Where to learn more about diving in specific places?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone! I'm a relatively new diver (2 years certified, 40 dives) and I usually dive when I travel. However, I've found it difficult to find information about the quality of the diving before I go somewhere; I can usually find some footage and blog posts, which aren't bad, but what I would really like to see is the reviews & experiences of real people. So I wanted to ask: where do you folks go to do some research on certain locations?

I've used the SB sub forums for travel. Also, simply the internet to contact shops in the areas, etc.

Yeah, here on Scubaboard. There is a magazine called Undercurrent that has good info on destinations organized in a useful way, though you can probably find much of the same info here someplace.

Certain magazines are mostly about the advertising, fine to enjoy the pretty pics and get ideas, but not necessarily a source of reliable info. Hopefully those will be obvious.

General travel sites like travelocity can be great for hotel reviews and many other mainstream things, but not so much for dive info. Serious divers will post reviews on dive forums not general travel forums, where reviews tend to be from people who either dive infrequently and think everything is awesome, or have unreasonable expectations of how things should be. Just like anything lots of reading between the lines is required.

Facebook groups can be useful for the area they specialize in. But asking in say a regional US Fb dive group about diving on some Caribbean island, while it may get some answers, from what I have seen they may not be very good ones.

Top 10, 50, 100 lists are generally suspect.

Well, I was going to suggest another site but I see you're already there. SB and DB are the 2 best for researching dive sites that I know of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom