Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took the newest member of my tank family (ALu40) for a dive in Colpoys Bay. Water temp 1C/34F, one degree warmer than last week.

Air temp 3C/37F, viz 15 meters/50 ft, depth 11 meters/37 ft, 24 min dive.

Still a wee bit of snow left from that storm on Monday

Underwater the quality of light was like being in a cathedral, sunlight streaming down on the limestone rock. Little itty bitty fish were awake, too.

Attachments

• ALu40x.jpg
    ALu40x.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 44
  • april 11 cedar hill 2x.jpg
    april 11 cedar hill 2x.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 42
  • april 11 cedar hillx.jpg
    april 11 cedar hillx.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 47
Ok, it wasn't all in one day... :rofl3:

[table 0 0 3]#|Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
369|Davy Crocker, Florida Keys|52 Minutes|8M/26Ft|25C/77F
370|Hen and Chickens, Florida|50 Minutes|5M/16Ft|25C/77F
371|Spiegel Grove, Florida Keys|44 Minutes|30M/100Ft|25C/77F
372|Molasses Reef, Florida Keys|47 Minutes|6M/18Ft|25C/77F
373|Snapper Ledge, Florida Keys|45 Minutes|7M/33Ft|25C/77F
374|Pickles Reef, Florida Keys|51 Minutes|8M/26Ft|25C/77F
375|Haunted House, North Wall, Grand Cayman|46 Minutes|28M/91Ft|25C/77F
376|Princess Penny's Pinnacle, North Wall, Grand Cayman|15 Minutes|11M/36Ft|25C/77F
377|Cara a Cara, Roatan|47 Minutes|21M/69Ft|27C/80F
378|Barrier Reef, Belize|53 Minutes|19M/62Ft|27C/80F
379|Barrier Reef, Belize|52 Minutes|20M/65Ft|27C/80F
380|Palancar Caves, Cozumel|60 Minutes|32M/105Ft|27C/80F
381|Tormentos Reef, Cozumel|59 Minutes|19M/62Ft|26C/78F[/table]
So, where did you dive today? :)
Nice holiday! :D

Today, I dove in Thunersee (Lake Thun) to see a very big wall. Visibility was good (about 50 feet). 43 minutes, 158 feet/48 meters, 40F/4C.

Thunersee.jpg

Ok, ok...so it wasn't actually today.....

Those of you that know me know that I don't dive (at least underwater...my chamber dives as a nurse have been many more in the last 2 years!!!) as much as I would like to!! I actually did 2 dives this past week....

Wednesday 8 April 2009, Atlantis...this was great because the kite surfers were actually off that day so we could dive the actual site. EASY entry, especially with the sandy beach. Great soft corals and I got a great pic of a turtle!

Saturday 11 April 2009, Karpata...OMG this was amazing. The fish life was unbelieveable. My favs were french angels (intermediate and adult), queen angel, the anchor at about 30 feet. Oh and the biggest midnight parrot fish I have ever seen!!! Here comes this parrot fish right to me and my camera dies!!!! Low battery!!! I have to crop pics and will post tomorrow!

Liz

I had an interesting dive last night at my local mudhole ... Redondo. Over the past few weeks I've been finding lumpsuckers there fairly regularly ... until about a week ago. Then ... four dives in a row ... no lumpies. Now, they're not exactly a common sighting in Puget Sound ... most Puget Sound divers go hundreds of dives without ever seeing one. So I was kinda thinking that something must've brought 'em here ... and maybe that something was no longer here to attract 'em ... because suddenly they weren't here anymore.

Being a stubborn cuss, I kept trying ... the bottle field where I've been finding them is between 80 and 100 feet, and finding one usually takes some effort ... so I typically kick down there pretty fast and spend my entire NDL time looking ... or taking pictures if I find one.

Anyway, tonight was a bit different. I spotted some "unusual" things on my way down and stopped for some pictures. So when I got down there, I figured I'd be hitting deco before heading back up. I kicked around down there ... slowly ... carefully ... looking for lumpie sign. Nothin' ...

