Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a 30 ffw (say) recreational solo dive in benign conditions,
... I wish I knew what those conditions were like. I have only dove in my local conditions. Diving off Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada, conditions vary quite a bit. Most of the ppI I dive with, all dive self reliant; I have since my 1st dive as a cert diver.

Who are you to make distinctions you're no Solo diver pony or buddy diver you should stop kidding yourself

93173465_631482254361374_8710380838077857792_n (1).jpg

I have watched a diver go diving by himself, with no redundant air. I also watched him pop up on the surface with a failed hose. A pony tank does one no good, if it is in your trunk or dive locker. Diving by oneself, without the redundancies, is just that, diving by yourself, not Solo diving.

Punta La Mona. S Spain.
Sea bass are going crazy at the mo but I’m no spiro so it’s wasted on me.

Reactions: Ana
For what it’s worth...12L only if I dive within 10m.
3L pony added for dives to 20m
Past 20m I twin up.
That’s as conservative as I feel I need to be.
I figure I can get up if I blow a hose from 10m. Etc.

Had a lovely dive at the local quarry today. Good viz. Pulled out my LP50s as I’ve not dived them for a year at least and need to check weighting. I dived SM as I always do.

Is a diving by oneself yourself not solo diving diver somewhat of a lower stature
No. You are just off diving by yourself. I would equate it with riding a motorbike while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. You can do it all you want. It is quite liberating ... until something goes south.

Today I soloed the second best dive site in all of Alberta: Twin Lakes. Vis was less than 10’, dry suit was very necessary at depth despite bikini weather on the surface. Plenty of sunken junk to see down there but no macroscopic fauna this time.

Had an incipient free-flow at 100’ just now, after foolishly using my main reg to top up a floating bucket. The resistance of the reg was less than zero, like it was forcing air into my mouth! It went away on its own, no problem, but that bulky 20L pony never felt so good…

Today I soloed the second best dive site in all of Alberta: Twin Lakes. Vis was less than 10’, dry suit was very necessary at depth despite bikini weather on the surface. Plenty of sunken junk to see down there but no macroscopic fauna this time.

Had an incipient free-flow at 100’ just now, after foolishly using my main reg to top up a floating bucket. The resistance of the reg was less than zero, like it was forcing air into my mouth! It went away on its own, no problem, but that bulky 20L pony never felt so good…
Jonn
Glad you had a good dive and a safe one!

I just swapped my 40 L Catalina to a deco tank So I had it oxygen cleaned and the regulator first and second stage O2 cleaned and swapped out for O2 safe gear. Three times this week that second stage reg has gone into free flow.

I can lose 500 psi in just a few seconds in free flow. That always blows my mind.

Free flow at 130 feet? Forget about it!

What is the first best?
The first best dive site in all of Alberta is Lake Minnewanka, in Banff. Okay-ish vis most of the time, large historical structures to look at, good access and amenities. Even better as an ice dive in the winter! That’s quite a hike from Edmonton though, Twin Lakes is our local spot.

There’s a few other places around for the cheap and desperate but Alberta is mostly vacation divers. I try to get out to Vancouver Island twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom