing, Underwater Video Housing, Waterproof Camera Case, Replacement. Projector Lamps, Japanese Electronic Dictionary Products)
NOT RECOMMENDED:
unterwasserkamera.at

I've got to give a shout out to TJ at Submerge Cameras (www.submergecamera.com).
I bought my full Ikelite D90 housing, strobes, domes, ports, and pelican case from TJ. Awesome service and friendly staff.
I would recommend Submerge to anyone.

Craig.

Bluewater Photo, B&H and Backscatter are the ones I use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom