Where do you keep your DIN regulator cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its not on my regulators its in my box - usually hung from the handle with the "open end" DOWN to avoid water getting into it..

I left em on the dive shop display shelf where I first saw em. Solution looking for a problem IMO.

( hoping this post doesn't get me kicked out of the DIR forums).

Exactly WHY is the dustcap a solution looking for a problem? :eek:

What does the dust cap actually do?
I can see how it would be nice to have on there in the event of an accidental dunking, but what other purpose do teh really serve?

After the dive, I just take the regs off and put them in their bags. There's no need to have a dust cap as far as I can tell. I don't know what they are solving either.

I pulled them off all of my regs.

They are actually most useful when you transport the regs with other wet gear on the way home from a dive when water can get in from other wet gear. I store my regs without them to allow internal condensation to dry off.

Screwed to the HP plug and in a gear box. This keeps it safe, dry, and not-so-handy.

Same as for me. I remove the tank plugs which keeps out dust and other stuff and prevents gas lost should the valve turn on during driving. (OBTW only use metal ones. They have save well over 75 dives) Remove the dust caps from the regs and screw them on to the plugs. Now place them in my bag or dive box. That way nothing gets into the dust caps and everything is together.

Mine get used for sealing my regs when they get washed. Mine are not just dust caps as they have the grove so the o-ring seals.

I too remove them once they are dryish so that everything can dry out.

I cap regulators offshore and leave them open in my diving locker like Peter_C. You get spray even on a decent size boat. This is especially important on boats that refill the same bottle you use the whole trip, like a lot of liveaboards. I don’t want anyone putting my regulator back on the cylinder for me so I remove and cap the regulator, plug the valve, and ask them to replace the HP plug (hand tight) on the valve after refilling.

I have gotten in the habit of pressurizing regulators when soaking in a deep sink after a dive to eliminate risk of water intrusion. I just use a single that hasn’t been re-filled yet.

This is especially important for Atomic brand second stages because their “Seat Saving Orifice” is open unpressurized… you could fill the LP hose and first stage with water. Not catastrophic, but you could inhale a slug of water and it won’t help the life of the parts.

Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design

I can see how it would be nice to have on there in the event of an accidental dunking, but what other purpose do teh really serve?

After the dive, I just take the regs off and put them in their bags.

So I guess you don't soak or even rinse your regs after diving? That's what I use them for, and storage. No reason to allow small critters to make a home out of my first stages. If they did, can you imagine what would happen to their little ears when the reg is pressurized?

Mine get used for sealing my regs when they get washed. Mine are not just dust caps as they have the grove so the o-ring seals.

I too remove them once they are dryish so that everything can dry out.

Ah, I see now, I attach regs to my pony when rinsing,so no Ned for dust caps really.

Back
Top Bottom