I was just about to give up when I noticed a stir in the silt ahead of me. As I approached, I noticed a dungeness crab trying desperately to get away from a big ol' sun star. Now, usually they just run away ... but this one seemed to be trapped. Getting a bit closer, I could see that she'd gotten a bit of old fishing line wrapped around a couple of her claws, and as that fishing line was strung all over the bottom, it had her well tied in place. A second sun star was closing in. I put down my camera, picked up the crab, broke the fishing line, and turned her loose. Without so much as a "thanks", she took off like a screamin' banshee away from me and those sun stars. Well, OK ... time to go.

On a whim ... or maybe just because I was a bit narced ... I turned my eyes surfaceward and had a thought ... "Hey, Big Guy ... I just saved one of Your critters from an ugly death. There's this thing called karma ... how about finding me a lumpie on the way outta this bottle field." Silly me ... I'm not that sort, and even if I was, He don't work that way.

On the other hand ... about 30 seconds later, there it was ... sitting on a bottle just as pretty as you please.

I stopped, got my pictures ... turned my eyes surfaceward again and said "Thanks Dude ... now let's talk about my 401K."

Anyway ... here's some shots from the dive ... in truth, the lumpie shot turned out to be less interesting than some of the other ones I took ...

Here's an ochre star muchin' out on nudibranch eggs ...

IMG_2692.jpg

A rock sole giving me the "stink-eye" ...

IMG_2703.jpg

A dungeness crab enjoying the remains of a fish ...

IMG_2707.jpg

A juvenile golden dirona ... almost translucent ...

IMG_2708.jpg

A tiny red octo trying to decide whether it wanted in or out of a beer bottle ...

IMG_2719.jpg

... and finally ... lumpie ... you can see why they call 'em that ...

IMG_2737.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Today, I dove in Thunersee (Lake Thun) to see a very big wall. Visibility was good (about 50 feet). 43 minutes, 158 feet/48 meters, 40F/4C.

Thunersee.jpg

Gorgeous view ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had an interesting dive last night at my local mudhole ... Redondo. Over the past few weeks I've been finding lumpsuckers there fairly regularly ... until about a week ago. Then ... four dives in a row ... no lumpies. Now, they're not exactly a common sighting in Puget Sound ... most Puget Sound divers go hundreds of dives without ever seeing one. So I was kinda thinking that something must've brought 'em here ... and maybe that something was no longer here to attract 'em ... because suddenly they weren't here anymore.

Being a stubborn cuss, I kept trying ... the bottle field where I've been finding them is between 80 and 100 feet, and finding one usually takes some effort ... so I typically kick down there pretty fast and spend my entire NDL time looking ... or taking pictures if I find one.

Anyway, tonight was a bit different. I spotted some "unusual" things on my way down and stopped for some pictures. So when I got down there, I figured I'd be hitting deco before heading back up. I kicked around down there ... slowly ... carefully ... looking for lumpie sign. Nothin' ...

I was just about to give up when I noticed a stir in the silt ahead of me. As I approached, I noticed a dungeness crab trying desperately to get away from a big ol' sun star. Now, usually they just run away ... but this one seemed to be trapped. Getting a bit closer, I could see that she'd gotten a bit of old fishing line wrapped around a couple of her claws, and as that fishing line was strung all over the bottom, it had her well tied in place. A second sun star was closing in. I put down my camera, picked up the crab, broke the fishing line, and turned her loose. Without so much as a "thanks", she took off like a screamin' banshee away from me and those sun stars. Well, OK ... time to go.

On a whim ... or maybe just because I was a bit narced ... I turned my eyes surfaceward and had a thought ... "Hey, Big Guy ... I just saved one of Your critters from an ugly death. There's this thing called karma ... how about finding me a lumpie on the way outta this bottle field." Silly me ... I'm not that sort, and even if I was, He don't work that way.

On the other hand ... about 30 seconds later, there it was ... sitting on a bottle just as pretty as you please.

