Where can you buy scubapro twin jet fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I'm not a jet fin fan. Maybe it's age or something but they're too hard on my legs. I was a jet fin fan for years. Now I'm off to splits and they work just fine :)

I thought it was just because they didn't make Jets in bright Yellow! :wink:

kidspot:
I thought it was just because they didn't make Jets in bright Yellow! :wink:
And paint doesn't stick well.

Yeah if you lived here and dove my mudholes you'd have bright yellers too :)

Over the last several years most of the special ops folks, Rangers, SEALS, USMC RECON, USAF PARA-RESCUE have adopted the newer split fin techonology. They always use XL size for reals ops since they are wearing combat boots. When in training they order 3 or more sizes. These brave men do not care about scubaboard or brand names. We never use this info in our ads or promo material. I am a USMC Vietnam Vet. I have been diving since 1971. I have 1000+ logged dives and another 1500 or so unlogged. My first fins were Jet fins. I have had 15-20 pairs of fins, Voit Duck feet, Mares Plana and Avanti, Cressi Frogs, USD blades, etc. The split fin technology works. If you want to do a wide scissor kick, a dolphin kick, a backward kick. a vertical hold, just buy a stiffer version of the split fins. This past month we outfitted several special ops groups with bio-fins. They prefer the original bio-fin pro since it offers the least resistance and the most propulsion with all styles of kicks. If you know some of these folks you can verify it yourself. On the other hand, if you like your Jets, good for you. Lots of safe diving to all.

ebay is the cheapest way to go but its always good to go to the local dive shop for service/help. at my local shop, the split fins go for 190usd and i have seen them on ebay for 100..

its all how you shop

mdb:
Over the last several years most of the special ops folks, Rangers, SEALS, USMC RECON, USAF PARA-RESCUE have adopted the newer split fin techonology. They always use XL size for reals ops since they are wearing combat boots. When in training they order 3 or more sizes. These brave men do not care about scubaboard or brand names. We never use this info in our ads or promo material. I am a USMC Vietnam Vet. I have been diving since 1971. I have 1000+ logged dives and another 1500 or so unlogged. My first fins were Jet fins. I have had 15-20 pairs of fins, Voit Duck feet, Mares Plana and Avanti, Cressi Frogs, USD blades, etc. The split fin technology works. If you want to do a wide scissor kick, a dolphin kick, a backward kick. a vertical hold, just buy a stiffer version of the split fins. This past month we outfitted several special ops groups with bio-fins. They prefer the original bio-fin pro since it offers the least resistance and the most propulsion with all styles of kicks. If you know some of these folks you can verify it yourself. On the other hand, if you like your Jets, good for you. Lots of safe diving to all.

Show me a backwards kick with a split fin and I'll buy a round of drinks and admit I'm wrong. Until then, publications, experience, prove otherwise.

You do not need to buy any drinks Mel, Just go diving with a pair of Apollo XT'S. You can do any kick, backward kick etc. with the stiffer versions of split fins.

mdb:

Don't be trying to reason with those jet fin folks. It's like arguing religion or politics.

I started just a few years before you and have also logged thousands of dives. Not that it means anything but I recall those Duck Feet. My god even when I was young they'd tear me up.

For this old fart it's splits or nothing.

I took a pair of new split fins and my 20 year old gorilla fins to the pool for a comparison.
The test was no scuba gear just mask and fins, one breath of air and a full lap timed.
With the gorilla fins it took me 35 seconds, the split fins 30 seconds.
Here's the kicker, with the split fins I just made it on one breath. Using the gorilla fins I could have swam further.
The split fins have less resistance and a much higher kicking cadence that uses your cardio system, higher heart rate
The gorilla fins have more kicking resistance and lower kicking cadence that uses your leg muscles, lower heart rate.
for me, the higher cadence and heart rate made me want to breath sooner than using a slower more powerful kick.
Maybe the deciding factors should be choosing the fin that best matches your physical abilities based on muscle mas and cardio conditioning.

cnctina:
Maybe the deciding factors should be choosing the fin that best matches your physical abilities based on muscle mas and cardio conditioning.

So you're saying that those of us that are in shape should use paddle fins, and that lazy, out of shape divers should be in splits?

mdb:
You do not need to buy any drinks Mel, Just go diving with a pair of Apollo XT'S. You can do any kick, backward kick etc. with the stiffer versions of split fins.

See my response above.

Mel

melfox26:
Show me a backwards kick with a split fin and I'll buy a round of drinks and admit I'm wrong. Until then, publications, experience, prove otherwise.

I'm not sure why you're so vehemently against split fins. I use a set of Genesis Aquaflex and a set of black Scubapro Twin Jets.

I love both, but the majority of the time now, my Aquaflex sit in my divebag unused. I do both coldwater drysuit diving, and tropical diving. I have even been known to carry a camera and strobe from time to time.

I've had no problem with any type of kick with my splits. However, we did a test with the cobalt blue version of the twin jets, and everyone despised them.

Also, for the record, most of the people I know who were jetfin users, have switched to the black scubapro twin jets.

Each to their own. If it doesn't work for you... great... don't beat someone else up over it just because they prefer them and that they actually work for that person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom