Where do people do research before diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone, new to the site and finding it a bit difficult to navigate around it. Appreciate your help!

I'm from Indonesia, have been diving there 10+ years. Here is a good video to start to get to know some of the environmental projects going on in Indonesia:

Dan, perhaps we could move your post over when Dherd makes the leap over to that subforum?

Thanks everyone, new to the site and finding it a bit difficult to navigate around it. Appreciate your help!

It will get easier

I find that Google's search engine is much better than the one on the board. If you want to search Scubaboard only, you can still do that; just type "site:scubaboard.com" before whatever search terms you choose.

Of course, I often just do a general Google search for my scuba-related questions and end up here anyway, so...

I don't know if there are any really good ways to do this that aren't a total crap shoot. I believed people on SB who recommended dive operations as being fantastic and got seriously burned. I looked at dive operation web sites and found them outright lying with claims and their videos had nothing in common with the actual diving I experienced when I went. I have also researched on-line and picked on my own and got less than wonderful results.

On the other hand I have picked on my own after researching Bonaire and everything was perfect. I don't think I could have made a mistake going there, staying with anyone, and using any dive op. But that's just what I like. I also picked on my own after being on an island and having some idea what was there, what the island was like, and what the diving was like to give me some background to evaluate what was found on-line and from other people and had multiple wonderful experiences.

The difference between a great experience and disappointment had almost nothing to do with what other people like (what I want out of diving might be far different), what the reputation of the dive op is (the rep is built by people who love the place not objective observation), what the reputation of the location/country/island is (tourist promotions for everywhere claim the best everything). And absolutely do not believe the dive operation's web site or claims. What they put there is the absolute best days, in the absolute best conditions, from the absolute best year - and that could have been 20 or more years ago. They might also just outright lie - happened to me once, even though I extensively emailed back and forth.

What does make a difference is knowing exactly what I want, and then asking the right (specific) questions of people who have been there - preferably several times. I need to have a clear idea of what I want in a dive, of what conditions I require, and of what I want/could expect to see, etc. Once I know that, I can find out if my expectations will be met by doing a lot of digging. Too many times I got caught up in general claims of "fantastic". "best place in the world to dive with X", "best diving in the world", "world class diving". Eh - not so much.

You're probably not asking about shore diving, but I will say that I have found googling satellite maps of the areas very helpful.
Parking, entries/exits, long walk?
I have also on occasion found a buddy through the SB sub forums on areas (countries, etc.).

As others have said this is a good place to do research. The more specific you can be about your skill set and expectations the better. For example I strongly prefer to dive independently, extremely slowly, with a guide only for spotting purposes not to provide a tour guide for the reef. I am underwater largely to take pictures. Someone who loves to dive in a group with a tour guide showing them the sites, and cover as much ground as possible will be unlikely to give me good advice on a dive shop or even a location.

SB is by and for REAL divers. I'd give it a 5 dolphins out of 5. Best dive site (pardon the pun) going.
:pinkdolphin::pinkdolphin::pinkdolphin::pinkdolphin: :pinkdolphin:

For new dive sites, I use the Wisconsin Department Natural Resources Lake finder. I can find lakes based on water clarity and then look at the depth and the contour map. It has been a great tool. I am not sure if other states have similar websites.

Back
Top Bottom