I stopped, got my pictures ... turned my eyes surfaceward again and said "Thanks Dude ... now let's talk about my 401K."

Anyway ... here's some shots from the dive ... in truth, the lumpie shot turned out to be less interesting than some of the other ones I took ...

A rock sole giving me the "stink-eye" ...

IMG_2703.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I like the grim of the Rock Sole. Last time Sam and I went diving at your local mudhole we missed the bottle field and the possibility to spot a Spiny Lumpsucker, but , on the other hand, we saw for the first time a mosshead warbonnet. Unfortunately we did not have the camera with us. We dived back down there a second time with the camera and the hope to see the fish again, but we did not get as lucky as you did with the SLS.

I like the grim of the Rock Sole. Last time Sam and I went diving at your local mudhole we missed the bottle field and the possibility to spot a Spiny Lumpsucker, but , on the other hand, we saw for the first time a mosshead warbonnet. Unfortunately we did not have the camera with us. We dived back down there a second time with the camera and the hope to see the fish again, but we did not get as lucky as you did with the SLS.

Whenever you and Sam want to go, just let me know. We'll need to get you into a bigger tank ... you'll be spending most of the dive between 80 and 90 feet, and those lumpies can sometimes take some effort to find.

I found one the other night that took me on a tour of the bottle field ... stayed with him for maybe 15 minutes while he swam around from place to place. Here's a few pics ... I really like the facial expression on the last shot ...

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Today was two days ago. At Admiralty beach tire reef I played the game "how many sea quirts can you fit on a tire?". If you want to see sunflower and spiny pink stars on steroids this site is the place to go. The sunflower stars dig holes that are almost 3 feet deep!

The first part of the dive was fun without even current, we expected it after looking at the predictions. I saw a fish that still intrigues me because it may have been a roselip sculpin and I have read that its habitat is usually the open coast and the Strait of Juan de Fuca not Puget Sound area. Unfortunately only the head of the fish was visible, the rest was hidden inside what it looked like an empty giant barnacle shell and I did not have the camera with me because during the second part of the dive I was supposed to practice the deployment of my 6ft SMB.

So let's move on to the second part of the dive. At about 5Oft I tryed to hover few feet above the bottom and inflate that bloody SMB with my corrugated hose and keep holding the spool without entangling myself at the same time. I did manage to put some air in there but my buddy kept telling me that it was not enough. So I did again two more times and by then my air was down to 750PSI. The SMB went up to the surface and I told my buddy that it was time to go back.

So I thought that we were going to practice a vertical ascent following the SMB line (As far as I remembered we had agreed on that before getting in the water). Instead my buddy signaled me to follow the bottom. Reluctantly I followed him, he was holding the spool and dragging the SMB. But when I saw that the slope that took us to the bottom was nowhere to be seen and my air was down to 500PSI I gave him the thumb up and he agreed to do the vertical ascent. So off we went.

Everything was OK until we reach 20 feet and we had to stop to do our safety stop. It was then that the buoyancy dance began! From neutral all at sudden became really positive while I kept an eye on the computer (this time I had the computer, and my buddy did not have a depth gauge...:shakehead:) my ascent rate went from slow/normal to fast and with some fiddling back down to normal/slow. The computer safety stop time was all messed up so at some point I thought "screw the safety stop and let's go to the surface!". Anyway we hung in there and finally reached the surface with a decent ascent rate. What a trip!

We then swam back to the beach and retrieved the entangled line and SMB. My pressure gauge was almost down to zero...:shakehead:

Whenever you and Sam want to go, just let me know. We'll need to get you into a bigger tank ... you'll be spending most of the dive between 80 and 90 feet, and those lumpies can sometimes take some effort to find.

I found one the other night that took me on a tour of the bottle field ... stayed with him for maybe 15 minutes while he swam around from place to place. Here's a few pics ... I really like the facial expression on the last shot ...

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree. These guys are quite cute-funny looking. I also noticed that it is in the company of several brittle sea stars.

YES we will let you know when we would like to see the Redondo battlefield and search for a SLS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom