Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did something a little different yesterday ... me and three of my buddies conducted a survey for the projected resting place of a 365 foot ship that's scheduled to become an artificial reef later this year.

We did a slow scan of the bottom over a 400-foot by 100-foot area ... taking depth measurements, noting the location of any rocks and obstacles that might interfere with how the ship would come to rest, and taking HD video of any life forms we found.

Total survey time was 52 minutes on 25/25 at a depth of between 92 and 114 feet. We then took 10 minutes to ascend to 20 feet on backgas, 10 minutes on O2 at 20 feet, and another 5 minutes to ascend from 20 feet to the surface.

When we reached the surface, it was snowing ... (beautiful, but after 77 minutes in 42 degree water, it made me feel even colder) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not today, but been traveling the last couple of days and no internet -- dove for 9 days in Kasitsna Bay in Alaska (south of Homer) getting my AAUS cert and my drysuit cert.

Brrr. Some people saw sea lions and otters while diving. I only saw them from the surface, but I did see a really cool nudibranch (melibe leonina) on a night dive.

Brr, sounds cold. Did a nice little shore dive today with some guys from the dive shop. Saw 4 or 5 lionfish, some other stuff. Nice looking reef at the south end of Guam. My buddy lost his watch:depressed:. He didn't notice it 'till the end of the dive, at least it wasn't his computer! Here's the specs:
Dive time: 52min
Max Depth: 78ft
Avg Depth: 37ft
and here's the best part:
Min Temp: 81F:)

Today. Another 35F dive-17 mins. at my house here in Nova Scotia in the good old 7 mil. Last one for 2 months, as I need a hernia operation. These keep me in shape to start DM in the Fall. Dive # 125. Next NS dive the temp. will be over 40F in June. Balmy.

Aaah! I extended my diving season today by doing my first ever dry suit dive!

Bainbridge Quarry
Bainbridge, PA

Max Depth: 43 ffw
Duration: 33 minutes
Temps: 38 degrees F. (I YI YI!)

The nice thing was when I got out of the water and unsuited....I was dry! (now I just need to learn how to "wrangle" that dang thing!)

Well, you fared better than I did. After a week of "dry" suit diving, I was still working on the wrangling, but I was NEVER once dry underneath. :(

I did get a taste for how wonderful it could be if I had a suit that fit me properly, though.

Well, you fared better than I did. After a week of "dry" suit diving, I was still working on the wrangling, but I was NEVER once dry underneath. :(

I did get a taste for how wonderful it could be if I had a suit that fit me properly, though.

Well being dry after was the only positive! hahaha!

I found out what happens if you get too much air in your legs (thankfully only at about 10-15 feet) Like the guy I dove with said "we dusted off the platforms":D

It'll only get better! (unless it gets worse)

Dove at Three Sisters in the Crystal River, FL on Friday and then at Ginnie Springs on Saturday. The galaxy diver Saturday night was fantastic:D

Did Blue Springs in Orange City, FL yesterday. Water was chilly, but made for a nice day close to home. Got to try out my new wetsuit, too!

Bought a FL state park annual pass, too. Only $40, so after four dives at Blue Springs it's basically paid for. Worth every penny! :D

Did something a little different yesterday ... me and three of my buddies conducted a survey for the projected resting place of a 365 foot ship that's scheduled to become an artificial reef later this year.

We did a slow scan of the bottom over a 400-foot by 100-foot area ... taking depth measurements, noting the location of any rocks and obstacles that might interfere with how the ship would come to rest, and taking HD video of any life forms we found.

Total survey time was 52 minutes on 25/25 at a depth of between 92 and 114 feet. We then took 10 minutes to ascend to 20 feet on backgas, 10 minutes on O2 at 20 feet, and another 5 minutes to ascend from 20 feet to the surface.

When we reached the surface, it was snowing ... (beautiful, but after 77 minutes in 42 degree water, it made me feel even colder) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My today dive was not as glamorous as yours Bob.

At Keystone Jetty my buddy and I met a solo diver who had just came out of the water and told us that it was like diving in a washing machine!

We looked at each other and quickly changed our plan (which was to swim to the end of the jetty to a depth of about 50/60feet): we would let the the will of the current to lead us as long as it would not drag us out into the ferry lane and stay at a shallower depth.

Off we went...It was indeed like being in a washing machine!

First the current stubbornly wanted to push us back to the beach, we wrestle with it, then at around 30feet it pushed us east toward the pilings, then west back toward the jetty, then we reached the 'rinse cycle' where the current calmed down for a bit so we swam toward the rocks of the jetty and then we let the current drag us back to the beach to end the dive.

The kelp is growing back and looks awesome! Papa ling cods were guarding their eggs (I almost bumped my face into a pair of those paternal jaws!) and tucked inside the dark holes of the rocks baby rock fish were hiding to avoid to become the next meal of bachelors ling cods that were patrolling the bottom next to the jetty.

Good night

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom