Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visited Armageddon - The dumping ground for the ruins of the old Frederikstad pier destroyed in a hurricane. Surface swim to the shallow wrecks, descended on the Northwind Tug. Branched off toward the south and west remaining at 35 ft. There is a scattering of truck chassis, tires, pipes, and rubble, so I followed the debris field to the dump site. Coral is starting to establish itself on this junk pile. Kind of wish there wasn't the scattering of old tires and a plastic bucket in the rubble, but rather enjoyable. Vis was much better than the past few weeks. Easily approaching 100 ft in the rubble pile, but somewhat less at the shallow wrecks.

Attachments

• 1717982687280.png
    1717982687280.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1717982726261.png
    1717982726261.png
    441.5 KB · Views: 18
But can you make an SOS call on that phone? If you are close enough to a tower, even an inactive phone "should" be able to dial 911.

Some phones can send distress signals via satellite in the absence of cell coverage, but I wouldn't want to be reliant on a phone for emergency communication in this situation. Personally, I carry a PLB.

Lake Whatcom.

A few years back I snorkeled this area looking for the last of the three sumken tugs on the lake, and stumbled across the remains of the old sawmill and dock. At the time I couldn't get any deeper to see what else was out there, but now I can.

And the answer is... not much.

There are two sunken docks and a pile of rusted machinery, and a lot of waterlogged trees, but not much more than I could see last time. It is a wild experience swimming along what you think is the bottom and suddenly there is a square hole in it because it is actually the floor of the old mill. Need to do some research on the layout of the former facility to put context to what I was seeing.

Dive time 45 minutes
Max depth 15'
2350 start, 1150 finish

But what was through the square hole? I've windsurfed there and at Samish, can't say I'd want to dive either one.

left home at 4 am arrive around 6 am by 7 i was in the water. I fought a cold for 3 days but decide to go it was great. I was not in good physical shape so i took it really easy. Two short dive of about 30 min each max depth was 30 feet. Water temp 18 celcius. When i arrive back home i slept for two hours 😴😴. The dive was in brockville ontario. Next day of diving will be june 28 th.

Be safe

Attachments

• IMG_6071.jpeg
    IMG_6071.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6069.jpeg
    IMG_6069.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
Rust-Op-Twist this afternoon. Followed the pipe out until the top of the wall - about 35 feet. Headed west today. After 35 ft, the bottom rapidly drops out of the ocean. Maintained depth of 50 ft as that's where things looked interesting. Half an hour out, I ascended to the top of the wall and returned to the pipe. I had plenty of air and NDL, so I traced the pipe northward. The pipe vanishes into the blue, so I turned to shore.
1718490850077.png

1718490878503.png

I like reading about where people are diving in the Basic Diving Forum, and thought it would be great to read about where people are solo diving, too.

Saturday was sunny and beautiful and I went for a dive in Colpoy's Bay, off Georgian Bay. Took the newest member of my tank family (ALu40) for a dive. Water temp 1C/34F, one degree warmer than last week.

Air temp 3C/37F, viz 15 meters/50 ft, depth 11 meters/37 ft, 24 min dive.

Still a wee bit of snow left from that storm on Monday, but there's no sign of ice on the water.

Underwater the quality of light was like being in a cathedral, sunlight streaming down on the limestone rock. That's my favourite kind of solo dive, like meditiation.

Little itty bitty fish were awake, too. Algae growth still not started since the water's too cold.

When I came home there were about 15 wild turkeys on my lawn. I was too slow for dinner.
St andrews st park florida

Davis Bay (Carambola Resort). Surface swim out to the buoy. Descend to the mooring at 20', then return to surface to untangle my raft from the buoy. Proceeded west at 55'. Located mooring 950' west of Davis Bay mooring. Turned dive at 2000' distance and returned at 35'. At Davis Bay the wall starts its break at 35-40', and descends at 60 degree slope. At my turn point, the break was at 60', and the slope was no longer as dramatic. Interesting sand channel structure initially, not so much later in the dive, but more interesting reef life. The top of the reef on the return had lots of colorful coral, and a whole bouquet of reef fish.
1718574222448.png
1718574271833.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom