Where can I find wolf eels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I move back to Rochester in 2 weeks. I've seen everything I want to see so far except wolf eels (well, except the 6-gill shark, but that's an exception)

I want to see wolf eels. Are there any shore dive spots in the area that wolf eels frequent? I prefer depths that are shallower than 75fsw, but can do as deep as 100fsw - I only have an AL80 tank, so, the shallower, the better...

I'd love to know, please - especially because I probably won't dive around here again. Thanks...

I'm also thinking of using a dive boat vendor this weekend, so, any advice with that as telling where to go for prime spots of wolf eels and other marine life will be appreciated too.

yukoneer:
I move back to Rochester in 2 weeks. I've seen everything I want to see so far except wolf eels (well, except the 6-gill shark, but that's an exception)

I want to see wolf eels. Are there any shore dive spots in the area that wolf eels frequent? I prefer depths that are shallower than 75fsw, but can do as deep as 100fsw - I only have an AL80 tank, so, the shallower, the better...

I'd love to know, please - especially because I probably won't dive around here again. Thanks...

I'm also thinking of using a dive boat vendor this weekend, so, any advice with that as telling where to go for prime spots of wolf eels and other marine life will be appreciated too.

Day Island Wall and Sunrise (Gig Harbor) are both well-known spots for wolfies.

This upcoming week-end, tides are favorable in the afternoon to dive those sites. Both are reasonably accessible from shore, but I would recommend diving them with someone who has done it before ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob's right on the money for the most likely wolfeel dives. I dove Day Island yesterday and saw 14 wolfeel; 5 couples and 4 singles. The top of the wall ranges from 45-75' with the bottom in the 80-100' range. The vast majority of the wolfies are in the crevices along the top of the wall so you wouldn't even need to hit the bottom if you prefer. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies about the site, to include strong and often unpredictable currents, so be sure to go with someone who knows the site well.

I did Sunrise just over a week ago and saw 4 wolfeel there. A female lives in a small hole half way up the face of the south wall (probably around 30'). Some used to call her Scarlet but now that she is maturing, she is more of a milk chocolate color. Another long time resident couple lives at the base of a boulder just down-slope from the south wall (70'). They are very used to being fed so don't be surprised to see the big male come out to greet you. There was another juvenile in a small den to the north but I don't think I could describe the location.

Sunrise has a bit of a hike down a steep hill and surface swim/shallow water walk to get to the starting point. Currents can pick up here as well but are generally more consistent and manageable than Day Island. Sunrise is also a shallow dive and has more life in general than Day Island. Here too I would recommend a guide as you could miss the resident wolfeel.

Don't forget Sund Rock over on Hood Canal. No current or depth issues.

gcbryan:
Don't forget Sund Rock over on Hood Canal. No current or depth issues.
Excellent suggestion. It's almost a for sure thing there.

As for a dive charter, the 2 that I recommend are Bandito Charters which usually departs from Tacoma and Pacific Adventure. Don and Diane run an excellent trip and Don will be happy for the excuse to dive with you if you don't have a buddy.

I dont know if your willing but I dove out of Nanaimo on Vancover Island a while ago and we came across 6 wolfeels on one dive. The exact name of the site escapes me now but if your interested I would dig up the location for you. Beside wolfeels there is obviously some exellent wreck diving in the area, a great way to remember the PNW!

JUMBO

jumbo:
I dont know if your willing but I dove out of Nanaimo on Vancover Island a while ago and we came across 6 wolfeels on one dive. The exact name of the site escapes me now but if your interested I would dig up the location for you. Beside wolfeels there is obviously some exellent wreck diving in the area, a great way to remember the PNW!

JUMBO
Clarke Rocks, most likely ... that's where the charters like to take people who want to see wolfies ... but to my concern it's not one of the more interesting dive sites up there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

funkyspelunker:
Sunrise Beach near Gig Harbor is the place to go to see Wolf Eels. I wrote a review of the site, it includes directions and a photo gallery if you're interested.

Sunrise Beach - Gig Harbor, WA

that's an excellent website. thanks for sharing.

to all, i'm not in Seattle anymore. didn't have a chance to see the wolfies, but that gives me a reason to go back to the PNW and dive again :D

Thanks for the compliment Yukoneer. BTW Gratefuldiver, can you (or anyone else) recommend places to dive nearer to Victoria, or is all the good diving up-island? I used to live in Vic, but it was before I was a diver so I never got a chance to check out what those waters have to offer. I'd love to bring my gear on my next visit though.

Back
Top Bottom